Anybody seen "Beyond Belief" on ABC 8/03/11?

(the episode concerning near-death experience)

if so, what was y'alls take on it??

God Bless,

ICXC NIKA

I didn't. That said, it has cropped up on a national newspaper here.

Personally, I don't really believe in NDEs because there are simply just too many psychological factors at play. However, that isn't to say that I believe every NDE is false. Some are real, but I would say a small minority. One good one that I read was about a CAF user here who was a committed witch, but upon having a heart attack and later in a coma of some sort, she reported that she could feel God. She couldn't see Him, but she just knew that it was Him, and He was nothing more than pure love - so much so that words fail to describe it. She said that upon experiencing Him, she knew that witchcraft wasn't for her. She dropped it, and after years of a lot of reading, she became a Catholic :thumbsup:.

The danger of NDEs is that they encourage complacency because they make it seem as if everyone is going to Heaven. Whilst I have said before on other posts that we can only be agnostic about how many are going to Heaven/Hell, the general public may read NDE experiences and continue to think it's okay to live a life of sin. In short, it's the universalist fallacy, and is probably used by Satan to ensure people presume upon God's Mercy (which, by the way, is "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit"). I'm more interested in NDEs that talk about Hell than those about Heaven, because I find them to be more true, and that's evident from the way the person in question changes his/her life.

On the whole, I believe that a lot of NDEs are false - either because of a self-fulfilled prophecy, chemical reactions of some sort, confirmation bias, but a minority are true. I'm more intrigued in apparition and locution experiences, to be honest.

I agree with you generally about NDE, because it might be disproven any day (just a breathless head giving it's owner one last experience; etc)

However, the issue of most NDErs seeing Heaven has been addressed: at least one doctor has noticed that when patients report a Hell-based NDE, they often develop amnesia for the event afterward.

God Bless and ICXC NIKA.

Yes, that’s quite true. I actually think that’s more proof of the credibility of Hell-based NDEs. If Hell really is eternal torment beyond words, the brain probably tries to delete the experience from its memory. This tends to happen with other negative experiences as well (e.g. pain of childbirth, embarrassing moments in school, etc). So, it’s possible that this is the brain’s way of reacting to the NDE. And come to think of it, it is possibly anatomical proof of the credibility of Jesus’ attitude of ignoring Satan: “Then Jesus saith to him: Begone, Satan: for it is written, The Lord thy God shalt thou adore, and him only shalt thou serve” (Matthew 4:10). Why dwell on Hell if Hell was not made for any single human being, but only Satan and the fallen angels themselves?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.