Anybody have a Holy Spirit experience?

I had a supernatural experience with the Holy Spirit back in 1994 that was like taking scales off my eyes to better understand Christ, the Bible, and now recently the Catholic Church.

Anybody else have any similar experience?

I was Confirmed.

So when you got confirmed you experienced this?

CCC 1316 Confirmation perfects Baptismal grace; it is the sacrament which gives the Holy Spirit in order to root us more deeply in the divine filiation, incorporate us more firmly into Christ, strengthen our bond with the Church, associate us more closely with her mission, and help us bear witness to the Christian faith in words accompanied by deeds.

I trust every Catholic has had a Holy Spirit experience .

We have all received the Holy Spirit , but some give Him scant attention .

I hope there will come a time when the Church talks as much about the Real Presence of the Holy Spirit in each of us as it does about the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist .

Oh that would be great. I think if the Priest’s talked about it more in mass it would happen.

We need to seek to be continuously be filled with the Holy Spirit.

Several, actually - all occurring after I submitted to the baptism in the Holy Spirit (NOT a sacrament). Little illuminations, revelations of good news not otherwise known, the taking on of others’ suffering, things like that. The most memorable was over a decade ago. At a charismatic event, we had been singing and praising God all morning, with the opportunity for confession at lunch time.

As I was confessing, Father and I entered into a dialog about my purpose and a good penance. I differed and began to disagree with him. It struck me very suddenly that I was not arguing with Father, but with Christ!I I spiritually collapsed and submitted to the advice and penance I was assigned.

As Father was pronouncing absolution, I suddenly began shaking violently - my entire body. So badly that Father took hold of me to keep me from falling from my chair. As he did so, he looked heavenward and said in a deep voice, “Oh, Holy Spirit!”

A flood of tears came and I left weeping. Pure chastisement, absolution and grace, all at once - in an unforgettable manner. I am shedding tears as I type this, as it was the most overpowering reception of grace that I have experienced.

Worried about a post I read
Is the "Total obedience in one's confessor" for the scrupulous a Church teaching?
How does confession feel?
Charismatic Renewal - assent of faith

Wow, what an awesome experience. I got the chills reading this too. I wish everybody could experience this. But I know God Holy Spirit moves in different ways with everybody.

No, I haven’t experienced anything.

Can you pray and ask God to fill you with the Holy Spirit and see if it happens?

I can but it might not be His will to do that.

Well I think God wants all of his children to be filled with the Holy Spirit. We just need an open heart and a true desire to draw closer to Jesus. He loves us soo much.

How would I know if he did this?

As Father Benedict Groeschel(†) stated, “You can spend your life looking forward to it, or looking back on it, but when you are aware that He is there, you will be changed”

You’ll know when it happens. When it first happened to me, I didn’t understand what was happening till later. Its like my eyes were opened for the first time.

We can resist the grace which comes through the Holy Spirit. We can lock our charisms up in a hardened heart. Yet, a read of Matthew 25:14-30 is jarring if we begin to suspect that those “talents” are actually our charisms. As well, we can expect great things when God may intend the small way for us. No stigmata, no levitation in prayer. Growth in the faith, either slowly or rapidly, either little-by-little, or in great leaps is all up to the Lord.

What I can most strongly urge is that Catholics consider attending a Life in the Spirit seminar or Charismatic mass. Once I made the conscious decision to willingly submit to whatever the Lord desired for me, great things began to happen. Our priest laid hands on me and prayed so fervently that I was anointed with his sweat! “Like great drops of blood…”

I was “slain” as they say, or “rested in the Spirit” - it was an intensely calm, peaceful experience. Things did not change all art once, but developed over time. And when they did, there was no looking back. We hear a lot about the so-called “irresistible grace” spoken of by Calvinists. The problem is that we resist that grace, for God greatly desires to give it.

We receive the grace when we force (or allow) ourselves to be vulnerable to the Holy Spirit, through Whom all good occurs.

Felt it several times.

Mostly it is just feeling peace and coming home. There is nothing to worry about. God is here.
Once it was a feeling of pure joy. I couldn’t stop laughing.
And once the holy spirit broke me and had me crying in my seat.

@Nelka- how do you know? Trust me, you know.

That time cannot come fast enough.

How does it help?

Well it opens the door to a new spiritual life experience. The Holy Spirit helps you understand the Bible better when you read it also.

Yes, I experienced the peace of the Holy Spirit after receiving the eucharist and during confession. It was an extraordinary peace that only lasted a few seconds, but there was no doubt I encountered God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.