Anyone going to buy the new apple tv?

I got rid of my cable this spring because I just wasn't watching it, and I was paying for a lot of junk. I watched ewtn, but since it's available as a live stream, it seemed silly to pay for a cable package just for one channel that I can watch for free online, but I digress.

I think devices like apple tv are the wave of the future in terms of consuming media, at least for a guy like me with picky tastes in film, a pay as you go service like the itunes store makes sense. However, until now the apple tv has been prohibitively expensive for me, but now that it's (only) $100 I thought I could justify it, considering one cable bill is usually that much.

But here's the question, now that it's cheaper and has netflix, will everyone run out and buy one?

I opted to go with a Roku HD and I like this technology very much!

I used to purchase videos on iTunes and stream the videos off my laptop to my TV. I tried downloading a Netflix rental on my laptop streamed to my TV and the picture looked horrible.
So after I read about the Apple TV device being trimmed down to resemble the Roku...I decided to buy a Roku.:p

What I have found is Netflix's selection is "meh" but Amazon has a much bigger selection and more newer releases. So I decided to use both. I will keep my Netflix and watch what I can and someday I may drop it in favor of using Amazon on demand later.

My biggest disappointment is I bought a Roku High Definition box and I do not seem to have the bandwidth even with my Optimum Online cable modem to stream HD rentals.

But its fun. Last night I watched Book of Eli with my dad and it was very uplifting.

I wish I could figure out how to watch internet "channels" like Hulu, but I am still learning how to use it.

[quote="GIR, post:1, topic:212664"]

But here's the question, now that it's cheaper and has netflix, will everyone run out and buy one?

[/quote]

No. There are still too many movies not on Netflix (like 'Song of The South' and 70's TV shows like 'Eight and Enough') and there are, surprisingly, some good shows on MTV lately, like 'If You Really Knew Me' and 'World of Jenks.' I'd rather not help buy Steve Jobs another yacht, thanks.

[quote="GIR, post:1, topic:212664"]
I got rid of my cable this spring because I just wasn't watching it, and I was paying for a lot of junk. I watched ewtn, but since it's available as a live stream, it seemed silly to pay for a cable package just for one channel that I can watch for free online, but I digress.

I think devices like apple tv are the wave of the future in terms of consuming media, at least for a guy like me with picky tastes in film, a pay as you go service like the itunes store makes sense. However, until now the apple tv has been prohibitively expensive for me, but now that it's (only) $100 I thought I could justify it, considering one cable bill is usually that much.

[/quote]

I own the first version of the Apple TV. I bought it to itemize what little I watch on cable TV by discontinuing the cable service and then using this device. Through iTunes, I can buy seasons of TV shows, rent or buy movies at far less per month than cable. Very convenient to rent without forgetting to take back the discs.

Downside: Not as much diversity in viewing. You can get major shows and movies but pay a premium in storage on the central computer (which is why Apple is steering ATV v2 to a streaming-only version). Those who want to be connected to Fox News or CNN will not enjoy it.

ATV v2 will be worth it only if you have good broadband from Comcast/Cox or similar. Streaming takes a lot to be reliable for the type of data Apple will be passing down.

I have an Xbox 360 that does everything the Apple TV does plus it plays games.

We dropped cable years ago (once the kids came of age)
But was wondering if you can stream ewtn using apple tv/roku?
Thx & Blessings,
Andy

Older thread! But! I am a Mac-Head. My IT set up Apple TV for his folks, they LOVE it! Rent , HD movies, buy, TV series, shoot it to your TV and Speaker system! I have not yet made the jump, but I probably will, it is nice!:) One post noted the variety limitations, they have since that post expanded greatly....I think in 6 months Apple has .... 2 times the TV series it did, they tend to offer both HD and standard...so some nice flexibility!:cool::cool::cool:

I have the Roku2 and Apple TV. Roku has Live Streaming of EWTN and AppleTV does not (or maybe I don’t know how to get it on AppleTV) - if someone knows, please share!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.