Anyone else dislike the sign of peace?

I feel like a crudgemugen, but I always sort of dread that part of the Mass. I hate forced friendliness and touchy feely stuff. I especially can’t stand it at daily Mass. Usually everyone is sort of spread apart at daily Mass, so I just wave and smile. I always feel silly.

I fake it pretty well, but I still can’t stand it. I think the kids like it though. I wish they’d get rid of it. Aren’t I a killjoy? But, the whole thing reminds me of my mother forcing me kiss someone or be friendly.

Anyone else feel this way???

I do sometimes, especially when I’m alone at Mass and surrounded by couples and families, so I’m standing there for quite awhile as they all hug each other before anyone offers me a handshake. Daily Mass is another problem, if everyone’s spread out. It can also be a distraction after the consecration - perhaps it would be better at the end of Mass?

I don’t care for it. And even if I did it seems really forced and inappropriate somehow to do it at that point in the Mass.

It isn’t done in the TLM and I really appreciate that.

James

I find it rather distracting to be honest. Hands reaching everywhere, very distracting indeed. I would much rather hold hands during the Our Father, which I know we shouldn’t.

I really don’t mind it…but then I think I’m probably a naturally friendly person anyway…and I’m from a Baptist background where we periodically extended the ‘right hand of fellowship’ to the people around us …so its not really that big a deal to me.

dream wanderer

I am not a big fan of the kiss of peace. Fellowship should occur before/after the mass in my opinion. If we must keep the kiss of peace, why is it just after consecration, when we should be 100% focused on the sacrament we are about to receive?

[quote=Lurch104]I am not a big fan of the kiss of peace. Fellowship should occur before/after the mass in my opinion. If we must keep the kiss of peace, why is it just after consecration, when we should be 100% focused on the sacrament we are about to receive?
[/quote]

I agree with Lurch104. It seems a rather phony way to enforce some sense of “community” when in fact it does not seem to do much towards building an authentic supernatural community at all.

Further, its timing makes it almost seem as if it is the high point of the Mass. And also in regards to timing, we have Jesus Christ present Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity on the altar at that point and what do we do? We turn our attention away from Him to say “hi” to our neighbor. And Jesus is present in a much greater, more profound way in the holy Eucharist than He is in the assembled community, so there is no good reason to turn our attention away from Him after the consecration.

Can you imagine Jesus feeling this way?

After all, He made the original sign of peace…

The sign of peace is only one of 862 reasons why I attend only the Tridentine Mass.

Well, not everyone is as godly as you, Forgiven. Some of us aren’t quite up to being as good as Jesus and think the sign of peace is awkward. We all are in different places in our spiritual walks, I guess.

I love it!

If I could go to every brother and sister in the Church and give them a hug and the Peace of Jesus I would be extremely happy.

It must show because I have so many folks come up to me and tell me that they like to sit near me because I make them feel really good. This happens all the time and in every parish I attend.

It is not phony but very real. I am so grateful to God that He has allowed me to enjoy HIS SIGN OF PEACE.

I just can’t imagine how horrible it must be for all of you to be forced into this. This is one of the oldest traditions in the Church. Well…actually in the early Church, it was a kiss. I read in one of my Church history books that it was stopped because folks enjoyed it too much.

So far, no one has run away from me.

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_5_10.gif

Of course YOU love it Roberta. You are an incredibly warm and wonderful person, unlike pitiful me. What can I say? :o

It must be all the English in me, some genetic dislike of display…

It never bothers me to say a kind word to someone at mass.

White Dove, you are English??? I had no idea. You know, of course, I am pure Irish. I will say a Rosary for you, Dear… then when you get to our house in Northern California, WE WILL HUG YOU AND HUG YOU UNTIL YOU CAN NEVER AGAIN LIVE WITHOUT IT!

I am pure Irish and my hubby is pure Italian. You do not have a chance.

I’m English and Dutch :slight_smile:

That’s OK, Dear, I will say a Novena for you along with the Rosarys. You know, none of us can choose.

[quote=Forgiven]Can you imagine Jesus feeling this way?

After all, He made the original sign of peace…
[/quote]

Well, again, it is the timing. I don’t recall Jesus making any Sign of Peace after the consecration at the Last Supper.

Thus, to me, it is not about being unfriendly. I like people who are friendly and have no problems at all with hugging. Nevertheless, it just does not seem as if it should be done after the consecration.

After all, at Mass we are outside of time at Cavalry, at the foot of the cross, and that does not seem like the spot where people would naturally start exchanging hugs and handshakes.

I dislike it very much, I’m not a fan of handshaking to begin with and this is a very distracting man-centered act that the Mass is better off without. Assumption Grotto in Detroit is a church that has the NO Mass but does not have the sign of peace exchange, the sacrifice remains central as it should be.

I dislike the modern sign of piece. I would only do it if I was a priest,deacon, subdeacon at a Traditional High Mass.

Well, all I can say is write your Bishop and tell him it is wrong. I would suggest that you tell him “it just doesn’t feel right” and you don’t think Jesus did it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.