Any sacred songs that give you chills?

… gregorian or not.

This one does it for me Miserere mei, Deus. It’s absolutely beautiful!

Anything by Hildegard of Bingen, but ESPECIALLY “Cum Vox Sanguinis for Ursula and Her Companions”. Chills every time. If you haven’t heard it, you should check it out.

“Be Not Afraid” by Bob Dufford. It was a song that went through my mind when I was brought into the Catholic Church in 2002. It literally helped me to “be not afraid” since being in front of large crowds is frightening for me. I had first heard the song on a CD by John Michael Talbot (“Table of Plenty”).

"Panis angelicus"

… esp since I know enough Latin to “hear” the English too.

“Bread of angels, become bread for men …”

The Trisagion in the Divine Liturgy, “Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us”, does it for me.

romanhurko.com/productDetails.cfm?CDID=2#player

I agree. It gave me goosebumps.

Be Not Afraid, On Eagles Wings, Immaculate Mary, Here I am Lord, O God beyond all Praising, Jesus Christ is Risen Today, Singing the Gloria. All my personal favorites. Not sure how ‘sacred’ some would consider these songs. But, they all touch my heart.

I agree with posts 2, 4, 5, 6, and would add “Dies Irae”, “In Paradisium”, and I must add the Liturgy of st. John Chrysostum. Eastern Orthox harmonies intrigue me.

The Five Blind Boys of Alabama do a version of Amazing Grace, but to the tune of House of the Rising Sun; it gets me every time.

Not particularly a “sacred” song (although it has some spiritual meaning), but Ralph Stanley’s *O Death * literally makes me shiver. I had the good fortune to hear him perform it live a few years ago.

Miz

There are some contemporary Catholic songs that I can take and that give me chills. Those are:

We Will Rise Again by David Haas
Be Not Afraid by Bob Dufford, SJ.
We Remember by Marty Haugen
Now We Remain by David Haas
We Walk By Faith by Marty Haugen
Blest Are They by David Haas

Some traditional hymns:

Anything with the “FINLANDIA” tune (i.e.: “Gather and Remember”, “Be Still, My Soul”, and “This Is My Song”.) It’s such a beautiful hymn tune.

Sing With All The Saints in Glory (HYMN TO JOY)
Alleluia! Alleluia! (HYMN TO JOY)
When I Survey The Wondrous Cross
Jesus Christ is Risen Today
Holy God, We Praise Thy Name
Praise to the Lord
Christ, the Lord, Is Risen Today (“VICTIMAE PASCHALI” tune and “LLANFAIR” tune)

Anything with the “ELLACOMBE” tune (i.e.: “The Day of Resurrection”, “I Sing the Mighty Power of God”, and “Go Make of All Disciples”.)

I don’t know if these songs counts, but on, you tube, there is a movie clip of Jeri Ryan (7 of 9) singing Amazing Grace from one of her movies… Also the clip of Dixie Carter from Designing Women. (God Bless Her Soul) Take time to look at these, it will bless you!:slight_smile: And give you chills!:slight_smile:
May God bless
newbear

The old Anglican hymn ‘The Day Thou Gavest’

It is also the sunset hymn played during the lowering of the flag in the Royal Navies
As well, the tune goes wonderfully with the Latin version of ‘O Salutaris Hostia’.

I have indicated to those concerned that I would like it played, or sung, at my funeral>

Three immediately come to mind:

1. The Exsultet.

2. Parce, Domine.

3. Veni, Veni Emmanuel.

I’ve always found these three to be especially haunting.

Apart from the Allegri Miserere - I’d have to say ‘Ave Verum Corpus’ by Mozart, ‘Lacrimosa Dies Illa’ from his Requiem, ‘Pange Lingua’ (‘Sing My Tongue the Saviour’s Glory’), and in school choir was privileged to sing Michael Head’s version of the Ave Maria - just gorgeous.

Some of the modern hymns are good, as long as they’re not sung too slowly and/or softly as they so often are. I do like ‘Here I am Lord’ and ‘Eagle’s Wings’, for example.

Marian Hymn by Father Ragheed Ganni, martyred Catholic priest from Iraq.

absolutely beautiful, wonderfully performed, made all the more beautiful and moving in light of his martyrdom, and great love for his fellow Iraqi Christians. :frowning:

eternal rest grant him, Lord.

Were You There.

I can’t sing it… or even hear it… without tears steaming down my face. :bighanky:

One song that I heard over Easter I believe was called, “Oh my Son.” it was song by a woman in Arabic. Its one of the most haunting songs I’ve ever heard. I can’t seem to find it anywhere though and that sucks.

is this it??

Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence

O Come O Come Emmanuel

What Wondrous Love Is This?

Ubi Caritas

O Magnum Mysterium

There are others, but these are the names that I can remember off the top of my head.

Grace, that is one of the songs there was another one too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.