Anyone giving up smoking for Lent?

I’ve been smoking cigarettes (2 pack a day habit) for over 30 years. I’ve got a cigarette in my mouth as I’m typing this. Ash Wednesday is my quit date. I’m laying in a stock of Nicorette gum, (to handle the cravings), sugar-free lollipops and rosary beads, centerpieces and crucifixes (making rosaries will give me something to do with my hands – I hope). And I’ve got an appointment with my confessor on Tuesday morning to enlist his prayers and blessing.

I know I will need prayer and support. If anyone else is trying to overcome this sin this Lent, perhaps we can use this thread to offer each other encouragement in this discipline. Former smokers are welcome to offer tips on how they did it. Thank you. . . please pray for me; I’ll pray for you. . .

You will be in my prayers.

Many years ago (the '50s), when I was in grade school, there was a sermon preached by our Parish Priest (who also happened to be Archdiocesan Vicar General) about giving up smoking for Lent. He cautioned that one be very careful about doing so, lest one commit more sins through crankiness and bad temper than one could gain grace from the denial.

Mind you, back then there was not nearly so much (hardly any) support available for those who sought to kick the habit, but his words suggest that, today, getting that support is probably a good idea.

All the best in your efforts.

Blessings,

Gerry

[quote=Gerry Hunter]You will be in my prayers.
Many years ago (the '50s), when I was in grade school, there was a sermon preached by our Parish Priest (who also happened to be Archdiocesan Vicar General) about giving up smoking for Lent. He cautioned that one be very careful about doing so, lest one commit more sins through crankiness and bad temper than one could gain grace from the denial.

[/quote]

Thanks, Gerry. I’ve thought of that – I’ve quit before on the short term (dh and dd are looking forward to my quitting smoking like they’d look forward to root canal.) :frowning:

But quitting during a time when there is, perhaps, more availability of confession, and a more penitential nature to the liturgy could be helpful and enable me to avoid or at least short stop those occasions of sin. Thank you for your prayers and thank you for the reminder.

K.G.

Cold turkey 8 years ago for me…best thing I ever gave up for Lent

Kathy

[quote=kaygee]I’ve been smoking cigarettes (2 pack a day habit) for over 30 years. I’ve got a cigarette in my mouth as I’m typing this. Ash Wednesday is my quit date. I’m laying in a stock of Nicorette gum, (to handle the cravings), sugar-free lollipops and rosary beads, centerpieces and crucifixes (making rosaries will give me something to do with my hands – I hope). And I’ve got an appointment with my confessor on Tuesday morning to enlist his prayers and blessing.

I know I will need prayer and support. If anyone else is trying to overcome this sin this Lent, perhaps we can use this thread to offer each other encouragement in this discipline. Former smokers are welcome to offer tips on how they did it. Thank you. . . please pray for me; I’ll pray for you. . .
[/quote]

I am doing it to. I have been a pack a day smoker for about fifteen years. I know that it is going to be tough. I too am going to go to confession over this one. Let me ride this one out with you, as I too am going to be a cranky guy. Still, it is the best thing for me, and I know it. I also know that giving up something for lent is nothing unless it really is going to be a struggle. It is in that struggle that we get to focus our attention on God. So, when they put the ash on my forehead on Wednesday, you and I get to do this one together with God’s grace.

If anybody else wants to join us, please do so. Goodness knows that we need you. Prayers are also greatly appreciated!

[quote=kaygee]I’ve been smoking cigarettes (2 pack a day habit) for over 30 years. I’ve got a cigarette in my mouth as I’m typing this. Ash Wednesday is my quit date. I’m laying in a stock of Nicorette gum, (to handle the cravings), sugar-free lollipops and rosary beads, centerpieces and crucifixes (making rosaries will give me something to do with my hands – I hope). And I’ve got an appointment with my confessor on Tuesday morning to enlist his prayers and blessing.

[/quote]

I recently quit smoking, what did it was lung pluresy. Man that hurt so bad, I could barely breath. I started thinking this is what it’ll be like when I die if I continue smoking. I quit and never even craved another cigarette. If I had the slightest thought I brought up images of lying in the hospital with my kids watching as I suffocate to death far too young. I tried everything before, but what made me quit is the reality of a very slow and painful death that was my definite future if I kept smoking.

Scare yourself smoke free, maybe visit a hospital and do volunteer work and see lung cancer patients dying. This is an INCREDIBLY powerful and good way to quit. It changes the psychology of smoking when you see it first hand directly related to death. A bit morbid but it works. Or perhaps pray for some lung ailment that hampers breathing, it’ll the pants off you and you’ll toss your cigarettes and start walkng everyday.

Brad, you are definitely on my prayer list. . .

Kathy, how did you handle the cravings and irritability? cold turkey is probably the best way to go, but this flesh is definitely weak. . .

Is there a patron saint for this?

Mike D. I’ll pray for your continued healing. . . my pastor died a couple of months ago of lung cancer . . . you are right, I’ll pray to/for him for help. . . remembering what purgatory he went through in his last few months.

[quote=kaygee]Brad, you are definitely on my prayer list. . .

Kathy, how did you handle the cravings and irritability? cold turkey is probably the best way to go, but this flesh is definitely weak. . .

Is there a patron saint for this?

Mike D. I’ll pray for your continued healing. . .
[/quote]

And I assure you that you will be on mine kaygee!

[quote=kaygee] . . …Kathy, how did you handle the cravings and irritability? cold turkey is probably the best way to go, but this flesh is definitely weak. . . .
[/quote]

I had 6-4 and 220 lbs of inspiration. And I am no stranger to hard work. What was tough is that both my kids did and still do smoke :frowning:
The bad thing was I gained weight. And am STILL trying to work it off. As for cravings…the immediate ones were gone in a few days. Then it was a battle of wills between me and them. I will tell you however that TO THIS DAY there are SOME times I would commit murder for a cigarette.
With lots of prayers,
Kathy

[/quote]

Hi! Yes, I’m planning on quitting smoking for Lent. It’s going to be a great sacrifice, but well worth it.

Both hubby and I smoke, and we’re planning on doing it together (he’s a non-Catholic), but we’ve both geared ourself up for it. We’ve been counting our cigarette intake for the past two weeks, we’ve got Nicorette gum, lots of mints, we’re hiding the ashtrays and cleaning out any sign of temptation around the house. It’s scary, but with the Lord’s help and prayers, we both hope to be successful.

I join in with all of you in sending up prayers for your success! :thumbsup:

[quote=Tonks40]Hi! Yes, I’m planning on quitting smoking for Lent. It’s going to be a great sacrifice, but well worth it.

Both hubby and I smoke, and we’re planning on doing it together (he’s a non-Catholic), but we’ve both geared ourself up for it. We’ve been counting our cigarette intake for the past two weeks, we’ve got Nicorette gum, lots of mints, we’re hiding the ashtrays and cleaning out any sign of temptation around the house. It’s scary, but with the Lord’s help and prayers, we both hope to be successful.

I join in with all of you in sending up prayers for your success! :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Point to ponder. I hear that this helps. Clean your house and your car. I am doing both, as I am quitting with you! I hear that by getting the smell out of your life, it makes it easier. Just an idea, but I know I need all the help that I can get!

I’ve been thinking about it. I’m just so scared. I’ve been trying to taper off for a while. I used to smoke a lot in my apartment, but its been a month since I quit smoking inside. I feel like its going to be the hardest thing I’ve ever tried. I feel like its time. This year I have been sick more often than ever before. I’m switching insurance and will pay a lot more if I am a smoker. Instead of relying on God, I rely on cigarettes to calm me and be a source of comfort. Can we keep a thread going for mutual support? I need all the help and prayers I can get. I’m sure you all feel the same. God bless and help us.

[quote=nucatholic]I’ve been thinking about it. I’m just so scared. I’ve been trying to taper off for a while. I used to smoke a lot in my apartment, but its been a month since I quit smoking inside. I feel like its going to be the hardest thing I’ve ever tried. I feel like its time. This year I have been sick more often than ever before. I’m switching insurance and will pay a lot more if I am a smoker. Instead of relying on God, I rely on cigarettes to calm me and be a source of comfort. Can we keep a thread going for mutual support? I need all the help and prayers I can get. I’m sure you all feel the same. God bless and help us.
[/quote]

Absolutely! We need all the support we can get!!

If we are having problems with this, it may be a good idea to post here, just to have a place to vent your feelings. I know on March 1st, I’ll probably be here a lot!

May I join? It has benn 38 days since I’ve quit and you know what they say…once a smoker always a smoker! Actually what finally did it is that the Lord told me to do it (this is simplifying it) but I am under direction and was put under obeidence a couple of months ago. But I continued smoking half the normal amount. I usually smoked about 10 cigarettes a day. Don’t laugh…it is still an addiction to contend with! And after him praying over me a couple of times and offering up my sacrifices for the insults given to Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament, and with the help of patches, I am crawling on my way! I have tried so many times in the past…but this is it. And this, with my daughter smoking and living with us! :eek: Although there is so smoking in the house at all, and must go outside!

Anyhoo, my prayers will be with you all as I go for adoration at 1:00 AM…in 2 hours time. God bless you all…:bowdown:

[quote=Shoshana]May I join? It has benn 38 days since I’ve quit and you know what they say…once a smoker always a smoker! Actually what finally did it is that the Lord told me to do it (this is simplifying it) but I am under direction and was put under obeidence a couple of months ago. But I continued smoking half the normal amount. I usually smoked about 10 cigarettes a day. Don’t laugh…it is still an addiction to contend with! And after him praying over me a couple of times and offering up my sacrifices for the insults given to Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament, and with the help of patches, I am crawling on my way! I have tried so many times in the past…but this is it. And this, with my daughter smoking and living with us! :eek: Although there is so smoking in the house at all, and must go outside!

Anyhoo, my prayers will be with you all as I go for adoration at 1:00 AM…in 2 hours time. God bless you all…:bowdown:
[/quote]

Ok, all…listen up. This thread is going to be an additional source of support for us. We are going to lean on two things to do this…God and each other…in that order. Anybody here can send me a private message if you need support. I know I am going to need it. All are welcome.

Shoshana, you are right in there with us.

LETS DO THIS!!!

Yeh im a pack a day smoker but i dont think im ready to quit yet. I should but.

I am going to give up second hand smoking (which is my real problem). Yes, my way of making all the smokers around me suffer. :rolleyes:

[quote=Montie Claunch]I am going to give up second hand smoking (which is my real problem). Yes, my way of making all the smokers around me suffer. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

:rotfl:

[quote=Tonks40]Absolutely! We need all the support we can get!!

If we are having problems with this, it may be a good idea to post here, just to have a place to vent your feelings. I know on March 1st, I’ll probably be here a lot!
[/quote]

That’s why I started this thread . . . I had cold feet about it and wanted some support and company. . . please, let’s post here and report on progress/ feelings/ etc.

:gopray: prayers go up for brad, mike d, tonks and Mr. tonks, nucatholic, shoshanna, melbourne guy, and me. . . thanksgiving for Gerry and Kathy, and monty for their support. Am I missing anyone?

please pray also for my dh who is not ready to quit now, but knows he ought to. . .

Thank you!
KG

I am so moved by all of you making this enormous sacrifice, we will be praying for you. I prayed for years for my parents to make this change, they both died horrid deaths after much suffering from smoking related cancers. All but two of my brothers and sisters have quit, and the health of those two is wretched. Cannot visit either of their homes since I am asthmatic.

I find it hard to understand that we give all kinds of medical, physical and psychological support to those overcoming other drug addictions, but for tobacco, which is far more addicting that even cocaine, we expect people to slap on a patch and run on will-power. Please see your doctor, let him know what you are doing, and get help with diet, supplements if necessary, help with respiratory problems, short-term meds to help with withdrawal symptoms. Please also add some other daily prayer or spiritual practice to aid you. The story of Matt Talbot, or Getting Free by Bert Ghazzi are two great books on the spiritual assistance needed for such an endeavor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.