Any SSPX or FSSP in South Carolina?????

I recently moved back to South Carolina (haven't been here since college)...I was living/working in Louisiana, which has a very high number of Catholics and the Liturgy is done so well down there...both the EF and the OF...I personally attended a Church that had a weekly TLM and I loved it...I also spent a great deal of time at the local Cathedral, which is where I was a member of the KofC's at...now I have moved back to South Carolina...and this is definitely not a densely populated Catholic state...I have not been to a Church I have been impressed with yet...at least within a reasonable distance from my house. There are virtually no TLM choices here...and my local parish is Abuse Heaven...this past Sunday, the priest skipped the homily and sat down in front of the Altar and had some kids come up and he spoke with them about the importance of not gossiping about people...then he had children and parents join him around the Altar during the consecration, in which a lot of them didn't even attempt to kneel or do anything...it was shameful...and then the icing on the cake is when he had some children hold up the Host and the Chalice while he said "Through Him, In Him, etc...." A week before that, he cancelled the only English speaking Mass on Sunday and moved the time to later that day and no one knew...the week before that, I went to confession at the scheduled time of 4:00 PM, and he never showed up...

I can not stomach it anymore...Please someone help me find an SSPX or FSSP Chapel, community...ANYTHING here in South Carolina...I live between Charleston and Savannah, GA

Thanks in advance

Ok...thanks to a friend, I was able to look up all the places in SC that offer the TLM...there is one in my city, however, it is an independent Chapel...What exactly does that mean? Were they validly ordained and currently in schism...or what? I am not sure what that means...could someone check out their website and let me know:

holyfamilytraditionalcatholicchurch.com/home.html

Also, if I were to go to the OF at an earlier time (since it is through the Diocese), could I attend this TLM even though it is at an independent Church? I do not support schism, but I love the TLM and I would like to be able to attend it weekly without having to drive over an hour

[quote="michaeldaniels, post:2, topic:178953"]
Ok...thanks to a friend, I was able to look up all the places in SC that offer the TLM...there is one in my city, however, it is an independent Chapel...What exactly does that mean? Were they validly ordained and currently in schism...or what? I am not sure what that means...could someone check out their website and let me know:

holyfamilytraditionalcatholicchurch.com/home.html

Also, if I were to go to the OF at an earlier time (since it is through the Diocese), could I attend this TLM even though it is at an independent Church? I do not support schism, but I love the TLM and I would like to be able to attend it weekly without having to drive over an hour

[/quote]

Websites don't tell you much and most of them are outdated. You need to approach the priest directly or find someone who knows the priest or goes there and find the name of his bishop. If he checks out, then it's okay. Just hope he isn't suspended or anything like that. Independent means that he isn't of the diocese but his Masses could be legitimate. Confessions are a different matter; he must have faculties granted by the local ordinary.

South Carolina, CHARLESTON Diocese
Charleston St. John the Baptist Cathedral 3rd Saturday: 8:30 AM
Columbia Good Shepherd Catholic Church 1st Sunday: Noon
Hilton Head Island Holy Family Church 2nd, 4th Sundays: 9:30 AM Sept thru May
Sullivan''s Island . Stella Maris Church W Sunday: 5:30 PM
Taylors Prince of Peace Catholic Church W Sunday: 11:00 AM (new time 9/08)

Sorry for the formatting. Here is the link from which I got this:
ecclesiadei.org/masses.cfm#South%20Carolina

Not familiar w/ SC. Hope this is what you are looking for.

[quote="franklinf, post:4, topic:178953"]
South Carolina, CHARLESTON Diocese
Charleston St. John the Baptist Cathedral 3rd Saturday: 8:30 AM
Columbia Good Shepherd Catholic Church 1st Sunday: Noon
Hilton Head Island Holy Family Church 2nd, 4th Sundays: 9:30 AM Sept thru May
Sullivan''s Island . Stella Maris Church W Sunday: 5:30 PM
Taylors Prince of Peace Catholic Church W Sunday: 11:00 AM (new time 9/08)

Sorry for the formatting. Here is the link from which I got this:
ecclesiadei.org/masses.cfm#South%20Carolina

Not familiar w/ SC. Hope this is what you are looking for.

[/quote]

My son lives in Charleston and goes to the indult at Sullivan's Island. He says that it is great.

From the Us Listing of Latin Masses:

State: South Carolina Mass times: Sat:1st 8:00 AM.
City: Beaufort Source(s): K, N, T
{69 Miles SW of Charleston} Affiliated: Diocesan
County: Beaufort Pho.: (843) 522-9555
Church: St. Peter's

Address: 70 Lady Island Dr., ZIP:29907

GPS Coord: Lat. = 32.4122 Long. = -80.6531

Diocese of: Charleston

Bishop: Robert E. Guglielmone

Following last updated/corrected Jan_01_2009
State: South Carolina Mass times: Sat:3rd 8:30 AM.
City: Charleston Source(s): C, E, K, N
County: Charleston Affiliated: Diocesan
Church: St. John the Baptist Cathedral Contact(s): Fr. Gregory Wilson
Address: 120 Broad Street, ZIP:29401 Pho.: (843) 724-8395
GPS Coord: Lat. = 32.7766 Long. = -79.9342 Fax.: (843) 724-6386

Following last updated/corrected May_11_2009
State: South Carolina Mass times: Sun:2nd 9:30 AM.,4th 9:30 AM.
City: Hilton Head Island Source(s): Q, W
{112 Miles SW of Charleston} Affiliated: Diocesan
County: Beauford Contact(s): Fr. Robert Morey
Church: Holy Family Catholic Church Pho.: (843) 785-2895
Address: 24 Pope Avenue, ZIP:29928 Fax.: (843) 842-7494
GPS Coord: Lat. = 32.1501 Long. = -80.7594 E-mail: [email]info@holyfamilyhhi.org[/email]
Diocese of: Charleston Web page : "http://holyfamilhhi.org"
Bishop: Robert E. Guglielmone Remarks: September Throug May
Following last updated/corrected Sep_02_2009
State: South Carolina Mass times: Sun: 5:30 PM.
City: Sullivan's Island Fri:1st 4:00 PM.
{6 Milews SE of Charleston} Source(s): G, K, N, P, Q, T, W
County: Charleston Affiliated: Diocesan
Church: Stella Maris Contact(s): Fr. Lawrence McInerny,
Address: 1204 Middle Street, ZIP:29482 PO Box 280, Sullivan
GPS Coord: Lat. = 32.7602 Long. = -79.8587 Island, SC, 29482
Diocese of: Charleston Pho.: (843) 883-3108
Bishop: Robert E. Guglielmone Fax.: (843) 883-3160
Web page : "http://www.catholic-doc.org/stellamaris"
Following last updated/corrected Jul_21_2009
State: South Carolina Mass times: Sun: 11:00 AM.
City: Taylors Source(s): C, E, Q
{6 Miles NW of Greenville} Affiliated: Diocesan
County: Greenville Pho.: (964) 268-4352
Church: Prince of Peace Catholic Church Web page : "http://www.princeofpeacesc.org/"
Address: 1209 Brushy Creek Road, ZIP:29687

GPS Coord: Lat. = 34.8950 Long. = -82.3045

The bishop really doesn’t like the TLM here. There is SSPX in Columbia now & Institute of Christ the King wants to be here & FSSP wants to be here … hopefully we will get them all

I’m not a moderator, but I think this thread is dangerously close to proselytizing the SSPX. It certainly is supportive of it, which I believe is against forum rules.

I’m not trying to criticize, I just don’t want to see anyone get in trouble. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, but this is just not true. If that were the case, he certainly would not have asked Monsignor Brovey to be rector of the Cathedral, nor would he have installed father Christopher Smith at Prince of Peace Parish in Taylors.

I would be very careful when making such inflammatory comments regarding a Bishop in good standing with the Catholic Church.

I agree. Up here in Greenville there are a few really traditional churches. St. Mary’s downtown and PoP in Taylors are very traditional, although PoP has the only Latin mass.

Does Monsignor Brovey celebrate the EF?

Absolutely! He celebrated the EF every Sunday when he was pastor of PoP. If I remember correctly, when the Ecclesia Dei commission made their statements he spent some time away from the Parish in order to learn the proper celebration. He came back and instituted it immediately. It’s a real joy to see him celebrate Mass when you get the chance.

Exactly, that’s why I don’t understand the criticism of the Bishop. PoP in Taylors is the ONLY Catholic Church with daily latin Mass on the entire Eastern Coast.

[LEFT][/LEFT]

I didn’t realize that! We really are blessed to have Fr. Smith and Fr. Tomlinson! :smiley:

What?

What?!

What?!?!?!?

:shrug:

materecclesiae.org/
venicelatinmass.org/
francisdesales.com/
hbglatinmass.com/
saintmichaelsrcc.org/
stjosephrichmond.org/
stbenedictschapel.org/

There’s a good reason you didn’t realize it…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.