Anyone housing?

I've gotten to the point where I need "my own space." However, I have no job, no driver's license, or car. I want to use my time to help others, and am willing to do anything which is asked of me. I am interested in finding a true Catholic charity organization, which can put people up for a certain amount of time (6 months-1 year is the best amount, I believe). I'm living in the Atlanta Archdiocese. Any help in this is most appreciated. Thanks, and God bless! :)

I don't know of a Catholic charity organization that provides this kind of service. I did a bit of research and the only thing that I see is housing counseling but that doesn't fit the bill. But I would recommend contacting your local parish. I know a guy who was in your situation years ago and he was able to find a temporary place to stay thanks to his priest.

archatl.com/

catholiccharitiesatlanta.org/services/

God bless! I will be praying for you.

i don't follow what your asking?why can't you help others where you are at? why would a charity give you a place for free,when places they have are for people without a place to live.:confused:

[quote="april32010, post:3, topic:293483"]
i don't follow what your asking?why can't you help others where you are at? why would a charity give you a place for free,when places they have are for people without a place to live.:confused:

[/quote]

If it were Catholic through and through, I'd be referring to a service like this:

opendoorcommunity.org/

[quote="SoldierOfGod, post:1, topic:293483"]
I've gotten to the point where I need "my own space." However, I have no job, no driver's license, or car. I want to use my time to help others, and am willing to do anything which is asked of me. I am interested in finding a true Catholic charity organization, which can put people up for a certain amount of time (6 months-1 year is the best amount, I believe). I'm living in the Atlanta Archdiocese. Any help in this is most appreciated. Thanks, and God bless! :)

[/quote]

So, you are tired of living with your parents. Want to move out. You have no job and no transportation.

My suggestion? Use your time to help yourself. Then, when you are standing on your own two feet, then use your time to help others.

[quote="maryjk, post:5, topic:293483"]
My suggestion? Use your time to help yourself. Then, when you are standing on your own two feet, then use your time to help others.

[/quote]

I agree with this person, but I would have to add, are you considering the religious life?

[quote="maryjk, post:5, topic:293483"]
So, you are tired of living with your parents. Want to move out. You have no job and no transportation.

[/quote]

I'll be keeping that in mind. Thanks! :)

[quote="sllhouette, post:6, topic:293483"]
I agree with this person, but I would have to add, are you considering the religious life?

[/quote]

I did just return from a religious discernment retreat on the 22nd, so I am trying to best discern which way to go when I am ready to step out on my own. Fr. Brett A. Brannen's "To Save a Thousand Souls: A Guide for Discerning a Vocation to Diocesan Priesthood" is going to help tremendously, I believe. I got a free copy of it upon arrival at the camp site, and I am going to begin reading it tomorrow.

[quote="SoldierOfGod, post:7, topic:293483"]
I did just return from a religious discernment retreat on the 22nd, so I am trying to best discern which way to go when I am ready to step out on my own. Fr. Brett A. Brannen's "To Save a Thousand Souls: A Guide for Discerning a Vocation to Diocesan Priesthood" is going to help tremendously, I believe. I got a free copy of it upon arrival at the camp site, and I am going to begin reading it tomorrow.

[/quote]

I would suggest "Religious Vocation: An Unnecessary Mystery". I found it useful.

It does sound like you need to get some things together. If you just want to leave home because you're not getting along with your folks, no org will accept you. However, I don't know if there are organizations that will take anyone that is a minor or even if you have to be 21 or something. There are Catholic orgs which are sort of the little leagues of the Peace Corps., that require a one year committment or so. Those require a recommendation or two though. They need a lot of help in exchange for room and board and some of them even give a small stipend. You would be working hard helping in whatever endevour they have. check out a place like this catholicvolunteernetwork.org/ and google catholic vounteer after that if you cant find nothing there.

I was once told we are only limited by our own lack of imagination. Keep seeking your answer. Meanwhile, find a charitable group at your church, or find one to volunteer or work part-time for. Housing costs money. I would keep living at home, but spend less time there and more time volunteering.

[quote="SoldierOfGod, post:1, topic:293483"]

[/quote]

I would suggest that you consider long-term volunteer work. There are several programs attached to AmeriCorps (including Catholic charities) that you could look into. One such search engine for Catholic volunteers is Catholic Volunteer Network (CVN). The other is the Pallotti Center. Most require a commitment of a year but, in exchange, some of the programs give you free room and board and a small stipend. It's a great way to get exposure to life as an independent adult. Also, if you choose one that is connected to AmeriCorps, you can get a scholarship over $4,000 to use on either student loans or future education.

catholicvolunteernetwork.org/search-program

pallotticenter.org/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.