Any pre 1725 council documents affirming marriage only between man and woman?

I am speaking with a dutch '‘old catholic’'as they are called,and they allow same sex marriage ,I was wondering are there any council documents saying marriage is only between two sexes?they don’t accept papal infallibility , a papal encyclical won’t do.

I thought I heard it explained one time that according to Catholic teaching, one of the requirements was that the couple being married would have to be open to conception.

Not sure, but I seemed to remember that.

I can’t even imagine the subject ever coming up in prior centuries. Same sex marriage would have been considered absurd on its face. If two persons are not capable of conjugal relations ordered to procreation, there could be no marriage. That has been the Catholic Church’s view, as well as most of society’s, view for over two thousand years.

It’s unlikely. If nobody is pushing it why make a pronouncement on something that isn’t an issue? This is very modern, was anyone suggesting gay marriage in the 17th century?

Try:
Genesis 1:27-28
Hebrews 13:1-5
Romans 1:26-28
Jude 1:5-8
1 Timothy 1:8-11
Mark 10:6-9
1 Corinthians 7:2

…and many others quotes from the Bible, all of which were before 1725.

why would you expect there to be such a document?

The “old catholics” are just another schismatic group. They came about because they oppose the papacy. Gee, wasn’t Satan the first to do that?

Where you ask is that written anywhere?

LK22:

When Jesus said “[FONT=Arial]Satan has asked to sift you [FONT=Calibri]ς plural] as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you [/FONT] singular],Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen στήρισον ]your brothers[/FONT].”[/FONT]

In the following link, the apostles were in that argument over who is greatest among THEM. Jesus validates Peter is the greatest among them. And based on what Jesus said, (using the Greek translations for the words Jesus used) Jesus describes the papacy to come. Anyone rejecting this after Jesus clears that up, is being sifted by Satan.

Links are operational

Gen 2:24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife בְּאִשְׁתֹּ֔ו ], and they become one flesh. (Hebrew text)

Eph 5:31 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife γυναῖκα ], and they become one flesh. (Greek text)

OT and NT testify to that truth.

Violate that in the way they violate it, means eternal separation in hell. If you’d like that passage, I’ll be happy to print that as well for them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.