Any pro-life health insurance provider recommendations?

Hi all,

The health insurance provider I’m with might be covering abortions, etc. Is there one I can sign on with in the U.S. that doesn’t do so?

My mom pays for my insurance and the insurance provider is basically the place she works at. I mean, if need be, I’m young enough to where I might be able to go without insurance until I can afford it. I don’t know if that’s the best idea however.

As you can tell, I’m not too knowledgeable about this particular area and its potential dillemmas, but I’d like to do the right thing.

Thanks for reading, and helping should you do so.

-DC

Actually, quite a few carriers do not cover this, because it’s not ‘necessary.’ Through Obama’s plan, some carriers that PARTNER WITH THE GOVERNMENT might be forced to provide that, but right now, many don’t cover abortions. You might have to spend an hour or so calling around and just ask the question…do you cover abortions? I’d call Aetna, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, United Healthcare, and some of the larger ones first…I’m in commercial insurance, and to my knowledge, private healthcare is not currently paying for abortions. Maybe it depends on the plan, but it’s not covered at my company. But, again…that will change if Obama-care goes through. :frowning:

Thanks for your reply whatevergirl. Actually, I came to “find” out that my provider covers abortion by doing a Google search and there were sites where people who claimed to be with them said that they do indeed cover abortions.

Of course that’s not official evidence. The provider is a large one (here on the west coast anyway).

Thanks again for your reply.

First thing you must do is distinguish between a health insurance *company *and a health insurance policy.

A health insurance company writes many individual policies that include or exclude various types of coverage. For example, a “major medical” policy would only include things like hospitalization and such, not regular doctor’s visits, etc. Some policies cover mental health services, some don’t. Some cover infertility treatments, some don’t. Some cover prescription drugs, some don’t.

When purchasing individual health care coverage from an insurance company you can select from among policies and coverage. When an employer is building a plan for its employees, it does the same.

Now, abortion might be in Policy A and not in Policy B of the same insurance company.

Many states require abortion coverage to be in the plans employers provide. Same with contraception.

So, I don’t know of any insurance company that does not include abortion in one or more of its policies. If you are buying insurance on your own, you can get a policy that covers what you need-- abortion may not be in that policy. But, it might be in someone else’s.

That said, there is no need to get off your mother’s insurance. You are not having an abortion, therefore you are not doing anything wrong by being on this insurance plan.

Thank you for your reply 1ke. Could it stand to reason that the money they are getting from any payments being made could go towards funding abortions for someone else, directly or indirectly?

I’m happy with just your reply already given, but I can be obsessive, so please forgive me if I’m asking what might be best left alone.

*Oh my gosh, I just found out that Aetna and Cigna cover abortions…AND the abortion pill. :eek::mad: (most group policies I should say) So, let me get this straight…many people are turned down for necessary procedures and tests, but ‘elective abortions’ are typically covered? I think I’m going to be sick today. :frowning:

There was a time when it wasn’t covered…like a vasectomy and certain birth controls were not covered…but most likely that has changed. Been a while since I’ve read the policy language in my own group plan. I am really feeling sick…that so many people haggle with insurance companies to pay NECESSARY treatments …but abortion is covered, in most group policies.

I think we need a new planet…we have really lost our way as a society.*

whatevergirl, here’s a link to a discussion I came across in my search that might shed more light on insurance companies and elective abortion: constantchatter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40374. As far as Plan B goes (this is an aside), I’ve got an issue with the fact it’s over the counter at all, when, as I understand it, the the “regular” birth control pill is the same type of pill at lower doses but would require a doctor’s prescription.

I still haven’t received a reply from the FDA when I emailed them awhile back to ask why.

Please feel better though. The Lord has a plan for THIS planet.

Most of em also cover contraception, sterilization, IVF all sorts of immoral things.

Yes, I know…it’s sad to me. that there are many procedures to save a life that are not covered…but this stuff is covered. Hmmm…maybe we wouldn’t have such a healthcare ‘crisis’ if this stuff was excluded. :shrug:

Indirectly, maybe. Any cooperation at all would be extremely remote. And, your decision not to participate in this plan would not change any outcomes.

If you are overly scrupulous, you should discuss this with your priest or spiritual director.

Are there no Pro-life non-contraception health insurance providers on the market? Clearly, some Catholic buisness-minded people need to start them! What insurance does the Church buy for its employees?
I’m going crazy :eek: looking for pro-life health insurance, because I’m turning 26 soon and will be off my Dad’s insurance. I can’t use an emergency/health share plan because I’m in grad school and they have coverage requirements for me. I can use the pro-contraception school insurance, which is subsidized, but WANT to pay to support a company in good conscience. We need to show the world the difference between HEALTHCARE and a culture of death and selfish contraception.
Any suggestions???

[quote="vorticella, post:11, topic:166930"]
Are there no Pro-life non-contraception health insurance providers on the market? Clearly, some Catholic buisness-minded people need to start them! What insurance does the Church buy for its employees?

I'm going crazy :eek: looking for pro-life health insurance, because I'm turning 26 soon and will be off my Dad's insurance. I can't use an emergency/health share plan because I'm in grad school and they have coverage requirements for me. I can use the pro-contraception school insurance, which is subsidized, but WANT to pay to support a company in good conscience. We need to show the world the difference between HEALTHCARE and a culture of death and selfish contraception.

Any suggestions???

[/quote]

Many very, very large insurance companies have gotten out of the health insurance business in the last few years, due to, among other things, the need for a certain degree of market share in order to be profitable; high degree of state regulation; uncontrollable costs of medical care. No one would be able to get into this business in the form of a store-front start-up. Health insurance policies, certainly group ones, are regulated by the states, and each state can mandate what is covered. I doubt a state would approve a policy form that excluded coverage for abortion that was "medically necessary."

I think your best bet would be to discuss your moral concerns with a good priest, who might be able to reassure you in this matter. I know the insurance carrier who provides coverage for the priests of my diocese, and the company itself certainly issues policies that cover abortion, although I assume that the religious exemption allows the diocese to exclude it from their particular contract.

The only broad exception to all of this that I am aware of is that large employers who "self-fund" their employees' health coverage (as opposed to purchasing a group insurance contract) are exempt from state mandates (because the coverage isn't provided by an actual "insurance policy" that the state would regulate) and therefore have more say over what their plans cover, and in general are usually exempt from state mandates. That said, however, some states require that certain procedures be covered as a function of employment law even in the absence of a policy of insurance.

You make a good point. A year ago or so I read an article about Christian groups that get together and pay each others medical bills. It is part of a collective. If the Catholic Church did something similar that would be AMAZING. We have people all over the world that we could get involved. Many of the services hospital provide are actually cheaper if you tell them you don’t have insurance. If we could get money to them by signing up for some collective or something that would be sweet.

I work for a Catholic hospital system and my health insurance through them does not currently cover artificial birth control, but thanks to the new federal policies that are slowly chipping away at conscientious objection, they’re going to be mandated to cover it. If anyone can find a policy right now that does not cover abortions or birth control, I’d say snag it and let me know, because in all likelihood it will be going away soon. Not having insurance is not going to be an option, as I understand it. I am interested to know what sort of insurance priests have, because I figured as a Catholic health worker mine should be morally sound, but it hasn’t been untouchable. The HHS mandate is making things very difficult for those of us with moral objections.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.