Anyone giving up smoking for Lent?

I stopped eighteen years ago. I used to smoke Kool’s what helped me was when I felt like I needed one I sucked on some peppermint candy.

Good luck you will be in my prayers. :gopray2:

I stopped almost 12 years ago, after a 3-pack-a-day habit. I used the patches, and followed the directions exactly. My dad bought me 5 pounds of Bazooka gum from the bulk store, and that helped.

You might feel drowsy/groggy. Sleep when you can. You can do this! :thumbsup:

Some of you might have seen my recent thread about being one year cigarette free. I want you guys to know that I’ll be praying for you to make it through Lent, and then continue, hopefully…quitting is not easy, but it’s also not impossible. You can really do it if you have the desire for it. The more days you put behind you, the more guilty you’ll feel for starting again. Prayer helps, too…maybe grab a single decade rosary to use in the car (that was my worst trigger -driving or riding in the car.) or whenever your worst cravings hit.

Anyway, my best to you guys. I’ll be praying, keep us updated on your progress. :thumbsup:

I just happened to have quit on Feb. 14th. It’s been tough, but I learned one thing. This is my third time quiting. The first time it lasted 4 years. The second time it lasted one month. What I learned is this; Tapering off or using the gum/patch is just keeping yourself additcted to the chemical. It’s easy to kick the chemical addiction. Takes only about 3 days. It’s the psychological addiction that can take over a year to fully kick.

Stay strong everyone. ONLY shear will power and determination will see you through this.

Yesterday, I did somehting so stupid. I slowly backed into my son’s ditch in front of his house. I was so afraid that my husband was going to kill me. I know that he had a temper tantrum according to my daughter. Nothing happened to the car but if someone would’ve been smoking beside I would’ve fallen for one. And me just coming back from a Holy Hour. :eek:

Again, when I slated myself to pray before the Blessed Sacrament between 1-3AM at a monastery about 30 minutes from here, my family taunted me and leered at the fact that the host is not Jesus. :crying: Right now, I have never felt so down! :crying:

I am so lonely, so lonely…:crying:

[quote=Shoshana]Yesterday, I did somehting so stupid. I slowly backed into my son’s ditch in front of his house. I was so afraid that my husband was going to kill me. I know that he had a temper tantrum according to my daughter. Nothing happened to the car but if someone would’ve been smoking beside I would’ve fallen for one. And me just coming back from a Holy Hour. :eek:

Again, when I slated myself to pray before the Blessed Sacrament between 1-3AM at a monastery about 30 minutes from here, my family taunted me and leered at the fact that the host is not Jesus. :crying: Right now, I have never felt so down! :crying:

[/quote]

Search your heart. You know what the truth is, and you are living it. Your family is mistaken about the sacrament, but do not get mad at them. Pray for them. You will find the relief that you seek in praying for others. I promise.

And, while you may feel alone, you are never alone. God is with you always, and so are we.

Take care, don’t smoke. The shepherd never abandons his flock.

God bless all of you who are giving up smoking for Lent.
I will remember to pray for all of you throughout Lent. I know it is very hard - but it is so important. And I hope you can give it up for good after these 40 days.
last November - my 48 year old sister in law was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer. She has been smoking since her teens. She never thought this would happen to her.
We are preparing to say good bye to her as she is not expected to recover. :frowning: I also lost my father to lung disease.
Please quit smoking people! I will pray for you - You can do it!!

[quote=Shoshana] :crying: Right now, I have never felt so down! :crying:

[/quote]

**(((((((((((( **Shoshana ))))))))))))

My throat choked up when I read your families reply to your devotion. May Jesus comfort you… Especially as you sit and comfort Him in His lonliness.

[quote=Shoshana]Yesterday, I did somehting so stupid. I slowly backed into my son’s ditch in front of his house. I was so afraid that my husband was going to kill me. I know that he had a temper tantrum according to my daughter. Nothing happened to the car but if someone would’ve been smoking beside I would’ve fallen for one. And me just coming back from a Holy Hour. :eek:

[/quote]

Hold tight onto Jesus who loves you so very much. . . you will emerge as fire tried gold . . . what a beautiful witness to your family, who will come to understand WHO it is you worship and for Whom you desire to be purified. Praying. . .

Okay,
I am with you and I am going to do it too.
No more excuses. No more tempting myself by buying “just one more pack”. Not that I am a heavy smoker, but you know what they say “One puff is one too many.”

We can do this.
So, this Lent 9for those of you who are going to do it:

IT IS THIS
http://www.eruditiononline.com/reviews/movies/graphics/passion_of_christ.jpg

OR THIS

No, cuz i don’t smoke.

Good idea… I quit for a little while and ways back ( obviously I started again )… what really started the cravings in again was the smell of a smoke from another car while I was sitting at a red light. Blah.

[quote=sadie2723]Point to ponder. I hear that this helps. Clean your house and your car. I am doing both, as I am quitting with you! I hear that by getting the smell out of your life, it makes it easier. Just an idea, but I know I need all the help that I can get!
[/quote]

[quote=kaygee]That’s why I started this thread . . . I had cold feet about it and wanted some support and company. . . please, let’s post here and report on progress/ feelings/ etc.

:gopray: prayers go up for brad, mike d, tonks and Mr. tonks, nucatholic, shoshanna, melbourne guy, and me. . . thanksgiving for Gerry and Kathy, and monty for their support. Am I missing anyone?

please pray also for my dh who is not ready to quit now, but knows he ought to. . .

Thank you!
KG
[/quote]

:bounce: DONT FORGET ME! :smiley: I was a very heavy smoker 1 1/2 packs (25 ciggies in a pack) a day, 1st ciagarette was at 5.30am before I hit the gym lol (disgutsting I know) Jan 17 I quit for 2 1/2 weeks, went to a wedding and had a few, then started having a few (sometimes 3 -4 or half a pack) every weekend now the cravings for one at all times are hard to resist. My father smokes and leaves his ciggies out for me to see and this morning I CAVED IN and had one :crying: I put on LOTS of weight in 3 weeks but my trainer told me how GREAT my heart rate and fitness level was, it was worth it.

I too decided that if I give it up for Jesus I will try alot harder to not smoke at all (hopefully) :cool:

What happens if you break your fast? I am hoping someone will tell me my ears will fall off or eyes will pop out :rolleyes:! Make it so bad so I wont break it :nope:

All you smokers are in my prayers! Think of the plenary indulgence LETS DO IT :thumbsup:

Wow! This thread has been such an inspiration for me already!! Thank you all for your prayers and your advise for all us smokers here. It’s good to know that I’m not alone in this (I used to wonder sometimes if I’m the only one lighting up while on the forum).

Keep your eyes on the Lord!!

[quote=Myangel]:bounce: DONT FORGET ME! :smiley: . . . I too decided that if I give it up for Jesus I will try alot harder to not smoke at all (hopefully) :cool:

What happens if you break your fast? I am hoping someone will tell me my ears will fall off or eyes will pop out :rolleyes:! Make it so bad so I wont break it :nope:
. . . LETS DO IT :thumbsup:
[/quote]

if we break it, we’ll disappoint the ONE who loves us more than we can imagine. . . not to mention disappointing our guardian angels and patron saints. . . all are loving and, if we fall, will forgive us, but do we really want to let them down? oh yeah, and let’s not forget the smokers who are watching us – what a witness for the Catholic faith for us to give up that habit for Jesus.

[quote=kaygee]if we break it, we’ll disappoint the ONE who loves us more than we can imagine. . . not to mention disappointing our guardian angels and patron saints. . . all are loving and, if we fall, will forgive us, but do we really want to let them down? oh yeah, and let’s not forget the smokers who are watching us – what a witness for the Catholic faith for us to give up that habit for Jesus.
[/quote]

Everytime I light up a cigarette I see Jesus’ disappointed face. :frowning: I had a few today at lunch, I want to give it up for Lent so I had a few today :rolleyes: EXCUSES EXCUSES! I need to PRAY PRAY PRAY without my angel, Savious and Heavenly Mother I cannot do it!

I have a feeling I will be on here, in the library or in front of the Tabernacle for a LONG time. Thank you all for all your prayers and I will be sending some up for all of you as well.

D DAY!

Ladies and Gents I had a bad morning :frowning: , I cursed anyone who crossed my path and if looks could kill I would be on death row! :o I dont think I can do this with all of you, I have alot of problems at home at the moment, and PMS and quitting DO NOT GO HAND IN HAND in trying to save my parents marriage. So I will keep you all in my prayers GOOD LUCK! :thumbsup:

[quote=Myangel]D DAY!

Ladies and Gents I had a bad morning :frowning: , I cursed anyone who crossed my path and if looks could kill I would be on death row! :o I dont think I can do this with all of you, I have alot of problems at home at the moment, and PMS and quitting DO NOT GO HAND IN HAND in trying to save my parents marriage. So I will keep you all in my prayers GOOD LUCK! :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Jesus loves you more than you can imagine. Perhaps now is not the time for you. Trust in his grace and mercy and perfect timing. The first time I went to my confessor about quitting, he told me, “now’s not the time.” The next time we spoke about it, he had me abstain at various times. Now, a few years later, he’s given me the go-ahead to go for it, but not to beat myself (and my family and my co-workers) up about it. Do what you need to do when YOU are called to do it and don’t beat yourself up about it. Hey, I’m not even having my last cigarette until before I go to bed tonite, so I will probably be tearing down walls tomorrow. . . and be ready to throttle someone before I even get to 7am Mass. . . pray for me, I’ll pray for you and your parents.

[quote=kaygee]Jesus loves you more than you can imagine. Perhaps now is not the time for you. Trust in his grace and mercy and perfect timing. The first time I went to my confessor about quitting, he told me, “now’s not the time.” The next time we spoke about it, he had me abstain at various times. Now, a few years later, he’s given me the go-ahead to go for it, but not to beat myself (and my family and my co-workers) up about it. Do what you need to do when YOU are called to do it and don’t beat yourself up about it. Hey, I’m not even having my last cigarette until before I go to bed tonite, so I will probably be tearing down walls tomorrow. . . and be ready to throttle someone before I even get to 7am Mass. . . pray for me, I’ll pray for you and your parents.
[/quote]

The sad thing is I did not have one for 2 1/2 weeks and I had to spoil it at a social gathering! :crying: Thank you for your prayers, you are in mine so are all you smokers giving up. Who knows maybe I can try again in May for my Heavenly Mother :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.