Anyone heard of "Terraforming"?

My husband, who is not a Catholic, has been recently interested in a new movement called “Terraforming”. It is run by a husband and wife team by the names of Scott and Shari Norvell. There are a few videos on the site that at first seem interesting as far as surrendering their lives to Christ but as they go on it starts to bother me. This is the address:

terra4ming.com/

And from the home page:

Have you ever wanted to see your region changed for the Kingdom of God? Are you ready to see cancer, mental illness, and hatred defeated? Do you know Jesus as your savior? If so, GOOD NEWS: God has revealed KEYS so His sons and daughters can participate in the restoration of all things. We will liberate creation from the bondage of decay through a deeper understanding of LOVE and FORGIVENESS! Revelation 12 is being fulfilled NOW!!!

I’ll give you one guess that Revelation 12 is NOT about Our Lady and the Keys have nothing to do with St Peter!

Unfortunately my husband is all gung ho about this movement and frankly it’s scaring me. Maybe I’m just overreacting to this but if anyone else has any insight on this to either calm or confirm my fears it would be greatly appreciated:) Thank you and God Bless.

Funny, Terraforming is a term from science fiction to make other planets habitable and Earth (Terra)-like.

I think that the mission they see, of building the Kingdom, is a good one. I’ll have to learn more as time permits.

:eek::eek::eek:

Uh oh. Another prosperity movement! Time to de-program hubby or you are in for a world of trouble…

Yep, that’s what I thought of. I guess they must mean something else. I’ll have to check it out and see what they’re up to. :confused:

It certainly doesn’t sound Catholic from what you said. I haven’t read it, so I can’t say it is evil, but since Catholics have the fullness of faith, sacraments, etc., then why would we want to listen to non-Catholics?

We have so many good books and speakers that write and speak for our Catholic faith.

As a Star Trek fan, I prefer to think of it not as science fiction, but as “science-future”. :slight_smile:

Live long and prosper,
Jon

To end suffering is to become less Christ-like. Gives me the creeps. If he sticks with it, he will not be Catholic for long.

For you sci-fi fans: “Danger, Will Robinson!”

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: …Lovin it!:smiley:

Thank you for your replies everyone. It does kinda sounds sci fi doesn’t it? Anyway my husband has never been Catholic before and doesn’t plan on it anytime soon (although by the grace of God anything is possible!). I think this is another fad (Prayer of Jabez comes to mind) and I pray this one passes as well.

If you watch the first video there are parts that really bug me and that is why I posted this question. I think their hearts are in the right place but the theology and scripture interpretation are another matter.

We will liberate creation from the bondage of decay through a deeper understanding of LOVE and FORGIVENESS

I am not sure what they mean by this. As far as I know, the liberation of creation from the bondage of decay will happen at the end of time as per the Bible.

“I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God; for the creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will but by the will of him who subjected it in hope; because the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay and obtain the glorious liberty of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning in travail together until now; and not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.” (Romans 8:18-23)

When will the redemption of our bodies take place? At the resurrection.

‘Lo! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. For this perishable nature must put on the imperishable, and this mortal nature must put on immortality. When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”’ (1 Cor 15:51-54)

The resurrection will take place on the last day (John 6:40).

On that “day of the Lord”,

“the heavens will be kindled and dissolved, and the elements will melt with fire! But according to his promise we wait for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.” (2 Peter 3:12-13)

Here is their “About” page. Sounds quite bizarre and cultish, IMO. I don’t know what they aim to do, it’s not clear at all from this page.

*About

Terraforming is the process by which the sons and daughters of God liberate creation from the bondage of decay (Romans 8:19-21) and participate in the restoration of all things (Acts 3:21) through the impartation of authority given to us with the fulfillment of the prophesy of Revelation 12. These sons and daughters matured into adulthood as they have been given great responsibility in the Kingdom of God and have risked their lives to ultimately produce all of the fruit we were created to (Matthew 25:14-30). We are willing to do anything in our Father’s will, even if it were to sell all of our belongings, give to the poor, and follow Jesus (Matthew 19:21) if He asked us to. This has brought us to maturity (Ephesians 4:13-16). We do not love our lives so much as to shrink from death (Revelation 12:11). This is the part where the church of Jesus Christ has reached adulthood (woman gives birth to an adult son in Revelation 12:5), and is now responsible enough to receive the keys (Matthew 16:19) to the Kingdom of God, the power of God, and the authority of Christ (Revelation 12:10). From latin, Terra forma is to mean the “transformation of creation” for the Kingdom of God!

The keys of Terraforming allow us to change the atmosphere of earth from one that is hostile to the Kingdom of God to one that is hospitable to the Kingdom of God. They are:

1.) Pursuing the portion of our Father’s will done that He sets aside for us each day (Matthew 6:10-11). This will include revelation, discernment, Truth, freedom, deliverance, healing, provision, and inheritance.

2.) Asking the Lord to shine the Light of Jesus (John 8:12) that reveals the hidden sins (Psalm 90:8) that give satan power over the world (Luke 4:6, Acts 26:18) to bring decay that leads to death (Romans 6:23), and makes us unclean (Lamentations 1:8). This is the same decay that creation is in bondage to (Romans 8:21).

3.) As Royal Priests (1 Peter 2:9), we then liberate creation from decay by forgiving the person that sinned (John 20:23) with the Blood of Jesus (Hebrews 9:22, Leviticus 17:11) and the word of our testimony, thus hurling down the accuser (Revelation 12:10-11). Our testimony is what the Blood of Jesus does for us: we are purified (1 John 1:7), redeemed (Ephesians 1:7) and restored back to God (Ephesians 2:13). The sins are now put to death (Colossians 3:5, 1 Peter 2:24).

4.) Finally, we remove evil with the Authority of Jesus (Luke 10:19), tearing down their strongholds (2 Corinthians 10:4). Because the rights of the evil ones have been stripped, they have no house (Matthew 12:44) to return to (Mark 9:25). We are able to command the evil ones not to eavesdrop on our Kingdom conversations and to require that all schemes of evil are disclosed, all as a fruit of forgiveness (2 Corinthians 2:10-11).

**The analogy is of cleaning a bathtub. The first step is to turn on the Light so we can see what we are cleaning. Next we soak the area with Disinfectant to neutralize the germs and to get the hard, crusty gunk to become moist and unattached to the surface of the tub. Finally, we take our Sponge and easily wipe away the grime, leaving a clean surface.

And this is the known usage of the word, from science fiction (which has a strange tedency to become science FACT over time…).

Terraforming

*Terraforming (literally, “Earth-shaping”) of a planet, moon, or other body is the hypothetical process of deliberately modifying its atmosphere, temperature, surface topography or ecology to be similar to the biosphere of Earth, in order to make it habitable by humans.

The term is sometimes used more generally as a synonym for planetary engineering, although some consider this more general usage an error. The concept of terraforming developed from both science fiction and actual science. The term was coined by Jack Williamson in a science-fiction story (“Collision Orbit”) published during 1942 in Astounding Science Fiction,[1] but the concept may pre-date this work.*

So I wonder how these people imagine they are going to transform the Earth into … the Earth?? I am not liking some of the words they seem to use, and I wonder if this could involve violence in some way…:confused:

Terraforming (“Earth Restoration”) is the liberation of creation from the bondage to decay (Romans 8:19-21) and the participation in the restoration of all things (Acts 3:21) by ordinary people who choose to develop their relationship with God into His maturing sons and daughters (2 Corinthians 6:18). www.terra4ming.com

:confused::confused::confused:

Notice how they are redefining the word to mean something completely different…

Found this interesting page…

NINE REASONS WHY SCOTT NORVELL, of the TERRA FORMING CULT, is a LOONEY DINGBAT and a FALSE TEACHER

Edit: This is an anti-Catholic page, but I do not believe that the Norvells are Catholic. Nor does their Biblical interpretation seem Catholic. I think they are new-age kooks with a sprinkling of Scripture added in to give them credibility. What they say seems nothing but gobbledy-gook to me.

Thank you Julianne…what you said is exactly what I thought! I haven’t read your link yet but thank you for the research.

Please pray for my husband and me. He’s very involved in prayer ministries; in fact he leads one nationwide so he’s definitely not new to Christianity by any stretch of the imagination. There are just a lot of different types of people within the ministry from various Christian (Protestant and one Catholic) backgrounds and some of their influence leaves a lot to be desired.

Just read the article and although I heartily disagree with this man’s idea of the Catholic Church he does get it right that these folks are false teachers.

“Terra-forming” was part of the movie “Star Trek II ~ The Wrath of Khan”. While the system could be use to make a planet more habitable and “Earth like” it could also be used as a weapon. Of course it is the “weapon” part that will frighten most people, as it should. The “terra-forming” functioned by replacing any existing life with new life. The existing life was wiped away.

The system referenced in this thread appears to be a cultish one, designed to make money for its owners.

Borrow the entire Battlestar Galactica DVD series (one at a time of course) from your local library and have your husband watch them. That should fix it.

Actually he is a big “Battlestar Galactica” fan:) The nice thing too is that it’s on Netflix so no need to buy the dvd set.

All joking aside this really wasn’t anything about colonizing the moon or Genesis planet but in regards to a up and coming ministry that has me very concerned. And by the non-sci fi answers I do have reason to be.

:thumbsup: :rotfl:

It seems that this thread attracted all the forum scifi nerds… I for one am slightly disappointed that it just turned out to be a cooky cult :wink:

Is it something like planking? :smiley:

Certainly if every believer were to act upon their beliefs then the entire world would be transformed. This so-called “terraforming” has been happening ever since Pentecost.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.