Any reading suggestions for a lost young man

Can anyone suggest a book for a young man in his late teens/early twenties that is struggling with depression? This young man is a Catholic, but not practicing. I often encourage him to come to church, but he always makes excuses. I believe his depression is really a spiritual one and wanted to give him some books to read (I did purchase a Bible for him last year), but don’t really know where to start.

If he’s not ready for reading material that is specifically religious, try Lord of the Rings. It’s Catholic, it’s fun to read, and it’s full of hope. Tends to appeal to that age group. :slight_smile:

Also, spend plenty of quality time w/ said person, maybe discussing whatever books you are reading together.

That young man was me many years ago. I would recommend some of the books by Scott Hahn. I was given of tape of his and then read one of his books (I can’t remember which one). That got me back into the Church and really opened me up to so many blessing in my life.

What peaks his interest? If, for instance, he is insterested in ancient history or art or music you might find a book of short stories about that particular area of interest that has the story of an heroic saint.

John Powell is pretty good, and pretty accessible. The Christian Vision is my favorite.

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis to help him recognize Satan’s attempts to manipulate him away from God. Seeing how Satan works kind of empowers one to guard against the attacks and resist the temptations.

Sounds like myself at that age.

I was depressed and angry at the world, because I felt that the world was against me.

Seeing how the world hates Jesus and His Church made it much more attractive to me. I felt like we had something in common - that there was a place for outcasts in the Church.

“If the world hates you, realize that it hated me first.
If you belonged to the world, the world would love its own; but because you do not belong to the world, and I have chosen you out of the world, the world hates you.” - Jesus Christ

Lewis’ “Mere Christianity” is my #1 suggestion, followed by “The Problem of Pain” and “Screwtape”.

The author’s name escapes me, but, a book called “The Case for Christ” is good.

Lee Strobel wrote those…
He has several (Case for Christ, Case for Faith, Case for God…)

The Case for Christ comes in a student version which my son’s godmother gave to him when he was struggling with the faith. It was so easy to read and logical that we went out to buy the ‘adult’ versions the same day. (The adult ones were tougher to get through, but definitely more thoroughly explained - perhaps too thoroughly for most teens anyway).

And you’re right “Mere Christianity” before “Screwtape Letters” :thumbsup:

Arise from Darkness: What to Do When Life Doesn’t Make Sense by Fr. Benedict J. Groeschel. It is frank, simple, and comes from his experience, not in a cheesy, preachy, patronizing way. Easy to read since depression tends to mess with one’s focus and attention span.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.