Anyone ever have/had eating disorder/known someone with one

What was your experience with that person or, if it was you, with it?

I have two friends with eating disorders both suffered from sexual abuse as children. I’m not sure what you mean by experience with them?

It starts from a desire to improve yourself. I think it starts because people today are unforgiving of physical deficiencies. When you are fat, people think you are ugly and shun you in many ways. It becomes a way to show the critics wrong and to prove your worth to them. When you continue to be shunned and made fun of, you try to get thinner because in your mind this is your way of trying to look better to them.

Is this from personal experience? Because my experience with those who have it -it really isn’t about physical appearance -its about feeling in control of something. My one friend whom I’ve known most of my life has battled this illness on and off for years. It becomes much harder to resist the urge (she’s bulimic) when life is particularly stressful. We’ve talked about it. Its like being able to feel in control of something when everything else feels out of control. I truly believe it stems back to her being molested as a child. I’ve read biographically books on anorexia/bulimia and it also seems to be about feeling in control from those accounts as well.

Yes I know some people with them. Its because of the media and actual people who are so judgemental, especially among younger people.

Its sad that they feel they need to throw up or starve themselves just to fit in.

I know a girl who suffered from one as a child. She is a married women now with two children, and her husband is very concerned that she could suffer from those self image issues now, because she has put on some weight due to the kids.

It's a tragedy that society puts this pressure on women to look a certain way. (Yes, I know men can also have eating disorders but it's incredibly rare).

[quote="rayne89, post:4, topic:220608"]
Is this from personal experience? Because my experience with those who have it -it really isn't about physical appearance -its about feeling in control of something. My one friend whom I've known most of my life has battled this illness on and off for years. It becomes much harder to resist the urge (she's bulimic) when life is particularly stressful. We've talked about it. Its like being able to feel in control of something when everything else feels out of control. I truly believe it stems back to her being molested as a child. I've read biographically books on anorexia/bulimia and it also seems to be about feeling in control from those accounts as well.

[/quote]

On Easter of 2009, I weighted 260 pounds. I am 6'2" tall. By December of 2009, I was at 168 pounds. Ive held mainly steady around 170 since December. You get the feeling of control from being able to control how others feel by losing the weight. It is basically a last resort. I didnt throw up or anything. I just ate a lot less food. However, I can understand how someone would throw up. Losing weight takes time. Some dont want to do it slowly. Others want to maintain their weight but find it hard to do with their diet, lifestyle or genetics.

I think that fat people get treated horribly. Neither gender wants to date a fat person. Society as a whole despises fat people because they are seen as lazy consumers that keep healthcare high. They are called many names and this is seen as acceptable. Normal people see the treatment fat people get and do all they can from coming close to being that way. If someone dates a fat person or marries one, they are seen as desperate and settling for a LOT less. My greatest motivation when losing weight was to not be back at the higher weight where people could judge me for being fat.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.