Anyone here deal w/ mental health issues at home?

My dh was diagnosed ADD a couple of years ago. From what I’ve read, ADD frequently coexists w/ other problems. I’m starting to suspect that dh is paranoid (he admits he’s always been mildly paranoid- I think it’s more than mild at this point). He’s accused me of a couple of things lately that are off the wall. If he honestly believes that his wife of 21 years would do those things, something is wrong. I plan to ask him tonight if he’ll go get help. Anyone else have similar issues? —KCT

Please make sure your husband sees a competent psychiatrist. There are medications that can help. My wife suffers from bipolar disorder and she went through a period in which she was paranoid. You can’t use logical thought with them and it can be quite frustrating. Thank God my wife is fine now, but it took a long time to find the correct medications. I will keep you and your husband in my prayers.

You may also want to ask the intercession of St. Dymphna, the patroness of those suffering from mental illness.

I am very sorry that you are experiencing this.

My ex husband had ADD and a plethora of mental illnesses, addictions, suicidal tendencies, severe depression and severe issues with lying.

Can’t say what caused what or if they are inter-related…but yeah, I’ve dealt with this.

I will keep you and your family close in prayer.

[quote=TomS]Please make sure your husband sees a competent psychiatrist. There are medications that can help. My wife suffers from bipolar disorder and she went through a period in which she was paranoid. You can’t use logical thought with them and it can be quite frustrating. Thank God my wife is fine now, but it took a long time to find the correct medications. I will keep you and your husband in my prayers.

You may also want to ask the intercession of St. Dymphna, the patroness of those suffering from mental illness.
[/quote]

Yes, it is frustrating. Especially since he considers himself a logical engineer. He may be at work, but the minute I bring up something I find frustrating or bothersome, I get the standard, “Oh, so it’s all my fault? I’m always wrong?” In recent years many disagreements end w/ him feeling hopeless - our marriage will never improve etc. I used to chalk it up to his negativity, but compound that w/ some recent accusations, (nothing outlandish - just odd) I’m getting worried. I have a dear friend who is a psychiatric nurse, so I may call her for some support and encouragement this afternoon. —KCT

My husband has ADD as well. We should start a support group for non ADD spouses… I believe the “I’m always wrong” response comes from being behaviour my DH learned as an undiagnosed child. We have only had a diagnosis for about 3 years… feel free to PM me!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.