Anyone here reject Vatican II?

For what reasons? And does that mean you recognize no post-conciliar pope?

Why are some people so against Vatican 2?

I think there used to be a few Sedes here… I havent seen any of them post in awhile, though.

And do they normally reject modern Catholics or do they accept them as brothers of the same church?

It honestly depends.

I’ve encountered a Sede (not on this site) who always claimed that Catholics who accept VII aren’t true Catholics. Basically, this individual believed that only Sedes were true Catholics. It sounded more like Gnosticism than Christianity to me.

Gnosticism? Why?

Because this individual was claiming that only the Sedes had the truth. “Everyone else is deceived,” he’d say.
In Gnosticism, only a select few have been revealed the truth.

For me it’s complicated. I have run into many like me, whose parents either left the post V2 church when they were younger or either they up and left as teens/young adults. I was surprised my good Christian friends were almost all exclusively ex-Catholics.

I have come to reject the post V2 church because it is those inside it now that rejected me. By labelling me a ‘traditionalist’ simply because that was when I was formed as a Catholic and how I was raised. I did not leave the church, as my parents would say, it left us stranded with no where to go.

I am not a sede. I do believe the chair of Peter exists, currently occupied by a usurper :b we have Pope Benedict xvi

What’s so bad about being called a traditionalist? If I may ask.

Why is Francis a usurper?

What do you mean by “stranded with no where to go.”?

Depends on who you ask. Some say it’s an unnecessary and divisive label. Some mistake them for “rad trads”: the sedevacantists and such.

I like the label, I didn’t know it’s used derogatorily. Learned the hard way.

Even my protestant friends ask me why we have two popes. It’s obvious to the non-Catholic world we have an irregular situation with two living popes.

Didn’t Benedict XVI abdicate?

There are theories that he was forced to resign.

My parents stopped taking us to church when the post v2 changes happened. They even moved away across country. We never set foot in a church as a family again. Pretty hard on a kid who was baptized and received FHC. You can imagine my confusion when I did go back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. I was not expecting what I saw.

"Dear Brothers,

"I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry.  I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the barque of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.

"Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects.  And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer."

From the Vatican, 10 February 2013

BENEDICTUS PP XVI

What did you see?

I was there before and after Vatican II.

So you stopped going to church? Not even EF mass?

It did not exist back then.

Really? It simply abandoned all forms of Latin Mass? That’s extreme. So I take now you only go to EF mass right? Tus padres se debieron quedar destrozados con el cambio :pensive:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.