Any suggestions?

I have been reading responses on this site for about a month now and I am feeling a bit “swamped”. I would like to obtain one book that would spell out the Catholic beliefs for me (in addition to the Bible and the Catechism). What book would you suggest?

I would highly recommend the book "Catholicism and Fundamentalism - The Attack on “Romanism” by “Bible Christians” by Karl Keating. It’s a great book that you will go back to over and over again.

“Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma” by Ludwig Ott from Tan Publishing.

Depends what angle you want to approach it from.

For a complete yet readable presentation of the entire Catholic Faith, I’d recommend either “Catholic Christianity” by the very popular Peter Kreeft, or “The Catholic Catechism” by the esteemed Fr. John Hardon.

From an apologetics standpoint to answer common objections and challenges to the Catholic beliefs and practices, I’d start with the aforementioned book by Karl Keating.

I would add The Catholic Way by Bishop Wuerl of Pittsburgh. It’s a great introduction to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which is as close to a full disclosure on the deposit of faith as you can get without reading a whole lots of Papal and councilmatic documents.

+JMJ+

I would recommend, The Teaching of Christ a Catholic Catechism for Adults,Fifth Edition.It covers everything from the Mass to Mary and beyond! :slight_smile: It is cross referenced with the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the various councils of the church.It also has basic prayers and a list of the popes.It is what I was given when I was in RCIA.I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! :smiley:

God bless you and Mary keep you!

PROUD 2 B RC,

Welcome to the board! I know how you feel. You didn’t say where you are in your faith. So I would start slow & easy. The book I would recommend, in-addition to those listed previously, is ’Catholicism for Dummies by Fr. John Trigilio and Fr. Kenneth Brighenti

Hope this helps, it did for me. :thumbsup:

Scott

PROUD 2 B RC,

Welcome to the board! I know how you feel. You didn’t say where you are in your faith. So I would start slow & easy. The book I would recommend, in-addition to those listed previously, is ‘Catholicism for Dummies’ by Fr. John Trigilio and Fr. Kenneth Brighenti

Hope this helps, it did for me.

Scott

This was a great reference for me when I was starting out, however it is very much the “see spot run” version of the faith and is very quickly superseded as one learns about the church.

[quote=mosher]“Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma” by Ludwig Ott from Tan Publishing.
[/quote]

For me this was PURE GOLD and is still like a second bible for me (pardon the heresy :smiley: ), I think you’ll find everything you need there.

God bless
Levi

If you’re looking for something very readable I’d recommend The Privilege of Being Catholic by Fr. Oscar Lukefahr. Any of his books are good, for that matter. They’re available free–go to amm.org/chss.htm or you might try your parish library, that’s where I first got it. I’d go next with Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Keating. Both were excellent.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

Oilman:

One more: Theology for Beginners by Frank Sheed. Easy to read.

in XT

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.