Anyone here have experience with the Jesus Prayer?

I realize that traditionally it’s an Eastern Orthodox practice, but I know some Catholics do pray it, and I was wondering if anyone here did, and what’s been your experience with it.

The Jesus Prayer is a Catholic practice, not an Eastern Orthodox practice. The Eastern Orthodox only pray the prayer because they received it from us. And we received it from Jesus, in the parable of the sinner and the pharisee.

I do pray the Jesus Prayer myself. It is a powerful prayer and a wonder invocation of God’s Mercy. Every time we turn to God’s Mercy, we give Him glory. It is quite a honor and a privledge!

I learned this prayer when I was Russian Orthodox. I still say it. I had never heard the prayer before I became Orthodox.

:heaven: :harp:

It is a beautiful prayer that I pray. Just like with the Orthodox, it is a large part of the Byzantine Catholic spirituality. So you shouldn’t feel like it is exclusive to the Orthodox and forbidden.

This is nonsense. The prayer is part of the Greek tradition (and the Syriac to a degree), not the Latin west. You can claim what ever you want but it doesn’t make it true. It is like if the protestants would claim that the bible is theirs and the Catholics got it from them. Protestants can claim it if they want but it doesn’t make it true.

Is this the Jesus Prayer?

“Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.”

Yes, it is.

I also learned the Jesus Prayer when I was in the Orthodox Church (Serbian Orthodox, in my case). One uses a prayer rope (also called a chotki or komboskini) to count the prayers, rather like a rosary. The prayer rope usually has 33, 50 or 100 knots. Usually the prayer rope is made out of wool yarn or silk thread and knotted in a special way (so that the Devil cannot unknot it), although sometimes (usually among Eastern Catholics) it is made with beads. In wool or silk prayer ropes, the cross often has a tassel at the end to catch the tears of the penitent.

As for experiences during the Jesus Prayer, I remember that two years ago, while I was on retreat, I was praying the Jesus Prayer with the help of my prayer rope when I heard a voice say, “I care for you more than you care for yourself.” This impressed me quite a bit, and I wrote it down so that I would remember it. If it was Jesus Who spoke to me – as I suspect – it was the first and only time He has done so so explicitly.

Ah ok. Thank you. I like to say that prayer whenever I commit a sin. :slight_smile:

I prefer -
“Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me a sinner.”

I’ve tried a variant - a prayer that came to my mind as I prepared for Eucharist. I almost always recite this prayer before receiving Eucharist and often at other times as well:

Lord Jesus, Son of God,
empty me of all darkness,
and fill me with your Life and Light and Life.

Has anyone tried praying it all the time, like in Way of the Pilgrim? That’s what I’m most curious about.

That’s awesome.

This prayer isn’t just for the Orthodox :slight_smile: many Eastern Catholics pray it as well. And some Latin rite Catholics. It’s traditionally an Eastern practice, though the prayer itself is from the Bible.

I say this prayer sometimes, I find it humbling. However, I don’t repeat it many times. I usually just say it once or a couple of times.

God bless

I pray it with a traditional woolen prayer rope. The one I use is 100 knots. I also have a 33 knot “bracelet” I often wear and pray on. Both came from sisters in monasteries in the US who gain income from making and selling them. Even though I don’t know the sisters personally this adds to my prayer. I feel a deep connection to the sisters who tied all these knots, a very time consuming process, and to their own prayer life.

Theosis, CD of the Choir of Annunciation Byzantine Catholic Church has a sung version I like to use also. You can hear it here: byzantinecatholic.com/music.htm# Go to " Click here to listen to Theosis". Skip to the second track, “Jesus Prayer”

This is a nice piece on praying the Prayer: svots.edu/Faculty/Albert-Rossi/Articles/Saying-the-Jesus-Prayer.html “Every prayer is an act of love, made to the Author of Love, Who is waiting expectantly for our desire, and our acceptance of His Love.” Amen!

The Jesus prayer saved my life.

Well, of course it’s not just for the Orthodox. :wink: I left the Orthodox church and still pray this prayer. I know protestants who pray this prayer.

Same here. I never heard it until I became Eastern Orthodox. Now I still use it all the time. Another concept that Orthodoxy gave me is “memory eternal”. I will always be grateful to Orthodoxy for these.

Indeed!

As for experiences during the Jesus Prayer, I remember that two years ago, while I was on retreat, I was praying the Jesus Prayer with the help of my prayer rope when I heard a voice say, “I care for you more than you care for yourself.” This impressed me quite a bit, and I wrote it down so that I would remember it. If it was Jesus Who spoke to me – as I suspect – it was the first and only time He has done so so explicitly.

If you read the Philokalia, the Fathers teach that such things should be ignored, especially in the beginning of practicing this Prayer.

I do. I have an Orthodox prayer rope. In fact it is on my wrist right now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.