Anyone Encountered Spiritual Warfare?

Friends: I’d love to know how any of you folks have truly encountered real “spiritual warfare” in your lives. I sure have with my H’s family for the past 17 years, and still continuing. It’s I believe one of my true crosses to bear, and may I say a considerable challenge to know how to handle it. A re-read of Ephesians 6 lately has prepared me so much better for this battle, and made me aware of protection in a spiritual way, but may I say, the devil attacks when we least expect it. Has anybody encountered this? Maybe at work? Family situation? Let’s discuss.

Thank goodness for God’s Word. And for this armour to withstand the devil in today’s world. We Catholics just have to be equipped and ready, don’t you think?

Blessings~~

Yeah, some majorly creepy stuff happened on a mission trip that I was on. I came into that mission trip totally unprepared for spiritual warfare (especially in the way that we encountered it) and returned from the trip with a totally new view of the power of Jesus’ name and the scripture. They are the best ways to fight against spiritual warfare.Praying in the name of Jesus can have amazing effects!

I can feel demons/Satan/evil constantly trying to screw me up. It’s not a good feeling to have, I’ll tell you that. But, what makes it worthwhile is that even as I feel an evil presence or something like that, I also feel as if God is personally pushing them back, making sure that I’m safe in His arms.

ummm…I was married to a pagan worshipping ex satanic priest ex Catholic…what more is there to say? My whole marriage was spiritual warfare. Good thing he confided in me very early on that satans biggest flaw is the one thing not in that “religion” which is…LOVE.

I’ve never shared this anywhere with anyone for fear that they would think I was crazy. But I have felt the presence of demons on a number occasions. Always in my sleep, sometimes it’s difficult to breathe as if a hand is over my mouth. I’ve even seen horrid faces, but only in my mind as if in a dream but I KNOW it was not a dream.

I say the name Jesus repeatedly and I feel them flee as if they’ve been burned with a fire.

Very scary stuff. I often ask Mary to pray before I go to sleep.

I’d love to know if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this.

A couple of years ago I was stabbed. I heard a voice tell me that if I wanted to die, I could, and if I wanted to get out of it all, I could. It was a voice, not just a linguistic construction in my mind.

God bless,
Aaron

Yup, pretty sure I have. :thumbsup:

Seems like it anyway.

yep - there are days when I can get very discouraged about prayer. Days when my head says, “who really cares if I pray because nothing good comes of it”. That’s spiritual warfare because I know better and it’s a fight to not give in to those thoughts of despair.

There are times when trying people in my life pop in and out to derail my patience and make me lose hope.

This happened about 2 weeks ago, some real bad dawg from my past tracked me down and derailed me for a short time. Then I battled it by going to mass and praying for him instead.

We can only be strong with Christ at our side.

[quote=Sugar Ray]I’ve never shared this anywhere with anyone for fear that they would think I was crazy. But I have felt the presence of demons on a number occasions. Always in my sleep, sometimes it’s difficult to breathe as if a hand is over my mouth. I’ve even seen horrid faces, but only in my mind as if in a dream but I KNOW it was not a dream.

I say the name Jesus repeatedly and I feel them flee as if they’ve been burned with a fire.

Very scary stuff. I often ask Mary to pray before I go to sleep.

I’d love to know if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this.
[/quote]

Hi Friend SugarRay:

Yes, just lately, I felt the demonic forces trying to get me thry my H’s family. My heart was beating, I had to get up in the middle of the nite and grab a nip of brandy, then prayed Lord, flee my enemies, help these folks who so need you, I pray for them…and fell asleep holding and saying the Rosary. YOU and I have the power of Jesus and the Rosary on our side no matter what. And just think on Jesus’ peace, and how the peace is passed to one another at every Mass. WE truly have this Peace, we just need to KNOW IT sometimes.!!!

[quote=jrabs]yep - Then I battled it by going to mass and praying for him instead.

[/quote]

Halleighluia!!! (sp?) JRABS!! This is the BEST thing we can do when the powers and principalities and evil people come at us in this life. They always will, seems the more we yearn to be a true Christian in this life, the MORE the forces try to get us. I think when we have a particular battle we’re facing, we definately need to go to a Mass in the week, to help us, thru the awesome power of Christ face it head-on!!!

That’s the way to handle it JRABS! You’re awesome! Wish you lived next door!!!

[quote=sparkle]Halleighluia!!! (sp?) JRABS!! This is the BEST thing we can do when the powers and principalities and evil people come at us in this life. They always will, seems the more we yearn to be a true Christian in this life, the MORE the forces try to get us. I think when we have a particular battle we’re facing, we definately need to go to a Mass in the week, to help us, thru the awesome power of Christ face it head-on!!!

That’s the way to handle it JRABS! You’re awesome! Wish you lived next door!!!
[/quote]

Yeah - or at least in the same town! You’re great too!

I have one very special relative who is a Greek Orthodox and has been so for about 5 years now. She is the only relative who has watched EWTN, despite all the relatives I have told about it too. She has bothered to read many books, that the rest of my family is not interested in, and is very intelligent. She is very dear, and a True, True Christian in every sense. She and I are THE only folks in our huge family of Prots probably 300 or so, many of them, including my Dad a pastor, to answer this call to break out from our upbringing. Funny, how it seems we two also are THE only ones to face such spiritual warfare as well. I wonder why is this? For the rest of them, everything always goes so well. They have NO conflicts, etc. Yet, we two, have had many spiritual battles to face in this life.
Any thoughts? I am thinking this is most interesting. Why? do you think friends?

[quote=sparkle]I wonder why is this? For the rest of them, everything always goes so well. They have NO conflicts, etc. Yet, we two, have had many spiritual battles to face in this life.
Any thoughts? I am thinking this is most interesting. Why? do you think friends?
[/quote]

Easy - the others are not a threat to evil. You must be doing things right and making great spiritual strides in your personal life for the devil to take notice and try to derail, discourage and distract you.

He has tried many things lately to derail you, yet your faith seems to grow stronger - especially in the past year since I have “met” you. You may not think so - but those of us who have followed you know this to be true.

Look what you have done this year? Started praying the rosary, RCIA and your conversion. You are also adamant about getting your family to go to church with you. That’s why you are a threat and need derailing.

God bless you in your attempts and keep you safe. Saint Michael the Arch Angel, defend us in the day of battle…

[quote=jrabs]Look what you have done this year? Started praying the rosary, RCIA and your conversion. You are also adamant about getting your family to go to church with you. That’s why you are a threat and need derailing.
God bless you in your attempts and keep you safe. Saint Michael the Arch Angel, defend us in the day of battle…
[/quote]

What do you mean JRABS “That’s why you are a threat and need derailing”? Could you explain?

Funny, this one relative, gave me a gorgeous icon a couple years ago, even before I became a Catholic of St. Michael, the Arch Angel–almost as if she knew what I would be facing. Wow, this is powerful!

[quote=sparkle]What do you mean JRABS “That’s why you are a threat and need derailing”? Could you explain?

Funny, this one relative, gave me a gorgeous icon a couple years ago, even before I became a Catholic of St. Michael, the Arch Angel–almost as if she knew what I would be facing. Wow, this is powerful!
[/quote]

Like I said, you are not luke warm. You have faith and a growing one at that. The devil pays no mind to those who are luke warm because he actually already has them in his back pocket.

But your prayerful life and your desire to draw your family close to prayer disrupts the devils plans to keep them lukewarm or misguided. That’s what I mean by threat. You just jeapardize the evil one’s plan at capturing as many souls as possible.

Look -you have noticed that those lives around you seem to go along swimmingly - almost perfect and even blessed at times. And you sit back and shake your head saying, “sheesh, they don’t even pray or go to church, how can their lives be so blessed.”

Well, that is just a great illusion to make us think prayer does nothing. Just an illusion.

Apologetics is 95% spiritual warfare and 5% rational discussion of the truth.

And I am probably being optimistic that rational discussion is as high as 5%. :wink:

[quote=jrabs]Easy - the others are not a threat to evil. That’s why you are a threat and need derailing.

[/quote]

What? Please explain jrabs.

[quote=Matt16_18]Apologetics is 95% spiritual warfare and 5% rational discussion of the truth.

And I am probably being optimistic that rational discussion is as high as 5%. :wink:
[/quote]

what?

[quote=sparkle]What? Please explain jrabs.
[/quote]

post 15.

[quote=sparkle]Friends: I’d love to know how any of you folks have truly encountered real “spiritual warfare” in your lives. I sure have with my H’s family for the past 17 years, and still continuing. It’s I believe one of my true crosses to bear, and may I say a considerable challenge to know how to handle it. A re-read of Ephesians 6 lately has prepared me so much better for this battle, and made me aware of protection in a spiritual way, but may I say, the devil attacks when we least expect it. Has anybody encountered this? Maybe at work? Family situation? Let’s discuss.

Thank goodness for God’s Word. And for this armour to withstand the devil in today’s world. We Catholics just have to be equipped and ready, don’t you think?

Blessings~~
[/quote]

Early on in our marriage, we moved to Bellingham, WA. Without realizing it at the time, we moved into an apartment complex where satanic rituals were apparently being done. Glancing across the way, I remember seeing the upside down crucifix in neighboring apartments, and we realized that we had to move. Between the Satanic and LDS influence in Whatcom County at that time, we were glad to have an opportunity to leave and start over in another area shortly thereafter. Although countryside is gorgeous, it was a really dark time in our lives.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.