Anyone Else a Children's Literature Fan?

OK…this is a little strange maybe…but does anyone else out there enjoy reading Children’s Literature? :slight_smile:

I took this class for college “Children’s Literature/LIT 310” about three years ago, and I have been found checking out books from the Children’s Section ever since! I love them! I find them very relaxing and enjoyable. I also can get through them (I am a slow reader.) They are so much more fun than trying to struggle through adult literature or novels.

Any one else out there a Children’s Literature fan? :slight_smile:

What level? There is a LOT of really good young adult fiction out there for pre-teens – books that deal with single parenthood, divorce, peer pressure. Very compelling.

Otherwise, I love the classics: *Anne of Green Gables, Narnia, Little Women . . . *

Step down a notch in age: *Otto of the Silver Hand. *Down another notch The Velveteen Rabbit, Good Night Moon.

Whenever I want a quick overview of a topic I don’t want to get a PhD in, I go to the children’s section of the library and see if they have a book on it . . .

I love many favorites that I read as a child. I’ve found many good new books while pre-reading for my children. They are old enough now that I’m not quite as worried about inappropriate content as I used to be–because although much “young adult lit” is so much junk, my teen dd isn’t drawn to books like that.

It is nice though, when I want a quick, relaxing read, to not be worried about the junk that is adult modern best-selling fiction either! LOL

Yes! Have you read any G.A. Henty? Not necessarily children’s lit, maybe jr high and high school, but great writing!

Charlotte Yonge is also very good. —KCT

I definitely am, although I’ve just about always had the excuse of having a child to read to…starting with my youngest sister who is 15 years younger than me. When I was pregnant with my first child I already started stocking up on my favorite books in anticipation…all of the Little House books, The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, all the Anne of Green Gables, Caddie Woodlawn, The Great Brain series…I went to the used book stores, and one owner was nice enough to give me a discount just at the thought that I was stocking up for a child that hadn’t even been born yet. :slight_smile: I’ve got four kids now, so I have had plenty of chances to enjoy children’s literature over the years, including reading all of the Harry Potter’s out loud til my voice was hoarse.

So, yes, I am a fan.

I like children’s books, too. :slight_smile:

My collection is rather random, though - I have books like Dave Cooks the Turkey alongside the Beatrix Potter collection, and Peter Pan and Wendy.

Ooooh! Ooooh! I forgot two of my favorites: Kipling’s *Captains Courageous *and Kim.

I teach Children’s Literature. There’s some wonderful stuff out there, and one of the assigments I give is to read one of the classics (Anne Of Green Gables, Alice In Wonderland, Treasure Island etc.) For most of my students (who seem to think that all children’s books are written by Dr. Seuss or Eric Carle) this is an eyeopener.

Reading out loud–another favorite pasttime of mine! We didn’t read Harry Potter, but tons of other books. Trained my children to listen to books on tape for long car rides even! Read *The Hobbit *and *Old Yeller *that way most recently. I am now planning for our summer trip!

I was browsing the “3 for 2” racks at my local Borders, and was delighted to see “Half Magic” by Edward Eager! This was one of my favorites in 5th grade, and I’m glad to see it still in print.

Right now I am re-reading “The Little House” books and “Ann of Green Gables.” Good stuff! :thumbsup:

I just love these “suggestions.” And I will take them as such. :wink:

Glad to know I am not alone. Some of the best classics are in children’s literature, as well as some of the best reads! :slight_smile:

Good for you! :thumbsup: My Children’s Literature professor was so good, that I no longer care what people think seeing a “big person” in the children’s section. I just prance along with wonder and excitement searching for my next book to read. (Well maybe not THAT dramatically, but that’s what’s happening on the inside for sure!) :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

When I started homeschooling my kids four years ago, I bought a literature-based curriculum. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading these stories with my children. Another source for excellent kids books for me has been A Landscape with Dragons by Obrien. I still have the wonderful excuse that I am pre-reading for the boys, but I know that it is all for my own enjoyment.:wink:

I would never think twice about seeing a “big person” in the kids’ section! I think I would probably assume they’re browsing for a child :slight_smile:

I am/was a school and children’s librarian. I LOVE reading children’s and YA lit. I’m reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz to my son right now. I try to stay on top of the award winners each year too and read those.

One of last year’s Newbery’s, The Princess Academy was wonderful!

This year’s Caldecott is by David Wienser, Flotsam. This is his thrid winner and he also has three or four honor books. All of his books are incredible! Many are wordless and great for kids, young and old. One of my favorite lessons with his books is to have the kids “narrate” the book. It’s amazing to see and hear the creatiove ideas based on the same illustrations!

This didn’t win the Newbery, but it may have won a National Book Award: The Mysterious Benedict Society. Great for readers who love to solve puzzles!

Of course, I’m also a fan of Lucy Maud Montgomery, Narnia, Ramona, and the like.

Oh, yes: I AM a Harry Potter fan (though not a rabid one)!

Remember, that’s “Anne” spelt with an “e”!

I like LIW too (see my signature), and has anyone read Roger Lea MacBride’s series about Rose? The first one is Little House on Rocky Ridge. There are also series and partial series about Caroline and her mother, etc.

I love childrens’ lit!

My favorites:
Little House books
Narnia
Anne of Green Gables series
Redwall series (currently reading)
Harry Potter

As a teacher, I have to say I love children’s literature! I acctually read it more than adult literature. I have found that most of the best seller’s in adult lit. are a little to “adult” for my taste. However, in the young adult section you can find books that are just good stories, and you don’t have to worry about smut. (of course I’m talking about actual literature-not your “beach book series” type stories) As for picture books- I love anything by Patricia Pollaco. Her stories almost always make me cry. I love books that make me cry. My current favorite is The Christmas Tapestry I love her books! For chapter books I love the classics like everyone else, but I also love several books by Kate de Camillo. The Tale of Despereaux and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane are two of my favorites by her. The kids love both of those books they even come back the next year and want to know If I’ve read The Tale of Despereaux to the new class yet. Then they tell the new kids, “Oh, you are going to love that book! It is the best ever!” I like books that let the kids get deep, and really think about things.

I love kids books. I work at an afterschool/summer program and it is great right now because right when I get to work, the kids have a half hour of reading time. :smiley: And I’m supposed to set a good example right? So I guess I have to read too. :wink:

I just read Harriet the Spy and Holes, both of which I had never read before. Now I’m reading Anne of Green Gables which I did read as a kid.

Some of my favorites are all of the Narnia books and all of Madeline L’Engle’s kid/young adult books. The Phantom Tollbooth is also one of my all time favorites!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.