Anyone had Invisalign 'invisible braces'?

Opinions? Experiences? Good or bad results?

I should have gotten my teeth and bite fixed as a child but my parents couldn’t afford it. It wasn’t really important to me, my teeth were relatively straight and I just had a very slight overbite, but during my pregnancies with my 3 children my teeth did some major shifting around.

I’m wondering if I should go with the whole process with regular braces or just go with Invisalign, if they are easier and produce comparable results.

They are much more expensive .That’s my main problem with them. Have you gotten a consult for if they are right for the correction you need? .

I had regular braces as a child, one of my front teeth has shifted, so I need braces again. (This is due to not properly wearing the retainer)… Anyways I talked to my dentist about it, and he told me invisaline is an OKAY invention…
He said it is tough for people who need to be infront of people during the day, and people who are forgetful. If you want your teeth to move back fast as well, getting regular braces probably would be the best option, as they are cheaper as well. You can always ask for the clear braces as well, so it does not look like so much metal in your mouth.
I would definitely go for regular braces, which is what I am going to get again (the clear type) when I can afford them!

Yeah, my dentist said braces would do a better job and faster, but would also require a lot of visits and might give me more headaches and headaches are currently something I battle nearly daily. I dread the idea of compounding that, but he also feels I might have some headache relief after straightening things out with my overbite.:shrug:

I had regular braces as a child, one of my front teeth has shifted, so I need braces again. (This is due to not properly wearing the retainer)… Anyways I talked to my dentist about it, and he told me invisaline is an OKAY invention…
He said it is tough for people who need to be infront of people during the day, and people who are forgetful. If you want your teeth to move back fast as well, getting regular braces probably would be the best option, as they are cheaper as well. You can always ask for the clear braces as well, so it does not look like so much metal in your mouth.
I would definitely go for regular braces, which is what I am going to get again (the clear type) when I can afford them!

Oh…forgetful person, right here. Not to mention insanely busy. Hmmm, I’m thinking maybe the old fashioned braces are the way to go now.

I had braces twice and then invisaliners. The orthodontist did the invisaliners for free because having braces twice hadn’t worked (or my teeth moved back even with a retainer) and they had just come out (this was 1999-2000ish). They definitely seemed to be working, but midway through while away at college I stopped wearing them and my teeth shifted back (they look straight, so I’m not sure why it was such a big deal that I kept needing braces!). I guess it came down to the fact that I didn’t want to wear a retainer at night forever and my teeth just don’t seem to want to stay put!

I think this ones really up to you. I liked having the invisaliners that I could take out to eat, but the expense may not be worth it.

I had the opportunity to get these “invisible” braces for my son. Ultimately, I decided against it in favor of the kind that are obvious. In this way, I hope my son comes to learn a lesson about humility.

Yes, the headaches are true. I spent many years wearing braces. They make hygiene difficult and there’s always something wrong with the gums. They are hard on the tongue, too, as in sharp and all, and on one occasion, my tongue actually got caught in an awkward position and it took a while (and some stress) to get it in order. If you can get something no less (or not much less) effective without the problem with pain and hygiene, that’d be great - it’s a decision based on your finances, basically.

If that can make you feel any better, being less able to do your job, or having to pause to deal with pain, or even buying painkillers and special means of hygiene, or say, emergency consultations with dentists, all such factors can have a monetary dimension. In the end, it may prove that the less troublesome solution is less (or not much more) expensive overall.

BTW, as far as regular braces go, it’s possible to do it without much metal. There are ceramic locks and the wiring may well be some transparent hard plastic. The rubbers can be transparent too. Some people go for e.g. metal & green, others may well go for white & transparent. By the way, probably anything that makes your teeth grow in some other way they normally would is going to give you pain.

Not that I’ve never heard of the invisithingies unless I’m mistaken.

Edit: I’ve taken a look at some pictures of “invisible braces” - don’t know if that’s how Invalisign works. It seems the idea is to put the locks on the inside, which I’ve had some experience with because it was necessary in my case (double-sided locks or whatever it was, I don’t remember precisely at this point). As I see it, they could become more of a pain that way - especially if you have a big tongue. With what I’ve just seen, I’d never go for invisible braces, just the normal ones.

And I haven’t noticed people being mean to or put off by people with braces. :wink:

My daughter had Invisaligns when she was in high school and college and she loved them. They did a great job, and they were comfortable.

Of course, she was still young enough that it’s easier for teeth to be re-aligned. I’m not sure how they work with adults who are through all their growing years.

I had Invisalign about 4 years ago (when I was 24ish) and loved them. I had an overbite and lots of space between my front teeth, and was on the cusp of whether I could get invisalign or normal braces. I only had to wear trays on the bottom teeth for about 14 weeks (7 trays, 2 weeks each) and then just wore the last tray as my retainer until the top was done. The top took a lot longer - I think it was 30-something trays. As far as the cost, for me the Invisalign were only a little more expensive than the traditional braces, and since I was just starting out in the work force and already looked several years younger, I didn’t want to add braces to that which would make me look 12. :slight_smile: And I loved being able to take them out when I ate. The best part for me was around the same time, I started a new eating plan (I hate the word diet) so knowing I would have to brush my teeth each time I ate helped tremendously in cutting back on what I ate. :slight_smile: I suppose that is true for the other braces, though, too…

So now, 4 years later, my teeth have pretty much stayed the same. I’m another one of those people who didn’t wear the retainer as much as I was supposed to (which, for invisalign, is just another clear tray that is stronger and more durable). I’m sure if I tried putting the retainer in now, I would see just how much my teeth have shifted - it probably wouldn’t fit!

Good luck!

*Hi shanny :wave:

A coworker of mine had them for about a year…she LOVED them…fixed her teeth…could hardly tell they were there. She really recommends them. I wore regular braces from 4th to 8th grade…and they were so big, bulky, it’s nice to see improvements in the orthodontia world. lol I think you should check out the invisalign…you probably will do well with them. Sadly, my teeth are not as straight as when I had them removed when I was a teen. :frowning: I was lazy and didn’t wear my retainers as much…you might only need a strong retainer come to think of it–have you looked into those? *

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.