Anyone know anything about the FSSP?

Where did you get the impression that priests like what you’ve described are a large percentage of the diocesan priesthood?

I’ve experienced it firsthand. The church is suffering from modernism on a wide scale. Recently, a good priest tried to give a homily this Sunday that was meh but also incorrect. It’s not his fault. It’s the fault of bad seminaries. Our seminaries today aren’t fixed but recovering

Commentor

On the contrary, the fact that the SSPX like FSSP has distanced itself from many of the diocesan novelties means precisely it has been able to maintain the true sense of the Catholic faith.

Bp. Athanasius Schneider has point that out in an interview not so long ago:

http://www.catholicapologetics.info/apologetics/defense/schneider.htm

" **What, if some novel contagion seek to infect not merely an insignificant portion of the Church, but the whole? Then it will be his care to cleave to antiquity, which at this day cannot possibly be seduced by any fraud of novelty." - St. Vincent of Lerins.

I’ve been to an FSSP parish for Mass before; it was great! The Fraternity is really booming and they seem to have a lot of great guys.

I’d suggest learning more about the Traditional Latin Mass and getting more involved in it before committing yourself to joining an order which celebrates the Latin Mass exclusively. And also, just because there are some parishes which don’t celebrate Mass in the most traditional way or have “watered-down” liturgies doesn’t mean there aren’t lots of good, reverent OF parishes and priests. We have a lot of good, holy, traditional guys here in the seminary who want to celebrate the Liturgy reverently and will no doubt be very inspiring for their parish communities.

Anyway, best of luck with your discernment.

Also, let’s not turn this into another SSPX thread. That’s not what the OP is asking about.

js1717,

What you are repeating just isn’t true, as it isn’t what the Church has said. For the truth on the Matter Cardinal Castrillon has pointed out the SSPX did not commit a Schismatic act.

Js1717,

The Church is going through a crisis, the sooner we can acknowledge that the sooner a real remedy to the poison modernism which is eating it can be applied.

First of all, I am very glad to hear that you are discerning a vocation to the priesthood! I too am a high school student discerning a vocation, and I love tradition/the TLM as well! To answer your question, as many people have already said- yes, the FSSP is in full communion with Rome. If you live in an area where they have a parish within your diocese feel free to try and reach out to them personally. You said that you do not attend the Latin Mass regularly, but I think that if you are strongly considering a vocation to the Fraternity it would be a great idea to start going as often as you can, and to also study/research the Latin Mass to understand it further. Even if you can’t go, there are TONS of videos on Youtube that will help guide your understanding.

But honestly, consider becoming a diocesan priest too. Remember, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, under Summorum Pontificum gave ALL priests the right to say the TLM without permission from their bishop, so you can still learn AND celebrate it as a diocesan priest (many diocesan priests say the TLM!). We really need more traditional young men who are willing to spearhead change in the mainstream church (the mainstream church being those who are not as accustomed to tradition/attend the ordinary form more regularly). As much as I love the FSSP and other TLM orders/societies of apostolic life, I don’t think the mainstream church will go anywhere if all our traditional young men just join the FSSP/TLM orders. In order to attract more young people in the mainstream church to tradition, we NEED more traditional young men in diocesan positions in order to influence the church to make the changes it so greatly needs nowadays.

I wish you luck in discerning your vocation and I’ll keep you in my prayers- please pray for me as well!

And also, many diocesan seminaries are starting to teach their seminarians the Extraordinary Form, or at least offering it as an elective.

You’ve answered a question I’ve been struggling with for a while! Thank you for commenting on this lol God bless!

This depends on whether the FSSP is at a Parish or at a chapel. The FSSP Parish near me can do baptisms and marriages because the FSSP is a PARISH and the priest is a Pastor.

The faculties for Baptisms and Marrages are typically given to pastors… who can give them to his assistants.

But if the FSSP Church is a chapel, then there is no pastor, only a chaplain / rector. So they are typically not granted facilities because Parish priests (pastors) are usually the only ones who are granted faculties for marriage and baptism (Deacons and assistant pastors share or borrow the pastor’s faculties).

I hope I’m making sense.

(NOTE: I’m not sure if I have this 100% correct from Canon Law, but I you should get the general idea)

Yes, this depends on the Diocese and the seminaries they attend. Some Seminaries are really awesome

Cool!!! Do you know which ones? Or have a few examples?

In addition to the FSSP, there is Canons Regular of St. John Cantius.

The Canons Regular of St. John Cantius focus on beauty and celebrate BOTH the Extraordinary Form and a very traditional Ordinary Form (with Latin).

To me, the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius are exactly what Diocesan Parishes & Priests should be like.

They are a newer order founded by the late Cardinal George of Chicago. They need more young men so they can establish houses in new Dioceses.

You can learn more about them here: https://www.canons-regular.org

OP, you don’t know very much at all about the FSSP if you don’t even know if they are in communion with the Church. There is a fair amount online about them. I am sure that you could visit their seminary in Nebraska or, at least, one of their parishes.

I’m an adult convert, but, I’ve been Catholic longer than you have been alive. I’ve traveled this nation and around the world. Never, not once, have I see a parish without a tabernacle. Kneelers are a modern innovation, you will not find a kneeler in many of the amazing Churches of Europe, I did not see any (outside of the confessional kneelers) in St Peter’s.

My advice is to stop watching/reading much of the “outrage” stirring internet and focus more on humility, prayer, sacrifice, love.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: I love the TLM, but a parish with no tabernacle nor kneeler? There are plenty that don’t have altar rails, sure, but I’ve never seen a parish without kneelers and especially one without a tabernacle (though some parishes put them in weird places)! I’m pretty sure that a parish without a tabernacle is in violation of a major rule, though I’m not sure which one or where it might be. I’m not sure a Catholic Church without a tabernacle is part of a “classic” American parish.

Mt. St. Mary’s in Cincinnati does for sure. I think the Pontifical College Josephenum in Columbus and Sacred Heart seminary in Detroit also offer it. I’m not as familiar with seminaries on the east and west coast, however.

I think a lot of the churches in Europe don’t have pews either, do they?

I haven’t been to Europe, but I have visited the St. John the Divine Episcopalian Cathedral in New York- where they are looking to duplicate the construction of the European cathedrals of the middle ages.

They have removable chairs only in the nave.

Pews are a recent innovation in the church buildings from the 16th century when the sermon became the most important part of service and a lot longer than it used to be. Thank the protestants who brought the pews into the church buildings! The Orthodox and most of the Eastern Catholic still stand for the entire liturgy. Western used to as well.

I haven’t been able to find out when kneelers were included in the Western Catholic church buildings but it seems like it is fairly “recent”. If there are no kneelers then why not do penance on the floor kneeling as a lot of Catholics have done for centuries before you were born.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.