Anybody else here a Columbo fan?

I just got the complete first season of Columbo on DVD (I'll probably order the second season tomorrow) and I just love that show. Even though I am only 24, my parents watched it in reruns and I enjoyed watching it with them and then they did have some newer ones a few years ago.

Anyway, just wondering, is anyone else here a fan of Columbo?

Yes, Columbo had a comeback. I could tell you the plot but maybe it is better not to. Was it the first season when he had the Basset Hound?

[quote="Texas_Roofer, post:2, topic:200947"]
Yes, Columbo had a comeback. I could tell you the plot but maybe it is better not to. Was it the first season when he had the Basset Hound?

[/quote]

This was the original first season, including the two pilot episodes (PRESCRIPTION: MURDER [Gene Barry is the guest murderer] and RANSOM FOR A DEAD MAN [Lee Grant is the guest murderer]). This was like from the 60s-70s.

Yes, I am a big fan of Colombo. :D

[quote="nsper7, post:1, topic:200947"]
I just got the complete first season of Columbo on DVD (I'll probably order the second season tomorrow) and I just love that show. Even though I am only 24, my parents watched it in reruns and I enjoyed watching it with them and then they did have some newer ones a few years ago.

[/quote]

I'm not bugging ya, am I? :D

[quote="doanli, post:5, topic:200947"]
I'm not bugging ya, am I? :D

[/quote]

Just one more thing...

Yeah, just one more thing.......

The guy was a classic with a classic car. :)

[quote="buffalo, post:7, topic:200947"]
Yeah, just one more thing.......

The guy was a classic with a classic car. :)

[/quote]

:)

I like Columbo, too. Although I cringe, every time I see him bringing that cigar of his into a crime scene. Today's TV CSIs would completely freak out on him, for that.

[quote="jmcrae, post:8, topic:200947"]

I like Columbo, too. Although I cringe, every time I see him bringing that cigar of his into a crime scene. Today's TV CSIs would completely freak out on him, for that.

[/quote]

He didn't need no stinkin' CSI's. ;) He was all about the human element, a master of understanding people.

[quote="buffalo, post:9, topic:200947"]
He didn't need no stinkin' CSI's. ;) He was all about the human element, a master of understanding people.

[/quote]

I loved Columbo when I was a kid and I believe he was the prototype for Gibbs in "NCIS" (although I doubt Peter Falk would have ever, at any time in his career, made the short list for People's "Sexiest Man Alive" award... :blush:)

[quote="bluerose, post:10, topic:200947"]
I loved Columbo when I was a kid and I believe he was the prototype for Gibbs in "NCIS" (although I doubt Peter Falk would have ever, at any time in his career, made the short list for People's "Sexiest Man Alive" award... :blush:)

[/quote]

He is also kind of a prototype for Adrian Monk. They are both irritating and underestimated as characters.

[quote="jmcrae, post:8, topic:200947"]

[/quote]

It's funny judging old shows/movies by today's standards. Murder, mayhem, crime scenes -- okay. But then

He's smoking at his desk!! (or the crime scene)
He pinched the secretary's butt!!
He told an ethnic joke!!

O the humanity!

I used to love Colombo, especially the way no one ever saw Mrs Colombo even on the special where they went on a cruise. It did get tiresome after awhile b/c it was so formulaic.

Btw, for comic genius check out the original The In-Laws w/ Peter Falk and Alan Arkin.
Remakes always suck. Proved that again last night watching the 1990s version of The Taking of Pelham 123.

[quote="didymus, post:12, topic:200947"]
It's funny judging old shows/movies by today's standards. Murder, mayhem, crime scenes -- okay. But then

He's smoking at his desk!! (or the crime scene)
He pinched the secretary's butt!!
He told an ethnic joke!!

O the humanity!

I used to love Colombo, especially the way no one ever saw Mrs Colombo even on the special where they went on a cruise. It did get tiresome after awhile b/c it was so formulaic.

Btw, for comic genius check out the original The In-Laws w/ Peter Falk and Alan Arkin.
Remakes always suck. Proved that again last night watching the 1990s version of The Taking of Pelham 123.

[/quote]

I have to agree with you about Pelhem. The original was way better.

On the other hand, I really preferred the 2001 version of "Ocean's Eleven" - I saw the 1960 version afterwards, and I really didn't care for it. I don't think I would have sat all the way through it, if I hadn't seen the 2001 version - I kept waiting for the action to start. :shrug: And I thought the ending of the 1960 version was really stupid. :p

I love Columbo. I also loved the original In-Laws. Peter Falk reminded me of my dad (and now my brother, who looks and walks just like him!).

Ok, time to go to Netflicks and order me some Columbo....

In Christ,

Ellen

Just one more thing....:D

When I was in high school we read Crime and Punishment in Russian Lit., and our teacher (Sr. Mary Denis) told us that Columbo was actually based on the detective in that novel. Very interesting!

In Christ,

Ellen

[quote="nsper7, post:1, topic:200947"]

[/quote]

I think columbo is great.
I liked how some criminal would always underestimate columbo's capabilities.
Or how he used to annoy the heck out of them with ."one more thing"
It's probably why i enjoyed monk so much. Though different. The shows are done in the same vein

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.