Anyone had a run in with this group

My fiance’s father is a member of The Great News Netwrok and I was just wondering if anyone had had any run ins with this group. He is the leader of this group in my home town and he is very anti-Catholic, only recently has he started talking to my fiance after he found out she was converting to Catholicism.

I would post the web-site but I think it would get deleted.

God Bless

No, I haven’t but you piqued my interest. Here is their statement of faith. thegreatnews.com/ourfaith.html

It appears to be evangelical protestant.

Shalom~

What part of Christ’s death was “vicarious?”

Nevermind post

They appear to be just another one of the many evangelical groups that are anti Catholic. This should not be a surprise to many that these groups spring up.

I hear often on various “Christian” radio stations speakers who call the Catholic Church the Anti Christ, the Pope the servant of Satan. So surprised at another group doing this, nope.

Hatred of the truth is often disguised in Religion,

I hear often on various “Christian” radio stations speakers who call the Catholic Church the Anti Christ, the Pope the servant of Satan.

Yep he sure does believe the Catholic Church is the anti-Christ. He also believes there are no christians in the Catholic church. He wrote a very hateful email to my fiance once he found out she was converting to Catholicism. It strengthened her resovle, stripped away her false values and allowed her to focus on the truth. He has done more to “convince” her of the truth that is Catholicism than I ever could have.

But he is sending a whole bunch of info on this group via email, even calling her a new recruit :confused: even though she continuelly tells him she is in RCIA and converting. She doesn’t know how to respond.

She doesn’t know how to respond.

This sounds like a nightmare. But your fiance sounds strong and committed. You might have to put her father on your blocked e-mail address list.

About the Great News Network, the website says they are interdenominational. I wonder how soon it will take the “seed sowers” and “bootcampers” who volunteer with them to realize how shallow their message is. They must have to be very careful not to tread on eachother’s theological toes as they convert the unsaved. This group made me think of this article that I read sometime last year on CA:

catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9402fea1.asp

I just don’t see how these interdenominational groups don’t recognize the mass confusion amongst themselves. The only thing that they have in common is a belief in Jesus and anti-Catholicism. Do people really respond to this shallow message? How in the world can they save souls if they don’t all agree with what exactly that entails?

[quote=Roman_Catholic]Yep he sure does believe the Catholic Church is the anti-Christ. He also believes there are no christians in the Catholic church. He wrote a very hateful email to my fiance once he found out she was converting to Catholicism. It strengthened her resovle, stripped away her false values and allowed her to focus on the truth. He has done more to “convince” her of the truth that is Catholicism than I ever could have.

[/quote]

Hey, just wanted to say that things might improve once you and your fiance are married. I will pray for you.

Something similar happened with my cousin. She was culturally Byzantine Catholic, but I wouldn’t say she was really on fire for the Catholic faith. Her fiance had a father who was an elder in an evangelical church that was anti-Catholic. The fiance’s parents liked my cousin until they found out she was Catholic. Then, all the hatred and attacks started. My cousin’s fiance didn’t want to be married in the Catholic church, and my cousin wasn’t going to push him on it. However, due to the rage and hatred and meanness of his parents, he decided to just go ahead and get married in the Catholic church.

The wedding was interesting, one one side of the church was my ethnic Catholic family, and the other side were the anti-Catholic evangelicals. The pastor of this anti-Catholic church even came. They looked rather sullen, to be honest, and I think they expected we were going to sacrifice babies on the altar or something. However, as the beautiful marriage cermony and divine liturgy started, they seemed to deflate. The ceremony was all about Jesus and Scripture, it was **awesome. ** Afterwards, the groom’s parents did start to smile a bit. Prior to the wedding, they had said they would not dance during the bridal dance when the parents and the bridal party come up and dance along with the new bride and groom. But, after the wedding ceremony, they actually did get up to dance. And, in front of the groom’s mother, her employer, a Jewish doctor, raved about the wedding ceremony and how beautiful it was. The Byzantine wedding ceremony draws alot from the Old Testament, so I am sure he could appreciate it!

So, hang in there!!! Peace to you and your fiance’!

"GNN EBC is put on in association with The Way of the Master ministries (Ray Comfort & Kirk Cameron) "

They have an “evangelism bootcamp” and their main associtation appears to be Ray Comfort who published his own Evidence Bible

thegreatnews.com/ebc.html
christiananswers.net/raycomfort/
livingwaters.com/
wayofthemaster.com/

I had heard Ray Comfort speak on WMUZ, and I was not that all impressed with him. He is more of a proof texter then an systematic theologian.

[quote=irena]Hey, just wanted to say that things might improve once you and your fiance are married. I will pray for you.

[/quote]

Hey thanks I appreciate the prayers. We are going to need it. About your comment though, he does not care about our marraige. He told her that I “should marry her and make an honest woman out of her.” What does that even mean :confused:

Eden

She hadnt talked to him for about a year until recently she was tired of this dumb fight. They are on ‘ok’ talking terms, but we both feel he will never stop pressuring her about the Catholic faith. I told her to talk about stuf they agree with and they have great conversations on things they agree on (mainly moral issues) but he always throws his jabs in there against Catholicism, for which she ignores.

I did notice the “interdenominational” stance and they get away from that, I am assuming, by claiming that Catholicism is not a denomination. Since they feel it is not a Christian religion, it is therefore not a denomination to them. Or this is what he would say. I wonder what other denominations are not denominations. I know he had some problems with the Lutheran church because it tries to be too Catholic :confused:

Daniel

Yea he said in his testomy on that web page that he got hooked on the WOTM and he even read it “4 times” :thumbsup: and after reading it he instantly knew this is what God, “was calling him to do.”

Just wanted to let you guys know what I am up against:

WARRIORS!!ARISE!! WARCRY!! THE LORD OUR GOD IS A WARRIOR…THE LORD IS HIS NAME WHO STRENGTHENS OR ARMS FOR BATTLE AND PREPARES OUR FINGERS FOR WAR. BE STRONG IN THE LORD AND IN HIS MIGHTY POWER!!PUT ON THE FULL ARMOR OF GOD.FOR OUR STRUGGLE IS NOT AGAINST FLESH AND BLOOD,BUT AGAINST THE RULERS,AGAINST THE AUTHORITIES,AGAINST THE POWERS OF THIS DARK WORLD AND AGAINST THE SPIRITUAL FORCES OF EVIL IN THE HEAVENLY REALMS…
Praise God for all of you!Our next scheduled outreach as you know is…
St.Patrick’s Day Parade

This email was sent to my Fiance. He forwards all of his, “seed sower” club info to her. He goes on to talk about how there will be an Anit-War rally and how that, “by God’s grace” will put 100,000 - 150,000 into their hands to “save.”

Just wanted to show you guys what me and my fiance are up against…

BTW when he says the, “authorities” he is refering to the RCC. Or atleast this is what he told my fiance.

[quote=Roman_Catholic]Just wanted to let you guys know what I am up against:

This email was sent to my Fiance. He forwards all of his, “seed sower” club info to her. He goes on to talk about how there will be an Anit-War rally and how that, “by God’s grace” will put 100,000 - 150,000 into their hands to “save.”

Just wanted to show you guys what me and my fiance are up against…

BTW when he says the, “authorities” he is refering to the RCC. Or atleast this is what he told my fiance.
[/quote]

Oh boy!

Praise God that your fiance can see through what he is doing. It must be extremely stressful to get that kind of “shouting” e-mail. He definitely has an affinity for the “caps lock” key. It looks like his group is going out to bother people at a St. Patrick’s Day parade next time. :banghead:

Eden

It was a tremendous blow to him that he, a man whose sole focuse is “convining” people of his beliefs, couldn’t even “convince” his own daughter. It’s all a pride thing with him and I am afriad that all we have done is strengthened his hatered of Catholicism 10 fold.

I sometimes wonder how my fiance, a beautiful and wonderful woman, came out of the family she did. It boggles the mind.

God Bless

Ask him to stop sending the info and emails and put his email address on a restricted list. You don’t have to listen to this drivel or read it! Go to your email controls and restrict his emails.

[quote=Roman_Catholic]Eden

It was a tremendous blow to him that he, a man whose sole focuse is “convining” people of his beliefs, couldn’t even “convince” his own daughter. It’s all a pride thing with him and I am afriad that all we have done is strengthened his hatered of Catholicism 10 fold.

I sometimes wonder how my fiance, a beautiful and wonderful woman, came out of the family she did. It boggles the mind.

God Bless
[/quote]

It definitely seems like there is a lot more to this than meets the eye with him. Blessings to you both. Thank heaven you have eachother!

Originally Posted by Roman_Catholic
Eden

God Bless

As it was a devastating blow to James White when his sister Patty Bonds converted to Catholicsm.

Traditonally when Protestants use this type of quoting or prayer, “praying against authorities and powers” it refers to the demonic realm, not the Catholic Church.

[quote=Roman_Catholic]Praise God for all of you!Our next scheduled outreach as you know is…
St.Patrick’s Day Parade
[/quote]

:dancing: Isn’t it the Church that decides who will be a saint? They’re parading for a Catholic! :thumbsup:

I will pray for you both. My family has sent me so much anti-catholic stuff, I quit opening anything that comes in the mail from them. Some of the stuff published is so ridiculous, a child wouldn’t fall for it. For some reason they do :confused:

[quote=thogg85]Traditonally when Protestants use this type of quoting or prayer, “praying against authorities and powers” it refers to the demonic realm, not the Catholic Church.
[/quote]

Apparently this particular man has said that he* is* using it as a euphemism for the Catholic Church though. The OP knows the man because he is his fiance’s father. The man shouting the prayers has made it well known to the OP how he feels about Catholics. I’m sure he fears losing recruits if he makes the anti-Catholic undertones of his mission more blatant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.