I’ve used color pencils to color-code my KJV Bible for the past 20 years, at least. Now that I’ve got a new Catholic Bible (the Didache RSV-2CE), I’m having fun recoloring my Bible.
I’ve been reading the Daily Readings with my Magnificat and my Bible so I can read the larger context of the Readings and color as I go.
I love to study Scripture using this method, since I can flip to a page and easily find the passage I want. My Bible is becoming a beautiful rainbow of colors. I don’t find it distracting at all…the color helps me remember the passages that I’ve studied and makes it much easier for me to find the particular passages again quickly.
I use Prismacolor pencils so the color glides on easily, and can easily be erased if I make a mistake or change my mind. Color pencils don’t bleed through the page and are light enough that the text is not obscured like it would be with pens or highlighters.
My personal color-code method is:
- Red–Salvation, Jesus’ Mercy and Blood, and desperate pleas to God for salvation/deliverance/protection
- Pink–Uplifting, encouraging, comforting promises from God
- Purple–God the Father
- Sky Blue–Jesus
- Green–Holy Spirit & Wisdom
- Magenta–Mother Mary
- Blue–Christian living, commands and exhortations of how I should be living
- Orange–The future, the Second Coming of Christ, Heaven
- Yellow–the Scriptures and Sacred Tradition
Since I am addicted to Bible study and love using this method, I was wondering if anyone else out there does this as well? I’d love to hear your method of highlighting your favorite passages.