Anyone read any good thriller books lately?

I am looking for recommendations for a good thriller. Anyone?

Here are the books I think of as thrillers, not sure if you would or not.

I enjoy reading Harlen Coben books. Tell No One and The Woods are very good and keep you guessing up until the end. David Baldacci writes great political thrillers. Also the Bourne books by Robert Ludlum are good (very different from the movie versions).

Hope these suggestions help.
Happy Reading
:slight_smile:

Duma Key by Stephen King

Thanks, I have not read any Coben books. It seems he has a series of Myron Bolitar books, have you read any in that series by Coben?

He writes well-paced books that are not too demanding but hard to put down - as do people like Lee Child, Robert Crais, John Sandford (the ‘Prey’ series) and Michael Connelly. One of the true masters of that art that, I’d suggest, would be Jeffery Deaver.

The crime/thriller genre has to be ‘absorbing’ to sell but there’s generally a price to be paid between complexity and pace.

The Devil’s Punchbowl by Greg Iles is exciting, but very violent. I also enjoyed The Scarecrow by Michael Connolly.

I haven’t read that Coben series, but if they are half as good as his other books, they should be great. Let us know what you decide to read.

The Bolitar series is good. However, it’s important to read them in order since later books refer to and rely on previous books. The later books have mini-spoilers to the previous books.

I got into reading James Patterson’s Alex Cross books, but they can be rather disturbing. I’ve really enjoyed his Det. Michael Bennett series (“Step On A Crack” and “Run For Your Life”.) You might try those.

Good books for making interminable journeys verge on the enjoyable!

Any book by Vince Flynn. Enough said. :cool:

Ok, I picked up “The Woods” at the library. I will give it a try. I picked up a Larry McMurtry western as a backup.

Thanks,
Jon

All of Lee Childs “Jack Reacher” books.

Ok, which book would be a good Flynn book to start with?

Jon

They really are excellent page-turners, you just don’t want to put them down.

I found Tripwire (the WTC one) eerie to read, though.

The villain in Tripwire was the worst! my favorite is “Echo Burning”

You know, I just can’t choose a favorite - they’ve all had such strong story lines and are so well written.

If you are going to follow the series, “Term Limits” is the first one chronologically. It is possible to read any of his without having read previous books, but there may appear to be a lack of character development. It also helps to be familiar with current events, politics, and covert warfare.

My wife has collected several of his over the years, and I’m just getting started myself.

I’ve always loved Karin Slaughter - she has this Grant County series that’s highly addictive. Just started getting into Lisa Gardner as well. Coben is also great, and I loved Dennis Lehane. Thanks for the other recommendations - I was just thinking I need a new book for the cold wintery weekend!

From Dean Koontz:

One Door Away From Heaven

False Memory

The Odd Thomas series

The Darkest Evening of the Year

(Anything written after Watchers, really)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.