Anyone else tired of the

ME ME ME self absorbed culture we seem to be living in. Sorry just venting.

Yep

oh definitely, just got back from a week at a friend's before her wedding and oh my goodness. No appreciation for the sacrifices we made to travel 620 miles one way to help out. I'm not surprised at all, it's just sad!

Absolutely! I have a friend that I’ve done an incredible amount for… Comforting her, defending her, etc. When I proudly told her that I’m Christian, she borderline dissed me.

[quote="Luvz2travel, post:1, topic:252292"]

[/quote]

Man, life just SUCKS!

:extrahappy:

[quote="Tomcmaj, post:5, topic:252292"]
Man, life just SUCKS!

:extrahappy:

[/quote]

:D

The irony in some of these posts is just stunning.

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:7, topic:252292"]
The irony in some of these posts is just stunning.

~Liza

[/quote]

Liza,

Sometimes irony is called for, and in this instance it might be called for. It has always been a Me, Me, Me culture from the fall of the human race. And ranting about it does not seem to do any good, how about praying about it?

Ever since I saw this post, I did think how true, every age though it could be said of it. I wondered what I could do about it, and the best angle that I think to go about starting with it, is to start with myself. I am going to pray to God that I can be less focused on myself, becuase despite the good progress in my life, I am a very selfish wretched sinner that is in need of detachment. And I believe that's the best place to start with. How can I even look to the world when my own life needs to be ordered?

And so, I appreciated Tomcmaj's comment on a deeper level. How much easier, my human nature says, it would be to change everyone else, than changing myself. And yet it cannot be that way, and that is what stinks . I guess that's the "Me, Me, Me" coming out. So yes, there is irony here, but True nevertheless.

I hope I made sense as to what my thought process was and why I posted.

God bless.

[quote="Little_One0307, post:8, topic:252292"]

I hope I made sense as to what my thought process was and why I posted.

[/quote]

I was not referring to you, but your post was insightful nonetheless.

~Liza

Well it was grilled into when I was young not to be selfish and I guess it stuck. It's not any one particular thing that gets on my nerves just the whole environment we live in now days from tv shows to music to well materialism. :shrug::cool:

[quote="Luvz2travel, post:10, topic:252292"]
Well it was grilled into when I was young not to be selfish and I guess it stuck. It's not any one particular thing that gets on my nerves just the whole environment we live in now days from tv shows to music to well materialism. :shrug::cool:

[/quote]

I agree, it is tiresome and I have to really be careful not to get too immersed into that mindset again. I was brought up in a secular environment and learning Christianity has been difficult at times. Prayer and sacraments are crucial. I also try and spend more time with practising Christians because they are a good influence on me.

[/quote]

That is enough about you, can we now talk about me?

[quote="Cristiano, post:12, topic:252292"]
That is enough about you, can we now talk about me?

[/quote]

Ahhh is that a reference to the country song? I loved that song.

[quote="Little_One0307, post:13, topic:252292"]
Ahhh is that a reference to the country song? I loved that song.

[/quote]

No it was a reference to my wife! :D:D:D:D:D

[quote="Little_One0307, post:8, topic:252292"]
And so, I appreciated Tomcmaj's comment on a deeper level. How much easier, my human nature says, it would be to change everyone else, than changing myself.

[/quote]

Hey, thanks for the call-out, Little One!

It DOES start with us. And it's amazing how much what we do affects other people, many people who we would be surprised, even shocked to learn were affected by the seemingly smallest things we do.

It seems, too, that each generation is disappointed by the newest generation. The Greek philosophers were disappointed, even Jesus was disappointed. Every age seems to have its own brand of selfishness.

[quote="Tomcmaj, post:15, topic:252292"]
Hey, thanks for the call-out, Little One!

It DOES start with us. And it's amazing how much what we do affects other people, many people who we would be surprised, even shocked to learn were affected by the seemingly smallest things we do.

It seems, too, that each generation is disappointed by the newest generation. The Greek philosophers were disappointed, even Jesus was disappointed. Every age seems to have its own brand of selfishness.

[/quote]

Tomcmaj,

Yes. There have been many times where I have bemoaned how bad things are and wished that other people would change, and guess what I found out that I was the one who needed to change. It's sure not easy. I wonder why it is easier to blame otherse than take responsibility and change yourself.

I guess that is a tie over from when God asked Adam why he ate of the fruit, and the blame got passed to the woman, and when he asked Eve what she had done, Eve blamed it on the serpent. I wonder what would have happened had Adam said, "You know what God, I ate from the tree I was told by you not to touch, I'm sorry, can you forgive me?" I wonder how things would have been different.

Yep I am hoping that someday there will come an age where people will take the initative and change the world by changing themselves.

God bless.

Unfortunately, that describes my daughter. She's an only-child and we tried to bring her up right, in the faith and unspoiled but apparently it didn't work. She's in college now, about an hour away, and as much as we do for her with rides to/from school on holidays, money, etc. she gets very angry when we can't drop everything to come get her. As a matter of fact, today she sent me a text-message tirade because I had a day full of meetings and couldn't come get her for a weekend visit. She'll have to wait until tomorrow morning but that doesn't help her attitude. So sad.

[/quote]

Yeah, certainly, though can't claim to be immune to it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.