Any Syro-Malabarian Catholics Here?

Just wondering.

right here

Hi ndnballa89 and welcome!

Unfortunately, the person who asked the question hasn’t been around here much lately. (I wonder if he’ll be back … )

I’m a little surprised, actually, that we don’t see more Syro-Malabarian Catholics around here, seeing as it’s one of the three largest EC Churches (the other two being the Maronite and Ukrainian Churches).

God bless,
Peter.

This might warrant a new thread, but common sense seemed to suggest putting it here instead:

Former parish may be transferred to Syro-Malabar community

I met an Indian Catholic priest once. I’m not sure if he was Syro-Malabar, but he was so pro-Catholic it was scary (well, it scared me at the time since I was not yet Catholic).:smiley:

Blessings,
Marduk

i was blessed tonight as i attended a Syro-Malabar Mass. it was held at a Latin Church chapel, but the Indian priest came from glasgow for it and travels all over the place celebrating them. there were about 10 indians and 6 white Latin Catholics in attendance. it was wonderful to see and hear all the singing. yes, i didn’t understand the language, but it just shows the great variety in the Catholic Church. most of the people in our parish, probably did not know that there was any other ritual Churches apart from the Latin one, so it was great to come into contact with another rite :slight_smile:

I read that one of the Indian Rites is actually growing. The Catholic church overall is generally stagnant in India. Its been at 15 million memebers or so for more than a decade now. despite the growth going on in India.

I think it was the Syro-Malabarin Rite. Like they were close to 4 million members and potentially it could surpass the Ukranian Catholics (5 million) as the largest Eastern Rite in the coming decades.

Well, I’m not, but…

Pittsburgh has a growing number of emigres from India. A number of them, and I can’t possibly say how many, are Catholic. As o0f yet, there is no Syro-Malabar parish in the Pittsburgh area.

There is one in the Fort Lauderdale area.
miamiarchdiocese.org/ipsSimple.asp?op=C100000&id=5725103115602

From the St. Thomas Diocese website
stthomasdiocese.org/diocese/parishes.htm

I think these Indian Eastern Catholics are properly called “Syro-Malabarese” Catholics.

Good point.

I’m not, but I know of a parish in Port Chester, NY (about 25 miles north of NYC) that has the Syro-Malabar Mass once a month. That same parish also has English, Spanish, Polish and Latin(EF)masses :slight_smile:

God Bless.

For those unfamiliar with the Syro-Malabar Catholics, here is a 5-part liturgical celebration on Youtube:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

God bless,

Rony

I thought I had seen somewhere that the most unmerous was the Ruthenian Catholic Church. Is that incorrect?

Based on the 2007 Annuario Pontificio, the Pittsburgh Metropolitanate of the Ruthenians (aka Byzantine Catholic Church in America) is comparatively very small.

Adding the separate jurisdictions of the Eparchy of Mukacevo in Ukraine and of the Exarchate in the Czech Republic, however, makes the Ruthenians about 600,000 worldwide.

Based on the number of faithful, the top 5 among the Eastern Catholic Churches, in descending order are:

(1) The Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church;
(2) The Syro-Malabar Catholic Church;
(3) The Maronite Catholic Chruch;
(4) The Melkite Greek-Catholic Church; and
(5) The Romanian Greek-Catholic Church.

The Ruthenians (all 3 jurisdictions) come 6th.

Thanks Amando.

Where

Do you have actual numbers?

The Ukranian Catholic church seems to be shrinking/losing members to Orthodoxy but mostly pentecostalism. At one time it was referred to as having 6 million members. Most articles I see now say about 5 million.

Even though the overall Catholic church in India (all Rites) is shrinking as a percentage of the population, the S-M Rite is growing. I think it has over 4 million members.

As the Ukranian Church continues to decline it seems the Indian S-M church will in a decade or so be the largest non-Latin Rite church in the Catholic church.

Forgive my ignorance and confusion, but are the Syro-Malabarese Catholics the Indians who are related to the “Assyrian” tradition?

I ask because the Liturgy videos look a LOT like the Assyrian Catholic Liturgy (Liturgy of Addai and Mari) I recently attended.

Peace and God bless!

Forgive my ignorance and confusion, but are the Syro-Malabarese Catholics the Indians who are related to the “Assyrian” tradition?

Ghosty,

Yes, the Syro-Malabar Catholics celebrate the Assyro-Chaldean tradition, with an Indian “flavor”.

I ask because the Liturgy videos look a LOT like the Assyrian Catholic Liturgy (Liturgy of Addai and Mari) I recently attended.

Yeah, it’s the same basic Hallowing of Addai and Mari.

God bless,

Rony

Syro-Malabarians in pittsburgh visit:

[www.syromalabarpittsburgh.info/](www.syromalabarpittsburgh.info/)
     [www.syromalabarpittsburgh.org](www.syromalabarpittsburgh.org)
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.