Anyone remember local TV shows?

Local TV seems to be a thing of the past, save for the local news. It’s apparently fallen victim to cost cutting.

But it wasn’t always that way. There were cartoon shows for kids with local hosts in my area like Captain Chesapeake (“Ahoy, crew members!”) and Captain 20 (“May you be happy and win lots of prizes!”). Other kidvid included “Professor Kool’s Fun Skool” (the guy who played Professor Kool often performed for our Cub Scout troop) and local versions of “Bozo” and “Romper Room.”

The evenings featured “Bowling for Dollars,” which was originally “Duckpins and Dollars”; the kids’ version known as “Pinbusters”; local game shows like “High Stakes” and “The Greater Baltimore Baffle”; the local debate forum, “Square Off”; and “The Maryland State Lottery Show,” once lotteries became legal.

Late at night, you could get frightened by Count Gore deVol’s “Creature Feature” or by your Ghost Host (played by the same guy who was Captain Chesapeake). In fact, many of the movies that were shown throughout the day were hosted by someone, such as one broadcaster who was also a lector at a church not too far from me.

The mornings gave us “Dialing for Dollars,” in which the calls to viewers who could recite the account and the amount were interspersed around some public affairs guest(s).

That game was worked into a local talk show called “People are Talking,” which had two hosts, one male and one female. The guy is still with the same local station. The woman got into hot water for asking chicken magnate Frank Perdue whether he thought he looked like a chicken. She was then banished to the audience, where she would get their reactions to the guests on the show.

And that’s how Oprah Winfrey got started.

One local show that has survived: “It’s Academic,” the high school quiz competition I was an alternate for my school. And cable outlets may still have locally produced content, as might your local public channel.

What were the local TV shows that you remember? How did they capture the flavor of your area?

Heck, I remember local radio shows. And local DJ’s who selected their own playlists. And played a commercial every 15 minutes.

You? So need a consultant (a.k.a. a program director who got fired). :smiley:

I remember The Buckshot Show in Calgary, which was kind of a talk show for kids. It was hosted by a cowboy (Buckshot) and a teddy bear puppet (Benny the Bear), and they would bring in local celebreties such as the chief of police, etc., and talk about playground safety, road safety, fire prevention, and related issues - sometimes they would also do “virtual tours” of various businesses around Calgary, such as Olivier’s Chocolate Factory in Inglewood, or News from the Zoo if there was a newborn zoo animal.

At the end of every show (it was a half-hour show), they would announce birthdays - you could write in and tell them when your birthday is, and then on your birthday, they would announce your birthday and sing “Happy Birthday” to you, and then after the birthday announcements, they would do a five minute cartoon - usually Caspar the Friendly Ghost, or something like that.

It always came on at lunch time - from 12:10 to 12:40, so that kids could be home from school at lunch time to watch it - and now that I have totally dated myself, when is the last time you met a kid who lived within 10 minutes dawdling distance from his school, let along enough of them to support a TV show? :shrug:

In the 60’s I was a kid growing up on Long Island with great TV shows for kids: Sandy Becker, The Merry Mailman, Officer Joe Bolton and the Three Stooges, Captain Jack McCarthy and Popeye, Wonderama, and Soupy Sales (my best friend and I would travel to NYC to watch his show being taped).
As a teenager, I’d travel to Newark, New Jersey, to be on Zacherley’s “Disco-Teen”, a dance show. Zacherley was the “Cool Ghoul” host. He was a lovely, gracious gentleman who would drive my brother and me back to NYC so we wouldn’t have to ride a bus.

Golden days, my friends. Great memories.

When I was a kid growing up in Phoenix, AZ, I remember Wallace and Ladmo. This was back in the '80s. The big thing I remember was that they gave away big brown bag full of goodies. I actually won one when I was eight. I was so syched but my mother wouldn’t let me have anything in it (that’s a whole other thread). The show featured guests, just don’t remember who. Also had puppets. Then it went off the air, in 1989. Then Ladmo died.

There were probably other shows I watched but that’s the only one I can remember.

Explore Elizabeth Bonneau

The Ladmo bag:
Explore Elizabeth Bonneau

Local TV shows were an important part of a community. Bozo, Soupy Sales, Rita Bell’s Prize Movie, George Perroit (travel films from around the world), Bill Kennedy (movie host), Lou Gordon (politics and issues of the day) and others, engaged children and adults in quality, wholesome and fun entertainment. The exact opposite of a lot of what’s on TV today.

Local communities had local identities but now they can only usually be found in local papers and by actually going to the community in question.

It’s a real loss to see television that cannot be watched by the entire family and focuses on people who are dysfunctional.

God bless,
Ed

Pittsburgh had Chilly Billy Cardile and Scream Theater. Pittsburgh also had Paul Shannon from WTAE-4 who brought back the Three Stooges from obscurity.

Captain Chesapeake was Captain Pitt on Channel 22 in Pittsburgh before his show was picked up in Baltimore.

Cleveland had Super Host, who hosted Three Stooges shorts and rather bad monster movies on Saturday afternoons.
Cleveland also had Big Chuck and Little John, who had silly skits intertwined with (rather bad) monster movies on Friday nights.

Cities with a Group W - Westinghouse TV station had an Evening Magazine or PM Magazine show.

These all went away a long time ago. Now it’s one size fits all.

I used to watch Nashville stations when I was a kid and it was on some of the local shows that I discovered The Three Stooges and W.C. Fields. One of the Nashville stations had a movie afternoon called The Big Show and it was there that I discovered the wonderfullness that is 1950’s cheesy horror movies.

It was Uncle Al and Capt’n Wendy on Cincinatti TV that I remember :smiley: There was an afternoon local music show when we moved to Mo called “Melody Matinee”, we had “Bowling for Stamps” - ahhhh good times!

Wow how well I remember those Rita Bell movies and the four o’clock movies during lent how they would all have to do with Christ. I remember being on the Bozo show watching the Flintstones, the Brady Bunch, or Happy Days and having popcorn and townclub pop on a Friday night. Those were the days!:wink:

Oh…how I miss Miss Jean’s Storytime. On Sunday mornings she’d tell a bible story, and have interaction with puppets. My favorite part was how she’d ask for pictures of different things, a sofa, a cross, you name it. Then we’d all rush to get our drawings sent in so that by the next week when she was telling the story we might catch a glimpse of our picture on tv (and sometimes a special mention of a “lovely picture sent in by Annie.”) Plus at the end of each show they showed pictures of some the Churches that made the show possible or the choirs that provided music. What a great time it was hoping we’d see a picture of our parish or its choir!

Regarding Bozo- to this day when I toss a tissue or another small item into the trash can from a distance I imagine winning a fabulous Huffy Bicycle and maybe a $50 savings bond from the GRAND PRIZE GAME!

My brother was on Ranger Hal when he was about 5 or 6 yrs old. We lived in PG County, MD at the time. —KCT

Those of you who lived in San Diego in the mid-80s might remember a show that ran for a year or two called San Diego at Large. It was produced by local newscaster Larry Himmel, and was on 5 nights a week for 30 minutes, I think.

Bowling for Stamps? Cool! Postage, or S&H Green?

And you reminded me: When video games were first making it big, one of the local channels had a contest called “TV Poww”, in which the caller’s voice saying “Poww!” activated the target gallery gun or the bowling ball, whichever game was being played.

Did anyone ever win that? I didn’t see many kids get past the third bucket.

I remember my little sister doing the Uncle Al twist. What a hoot! We also watched Kukla, Fran and Ollie with the Saturday kid’s movie although I think that must have been a regional or national program because my mother watched them as a kid also in Detroit.

Captain Kangaroo and the Treasure House, Captain Noah–a Philly weatherman kid’s show, Sally Star and Pixie Ann, and Lorenzo (was that Red Sketon?), Gene London was kinda spooky…The Happy Piper or was it the Merry Piper? loved that show when he fell asleep after reaching into his magic bag and dreamed of fantasy adventures. And who was that Italian guy who had a talent show every Sunday after Liberace? It was sponsored by Carvel Ice-cream. Local News anchors Larry Kane and Jessica Savage (or Savitch? she died a horrible freak death in a mudslide…) listening to ‘Wibbige’ --WBJ?–to see if the snow canceled school…and the original Zoom and Hodgepodge Lodge with Miss Jane. Romper Room and some kid’s game show where you got to go to Toys R Us with an empty cart and had 1 minute to grab every toy you wanted. Children’s Film Festival with Kukla Fran and Ollie on Saturday afternoons and my favorite film–from Czechoslovakia called Three Nuts for Cinderella (which I found on eBay and bought a couple of years ago renamed Three Wishes for Cinderella). The Bullwinkle and Rocky Show.
Ravyn

We had Kukla, Fran, and Ollie here, too, so it was definitely not a local show for you guys.

I don’t know where it was made - I always thought all shows were made in Hollywood when I was a kid, other than the ones that were made locally at CFCN. :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.