Anyone can share their view on this bible study

I am looking for charitable reactions to a post that I read that I thought would be interesting to discuss amoung all people, and their feelings about it. Pro or contra. But, lets keep it nice.

I dont want debate amoung the posters here- just offer your reactions.

Here you go:

Go to all the bookstores in town and buy up each and every translation they sell.

Next, go to multiple Christian bookstores and buy up all their translations.

Next, buy several of the Parallel Bibles… There a 26-in-1, an 8-in-1, and several 4-in-1.

Now, buy up multiple Hebrew and Greek Interlinears.

Supplement your collection with Various Word Dictionaries, Lexicons, and Concordances, and Bible Commentaries from multiple Catholic and Protestant sources.

Designate a “Bible Reading” room in your house. Lay out all the Bibles next to each other over the entire floor.

Open them all to the same page and start checking. Go verse by verse, checking word for word to see for yourself the amount of variation between translations and versions. Spend 8 hours a day for a year doing this.

You will soon realize there isn’t that much translation variation on issues of core doctrine. However, you begin to see how certain translations are inconsistent in translating certain words. So, move on to investigate this…

Now, pick a list of key words around a particular topic like: Hell, Gehenna, grave, Sheol, death. Go through the hundreds of occurrences in your concordances and check each and every translation laying out across the floor.

Make a spreadsheet to show how each Hebrew and Greek word is translated in each of the translations.

Now, repeat the process with multiple topics: Soul, Spirit, Anointed, Holy Spirit/Ghost, Kingdom, Heaven, God, Jehovah, Son, Christ.

Select each word and go through the Bible Commentaries… see how each religion discusses and analyses it. Look up all the scriptures they point to and double check against the other Commentaries and the 50+ translations.

By now, you’ll have a pretty good idea of what the Bible is really saying.

Now, buy some “Comparative Religion” books to see what all the religions are teaching. Compare their doctrine against what the Bible actually says. You’ll begin to notice there is a difference. Many doctrines and beliefs are not to be found in the Bible.

Go and visit each and every church in your community. Talk with the Minister/Pastor/Priest. Ask questions about their respect for Scripture, how they understand key scriptures, what are the values that are important to them, etc.

Now, you are ready to begin deciding which group has the truth and who you’d like to associate with.

note to mods, I think this double posted:o

Hi
I think that of my seventy seven years in this life and the years that I have been studying the Bible in all different denomnations that I have already do that, but not in the order that you suggest, That is way I am a Baptist

i highly doubt anyone on this forum has ever done that. that included the poster. so, because you have never done that, you can’t say you have the exclusive rights to the truth about Christianity. even if you had done that, it would still be YOUR interpretation. i think for this “experiment” to be valid, you would have to do this with a group of folks from lots of different Christian traditions.

Hellisreal,

I am too lazy for all that. I am just thankful that the Church and Magesterium has done all that reading and studying for me. Thank You Holy Spirit!

this just proves my point. i have spent much time reading and studying scripture (of many translations and original languages). i have read many interpretations and i have come to the conclusion that no one should be baptist. but that’s my conclusion not allischalmers

Sorry Alsclaimers,

I did not mention this was not my idea. Oh, no. I did not come up with this study. I should have mentioned that.:o

Thanks for replying.

Hey, now! I did not say I did this, nor did I come up with this study. :slight_smile:

I dont think you are lazy at all. You have more time to spend showing others Christ is all.:slight_smile:

Other than the overwelming amount of time and work involved, I see a couple of problems. What about historical context? Some of the Bible can only be understood when the cultural/historical situation is taken into acocunt. Second, what about books/verses left out or included? Are you going with a Catholic Bible or not? Or both? It seems like a lot of effort to find your place. What is missing? Why do you feel that this is the best way, or even a good way, to find the piece that fits your soul?

exactly–if the Bible was all there was to the Word of God I might be tempted to study it like that but it would be a matter of scruples:eek: to me. Thank goodness we (Catholics) know that the Bible alone is not everything there is to know!

Interesting points. Thank you

Saul was a pretty sharp Pharisee, before The Lord made a little personal visit. Called himself Paul after that and threw away all his books. David was but a shepherd boy when he was given the task of slaying Goliath. The Nativity was announced to simple shepherds as well. Lucia, Francisco, and Jacinta – shepherds.

Lesson – sheepskin is for clothing sheep, not writing scripture, like God wanted it. Can’t recall that Jesus lugged a library around with him either. He was the Word – didn’t need cheat-sheets. :wink:

He IS the Word bother in Christ.

He is not created, not a creature, He is the I AM.

So, not was- as this puts him in the past, as if He could be contained in a time or a place.

But, here I go breaking my own rules! Yikes!

Thank you for your comments, I liked the references, and it made me think of how Jesus told the little children to come to him.

Ok I swear I will really, really try to be as charitable as I can. See? I took 3 very deep breaths. Now …

I think the person that professed he or she actually performed this study method is lying. Specifically “Go verse by verse, checking word for word to see for yourself the amount of variation between [better than 50] translations and versions. Spend 8 hours a day for a year doing this,” raises my Redflagometer.

To prevent un-charity let us assume the poster actually did perform this amazing task. So ing what? Reading different or even the same bible 50+ times does what? Allow one to see 50 similar translations for what? Did it allow the student to come to a more fuller understanding of the Scriptures? Did it allow the student to comprehend any sort of social, geological, political, religious, and or cultural context of the Scriptures? Of course not. You have to read literature outside of Scripture to do that. Did the student read any of the Scriptures in the original languages? Of course not, if he or she did why bother with 50+ other English translations when you could just read the older manuscripts in the original languages and come to the contextual and literal meanings of the inspired authors from those?

Everyone has an agenda. I have one too. I don’t deny it.

:smiley:

I thank you for your reply b_justb.

I really thought there would be more responses to this, as its most definately the only study like this I have ever read about before.

Some of the translations mentioned were not orthodox I noted, and wonder if there is any connection between that and the verse in John, and also am wondering about the commentaries in these too…

Hmmm.

honestly, I don’t think it would take a year to study this. yeah there are alot of books but most of the stuff is redundant. For one thing this study described has a clear agenda of validating the studier’s preset belief system. If it was truly unbiased it would include more than just the books that are known to agree with the starting point. So really how many hours can you devote to proving yourself right? 8 hours a day? I can’t see this taking more than a week or two. You can’t compare this to a college course because it would include so much more—class time, study time, lab time, discourses, etc…of course it would take much longer to cover this material in a college setting. But to just sit down with a bunch of Bibles and books that all pretty much repeat each other to find out something you already think you know…eh. Less than a month anyway.

I designed a from-scratch Bible study for my husband who knew absolutely nothing about the Bible, with a commentary and the New American Catholic Bible and some added material from online, that is approx an hour a day’s worth of reading for 10 weeks and completes the whole Bible. How much more time could it take to compare translations when 99% of the scriptures are going to be identical if you gave it 8 hours a day?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.