Any Wii fans?

I’ve been enjoying playing through Donkey Kong Country Returns lately, so I’ve been in the mood to talk Nintendo and my wife is sick of hearing about it (;)), so I thought I’d start a thread about it.

So, are there any other Wii fans out there? What are some of the games you like playing?

Oh I love that game! My mum got it for Christmas and we love it. We've got a super old Nintendo Famicom that we used to play one of the really old Donkey Kong games on and I love how it's still got some really similar elements in there.

Me and my sister love playing Super Mario Galaxy. We're big Super Mario fans in my family and Super Mario Galaxy is really fun. You really need two players though and my mum is terrible at it so me and my sister play it whenever I go home for the holidays. I'm at college and I really miss being able to use the Wii.

My son received Donkey Kong Country Returns from Santa so we had been playing that for awhile. Actually mostly over the break. We haven't really played it since school started again and we haven't solved it yet.

In the past, we've enjoyed MarioKart, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. He's got Wii Resort, we played that quite a bit for a while as well.

I'll have to peak in the cabinet and remind myself what else we've played a bit of.

FUNNY STORY - I was playing DK Country Returns and my wife was sitting next to me talking. Well I had completed a level and got the balloon where you have to punch it. My sudden motion surprised my wife and she thought for a brief moment I was having a seizure. Now she laughs everytime she sees me do that.

Yeah! I love Wii! I got DK Country Returns for Christmas too, lol. It was pretty fun, but my favorite game is Kirby’s Epic Yarn, which I also got for Christmas.

Are there any Wii games that are good for several players to play at once 4 would be great, 5 even better, although I don't know if any 5 player ones exist... We got a Wii last Christmas, but we just started using it more and I would love to find something everyone can play together (ages 2 almost 3 to adult). Its kinda crazy that my almost 3 yr old plays, but he is actually pretty good at some games (get more strikes in bowling than I did when I started playing), and I figured it would be ok in moderation and sharing with other family members.

[quote="lifeisbeautiful, post:5, topic:226400"]
Are there any Wii games that are good for several players to play at once 4 would be great, 5 even better, although I don't know if any 5 player ones exist...

[/quote]

You should try just dance or new super mario brothers.

This is one thing I can agree with 100% and not debate anyone. That game is fantastic. I love that Nintendo is returning to old platform style games. New Super Mario Brothers Wii was also fantastic.

I also play a lot of fantasy games on the Xbox 360. Although these games are fantastic and have great stories and get you emotionally involved, they can be somewhat draining at times. DK and Mario brothers are just pure fun.

Are there any Wii games that are good for several players to play at once 4 would be great, 5 even better, although I don't know if any 5 player ones exist... We got a Wii last Christmas, but we just started using it more and I would love to find something everyone can play together (ages 2 almost 3 to adult). Its kinda crazy that my almost 3 yr old plays, but he is actually pretty good at some games (get more strikes in bowling than I did when I started playing), and I figured it would be ok in moderation and sharing with other family members.

[/quote]

Mario Party 8 is really good for multiple players though it may only go up to 4 players, I'm not 100% sure but it's really fun.

[quote="freethinker83, post:7, topic:226400"]
This is one thing I can agree with 100% and not debate anyone. That game is fantastic. I love that Nintendo is returning to old platform style games. New Super Mario Brothers Wii was also fantastic.

I also play a lot of fantasy games on the Xbox 360. Although these games are fantastic and have great stories and get you emotionally involved, they can be somewhat draining at times. DK and Mario brothers are just pure fun.

[/quote]

Yes the micro-management required for some RPGs can be hard work in the long run although also interesting. I was finishing working my way through Dragon Age and all the add-ons with one character, that in some respects (is as might be expected) a very old school RPG.

Nintendo definitely make better family games on the Wii than the majority of stuff available on the PS3 and Xbox though. I have both (the PS3 as a result of my boss having to give it to me to pay of a loan) and although I enjoy games on both I still think some of the games on my old SNES from years ago had a more pick up and play flavour.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:1, topic:226400"]
I've been enjoying playing through Donkey Kong Country Returns lately, so I've been in the mood to talk Nintendo and my wife is sick of hearing about it (;)), so I thought I'd start a thread about it.

So, are there any other Wii fans out there? What are some of the games you like playing?

[/quote]

We gotta a Wii.

Santa came to the party and we are having a ball with it. Super Mario Brothers, Wii Sports and, my favourite at the moment, Wii Super Fit. I love the flying chicken!!

I have come all the way from a Game Boy, Game Boy Plus, Nintendo 64 and now a Wii.
It is a running joke now that we get the urge to Wii a lot. :D

[quote="PerfectTiming, post:2, topic:226400"]
Oh I love that game! My mum got it for Christmas and we love it. We've got a super old Nintendo Famicom that we used to play one of the really old Donkey Kong games on and I love how it's still got some really similar elements in there.

Me and my sister love playing Super Mario Galaxy. We're big Super Mario fans in my family and Super Mario Galaxy is really fun. You really need two players though and my mum is terrible at it so me and my sister play it whenever I go home for the holidays. I'm at college and I really miss being able to use the Wii.

[/quote]

You're at college without a video game system. :eek: ;)

Many an hour of my college years were spent on the old Nintendo 64 (mostly on Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye). Come to think of it, I definitely would have gotten more studying done without it. :p

As a kid, I played through all the original Donkey Kong Country games for the Super Nintendo. Playing this new one really takes me back. Grabbing those hard to reach KONG letters, searching for bonus barrels, riding the mine carts, losing 60 lives in one level (which happened to me on the 5-K level "Blast and Bounce")...those were the days!

I love Mario, too. Although, I played through the Galaxy games solo. Right now, my daughter just prefers to watch me play, but when she gets a little older, I think it would be fun to play through them again with her as my second player. Mario Kart Wii is great, too.

[quote="Dandelion_Wine, post:3, topic:226400"]
My son received Donkey Kong Country Returns from Santa so we had been playing that for awhile. Actually mostly over the break. We haven't really played it since school started again and we haven't solved it yet.

In the past, we've enjoyed MarioKart, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. He's got Wii Resort, we played that quite a bit for a while as well.

I'll have to peak in the cabinet and remind myself what else we've played a bit of.

FUNNY STORY - I was playing DK Country Returns and my wife was sitting next to me talking. Well I had completed a level and got the balloon where you have to punch it. My sudden motion surprised my wife and she thought for a brief moment I was having a seizure. Now she laughs everytime she sees me do that.

[/quote]

That is a funny story. My wife was taking a little nap on the couch when I did that and it startled her a bit to say the least! :p :o

[quote="Joe_5859, post:11, topic:226400"]
You're at college without a video game system. :eek: ;)

Many an hour of my college years were spent on the old Nintendo 64 (mostly on Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye). Come to think of it, I definitely would have gotten more studying done without it. :p

[/quote]

My housemates all have video game systems, the guys have x-box's and the other has a playstation and a wii. It's just me that doesn't but I'd totally have one if they weren't so expensive. My technology budget is blown on my MacBook :)

Our Wii at home was a present me and my sister organised for my mum one year: we rang up her closest friends and asked if they've give us a small contribution to buying it. My mum was so confused as to why her friends were suddenly giving her envelopes to give to us but she was so happy when she found out what we'd done.

[/quote]

The Wii supports a maximum of 4 controllers, so generally that's as high as it goes with multiplayer options.

Although, if I remember correctly, I think Deal or No Deal allows for 5 players in one of the modes where 4 players play the game and then one player gets to be the banker (and just gets passed the 1st controller in between rounds to do their job).

Also, the newest Guitar Hero game can have up to 8 players at a time IF you also happen to have 4 Nintendo DS's lying around. Thus, you can have 4 players (one each on guitar, bass, drums, and vocals) with another 4 players armed with DS's as their "roadies". I'm not sure how appropriate that game is for little ones, though. :o

I would highly recommend Wii Party. We got that for Christmas and it is a blast. You play as your Mii (with up to 4 players) and you get to plays tons of different mini-games in a variety of settings. Our favorite is "Board Game Island" in which you roll your way through the board playing mini-games each round to determine which dice you get. We like it better than Mario Party 8 so far. As Mario Party 8 came out in 2007 and Wii Party just came out in 2010, they seem to have addressed most of the minor gripes we have with Mario Party 8 in Wii Party. Both games are good, though.

Not to sound like a walking advertisement, but right now Amazon is having a "Buy 2 games, get 1 free" promotion on select games. Wii Party, Mario Party 8, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and more are on the list.

[quote="freethinker83, post:7, topic:226400"]

[/quote]

Woo hoo! Yay for common ground! ;) I'm with you. I have been greatly enjoying the throwback to the old platform style with New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns. I've owned every Nintendo home console since the beginning, so for me it's like a portal back to my childhood. I'm crossing my fingers now for them to come out with some sequels to these games.

I'm at about 70% completion for DKCR right now. Although, I hear that once you get to 100%, you get to play the whole game through in "mirror mode", but you only have Donkey Kong (no Diddy) and you only get one heart (not two). So it is possible to get up to 200% completion. That will be rough!

Nerd that I am (:nerd:), after playing through the levels I've beaten so far in Time Attack mode and struggling to get bronze medals, I did a quick YouTube search and found a guy who posted videos of gold medal runs for each and every level. It's pure insanity! But fun to watch. :p

[quote="PerfectTiming, post:13, topic:226400"]
Our Wii at home was a present me and my sister organised for my mum one year: we rang up her closest friends and asked if they've give us a small contribution to buying it. My mum was so confused as to why her friends were suddenly giving her envelopes to give to us but she was so happy when she found out what we'd done.

[/quote]

That's really sweet!

[quote="Joe_5859, post:11, topic:226400"]

As a kid, I played through all the original Donkey Kong Country games for the Super Nintendo. Playing this new one really takes me back. Grabbing those hard to reach KONG letters, searching for bonus barrels, riding the mine carts, losing 60 lives in one level (which happened to me on the 5-K level "Blast and Bounce")...those were the days!

[/quote]

I love how the new DK game has all the same features as the old ones, like the KONG letter and the life balloons and the mine carts - I love the mine carts, it's always been my favourite part of the game. It just goes to show that the best games really are kinda timeless :)

[quote="PerfectTiming, post:17, topic:226400"]
I love how the new DK game has all the same features as the old ones, like the KONG letter and the life balloons and the mine carts - I love the mine carts, it's always been my favourite part of the game. It just goes to show that the best games really are kinda timeless :)

[/quote]

So true. The mine cart levels were always awesome and this one has them in spades!

There are a few things I miss, though, like the animal buddies. Rambi's presence is almost just a cameo and he's the only playable one. I also miss Dixie Kong. And it would be nice to have some snow levels. But I guess that's what sequels are for. :D

I had a Wii, shortly after they came out. I got the Zelda game and beat that and then went to buy a new game. The store didn't have any I was interested in so I waited a month or so and went back, and there still weren't any. I waited another month and when the same thing happened, I found someone on Craigslist and traded him my Wii for his PS3. Xbox 360 is still my system of choice and I think the new Kinect system really out does the Wii's motion controls. If I did have a Wii, the new Donkey Kong Country game would definitely be one I'd want to own, but I don't want to buy a system just for a single game.

[quote="Bataar, post:19, topic:226400"]
I had a Wii, shortly after they came out. I got the Zelda game and beat that and then went to buy a new game. The store didn't have any I was interested in so I waited a month or so and went back, and there still weren't any. I waited another month and when the same thing happened, I found someone on Craigslist and traded him my Wii for his PS3. Xbox 360 is still my system of choice and I think the new Kinect system really out does the Wii's motion controls. If I did have a Wii, the new Donkey Kong Country game would definitely be one I'd want to own, but I don't want to buy a system just for a single game.

[/quote]

Do you have the Kinect? I appreciate that Xbox is doing motion gaming without trying to nickel and dime you with the need to buy extra controllers, but I'm still a bit skeptical.

I guess it's mainly the bad experience with the eyetoy for PS2: you need the room to be well lit, but you have to move that lamp because it's emitting too much light; and you have to watch out for that couch over there, and stand at just the right distance from the TV....

I like that the Wii is able to incorporate motion controls into games like Donkey Kong Country Returns and Super Mario Galaxy. It feels natural to shake the controller to roll or make that extra jump. I'd been doing that for years before the Wii anyway in hopes that my movement would carry my character that extra distance to the next platform. :p

I see what you're saying about not buying a system for one game. That would be an expensive game! :) I'm content with my Nintendo consoles. I know each new generation will bring a new Mario game (or two), a new Zelda game, and probably some other familiar franchises (Donkey Kong, Star Fox, etc.). That's really all I'm interested in.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.