Anyone here love trains? :D

Not sure if this belongs in the "Popular Media" section :p but are there any railfans/train lovers/ferroequinologists/railroad engineers/etc. on this forum? If so, please feel free to mention anything about trains that draws you to them :)

Case in point, I've been into them ever since I was about 3 and at 21 I've yet to get tired of them ;) I can't say I have A favorite train/railroad, but here are some favs of mine: the Acela Express, the T (Boston), Iarnrod Eireann (Ireland), South West Trains, GNER (UK) just to name a few. If I could describe my model train collection... well... let's just say it's quite huge :p

I am quite partial to the former New Haven railroad myself! Also, Metro North, Grand Central Terminal, and the New York subway.

I'm not a fan the same way you are--I don't know anything about trains. But, I sure do want to ride this one! durangotrain.com/ride-us/presidential-class Bet it would beat to heck the one time I rode the El in Chicago! :)

I'd have loved the Orient Express, I'm sure!

[quote="runningdude, post:2, topic:268974"]
I am quite partial to the former New Haven railroad myself! Also, Metro North, Grand Central Terminal, and the New York subway.

[/quote]

Excellent selections there :thumbsup: The NH was, without a doubt, one of the most interesting RRs anywhere. Not to mention they had many "firsts" under their belt technology-wise :cool: It's nice to see the Metro-North and Shore Line East trains wearing the "McGuinnis" colors even after all these years. And I live right down the street from the New Haven Line so I see plenty :D

YES!

[quote="Phaedra777, post:3, topic:268974"]
I'm not a fan the same way you are--I don't know anything about trains. But, I sure do want to ride this one! durangotrain.com/ride-us/presidential-class Bet it would beat to heck the one time I rode the El in Chicago! :)

I'd have loved the Orient Express, I'm sure!

[/quote]

I've heard of/seen videos of the Durango route and it does indeed look quite impressive :cool:

I myself have been on the El a few times and I have to admit it is a bit of a rough ride :p
The original Orient Express stopped running only about 2 years ago, but there's a charter/excursion version that still runs. Doesn't look too shabby at all :) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice-Simplon_Orient_Express

As a father of a toddler, we do have a lot of Thomas the Tank Engine :D

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:7, topic:268974"]
As a father of a toddler, we do have a lot of Thomas the Tank Engine :D

[/quote]

One of the best shows ever made (especially the ones with Ringo as Mr. Conductor) :)

[quote="Monte_RCMS, post:5, topic:268974"]
YES!

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Love them. Here in Brrrmont we have two Amtrak Routes, the Ethan Allen and the Vermonter, both fine. Also like the Lake Shore Limited, the Crescent though I haven't made it as far as New Orleans (yet), also the Sunset Limited and the Texas Eagle. Nothing is more fun than knitting one's way across Texas and seeing some of the most incredible country EVER. Or seeing how much of the Missouri hills could almost be in Vermont except that the soil is reddish instead of dusty brown. . .

[quote="Tantum_ergo, post:10, topic:268974"]
Love them. Here in Brrrmont we have two Amtrak Routes, the Ethan Allen and the Vermonter, both fine. Also like the Lake Shore Limited, the Crescent though I haven't made it as far as New Orleans (yet), also the Sunset Limited and the Texas Eagle. Nothing is more fun than knitting one's way across Texas and seeing some of the most incredible country EVER. Or seeing how much of the Missouri hills could almost be in Vermont except that the soil is reddish instead of dusty brown. . .

[/quote]

Nice to hear someone not bash Amtrak for a change :p Great roster of routes there too :) Haven't been on the Vermonter or the Ethan Allen, but I have taken the Adirondack and loved it!

does Polar Express count? :popcorn:

[quote="E_7, post:12, topic:268974"]
does Polar Express count? :popcorn:

[/quote]

Absolutely! :) I myself love the book and the movie, especially when the conductor says, "One thing about trains: It doesn't matter where they're going. What matters is deciding to get on." :thumbsup:

Do train enthusiasts really make camcorder videos of trains like in that movie "The Station Agent"? I have always wondered if that really goes on or if it was a scene written only for that movie.

[quote="havana1, post:14, topic:268974"]
Do train enthusiasts really make camcorder videos of trains like in that movie "The Station Agent"? I have always wondered if that really goes on or if it was a scene written only for that movie.

[/quote]

Never heard of this movie before now, but guess what I just asked for on my upcoming birthday :D

[quote="runningdude, post:15, topic:268974"]
Never heard of this movie before now, but guess what I just asked for on my upcoming birthday :D

[/quote]

Someone YouTube'd several scenes. Awesome. Essential movie for anyone who likes trains.

[quote="havana1, post:14, topic:268974"]

[/quote]

This is a great movie! It isn't just about trains, but trains and references to them there are aplenty (in particular the New York, Susquehanna & Western RR). And yup train enthusiasts take videos, pictures, you name it. :D

[quote="iHeartThe60s, post:13, topic:268974"]
Absolutely! :) I myself love the book and the movie, especially when the conductor says, "One thing about trains: It doesn't matter where they're going. What matters is deciding to get on." :thumbsup:

[/quote]

That is very true! My part is when the conductor says "Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see."

oh this part "Considering we’ve lost communications with the engineer, we are standing totally exposed on the front of the locomotive, the train appears to be accelerating uncontrollably, and we are rapidly approaching Glacier Gulch which happens to be the steepest downhill grade in the world, I suggest we all hold on tightly." was too funny :D
haha

[quote="E_7, post:18, topic:268974"]
That is very true! My part is when the conductor says "Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see."

oh this part "Considering we’ve lost communications with the engineer, we are standing totally exposed on the front of the locomotive, the train appears to be accelerating uncontrollably, and we are rapidly approaching Glacier Gulch which happens to be the steepest downhill grade in the world, I suggest we all hold on tightly." was too funny :D
haha

[/quote]

Probably not for those seeing it in IMAX who may have felt a bit dizzy afterwards lol :p But yes that was definitely one of the highlights of the movie :D

[quote="iHeartThe60s, post:19, topic:268974"]
Probably not for those seeing it in IMAX who may have felt a bit dizzy afterwards lol :p But yes that was definitely one of the highlights of the movie :D

[/quote]

:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.