Anyone watched the Exodus Decoded?

Anyone watched the Exodus Decoded? It proved the Exodus did happened and that the date of 12 B.C when the Exodus was labelled incorrect by scholars when in fact the Exodus occurred in 1500 B.C.

The show was in the history channel, and it there is an website for it.

I saw that program on the History Channel.
It was professionally done and extremely thought-provoking.
Two thumbs up !!
Jaypeeto3

I wanted to see that. (I think you made an error in your dates, as scholars do not believe it happened in 12 BC.)

12 BC? Only a few years before Christ? That doesnt sound right as by Christ’s time the Jewish religion was well established. It would also disprove much of the Old Testament because certainly all the events after Exodus could not have happened in 12 years.

i believe it was changed from 1200 bc to 1500 bc

it was intersting but i think they were stretching

I read somewhere that the Exodus was actualy the escape of the followers of the cult of the Sun God Aten from Egypt. The Pharaoh Ahkenaten proffessed that there was a single deity- the sun, that is the physical sun itself, Aten. He outlawed the worship of the other Egyptian gods, but his successors reinstated their worship and banned the cult of Aten. According to this theory, Ramses the Great tried to surpress the worship of Aten, but it’s followers- including Hebrew slaves- escaped to Israel.

I really wanted to watch it-- but missed it.

How did they date the exodus to 1500 BC?

My prayers are going out to you Manyfit75 as you’re stationed in Iraq.

Based on some hieroglyphics (about a series of disaters that struck Egypt), a name of a pharoh (Ahmose), some huge stone (or clay?) slabs with drawings, and the eruption of a supervolcano just off of Greece around the same timeframe. Of course, other things too, like Minoan (?) paintings, and looking at the Reed Sea instead of the Red Sea (baically, a huge tsunami event).

It is true that there was a brief period when the Sun God was declared the only God. But I think the rest of the theory is really pure guesswork.

1200 bc is what happens when you go by the Bible alone and disregard history.

According to the show Most Historians think the Exodus occured in the 12 BC.

But historical in the show proves it happened in the 15 BC.

I think that should be 1200 BC and 1500 BC, not 12 BC and 15 BC. :slight_smile:

Well the historical records show that the 9 plague in Egypt happened in 1498 B.C. to 1500 B.C. I do recommend you take a look at the show or go to theexodusdecoded.com/vm_guided.jsp?ID=2

Just wanted to thank you for the link. Very interesting.

How did it prove this? Are you knowledgeable enough about the ancient Near East to know if their evidence actually held any weight or not?

I start out with the assumption that anything I see on the History Channel is bunk, at least if it concerns events taking place before about 1700 (they may be more reliable on modern American military history, which seems to be their main focus anyway).

Another of their programs “proved” that Jesus’ Aramaic words on the Cross were actually ancient Mayan. . . .

Edwin

Well the show is hosted by a Jew, and he strongly believe there is archeological evidence to prove the Exodus happened in 1500 B.C.

The one who directed to program is James Cameron. I think you should watch the show before making a rash judgement. It is informative and proves the Bible as historical fact.

I admit the History Channel isn’t reliable when it comes to the Bible. I watched most of them, and Exodus Decoded is the only documentary that is not bias against the Bible.

No way !! How did they get to that conclusion ?!! And what’s the point of talking to jews in Mayan ? :smiley:
I noticed Discovery Channel airs a lot of documentaries about Jesus’s life lately. A lot of these documentaries are exposing plenty of feminist bunk - a la Da Vinci Code. The things they do for more audience …

Alex.

How did it prove this? Are you knowledgeable enough about the ancient Near East to know if their evidence actually held any weight or not?

I start out with the assumption that anything I see on the History Channel is bunk, at least if it concerns events taking place before about 1700 (they may be more reliable on modern American military history, which seems to be their main focus anyway).

Another of their programs “proved” that Jesus’ Aramaic words on the Cross were actually ancient Mayan. . . .

Edwin

I think you need to watch the show and then draw your conclusions from the show instead of what is said here.

The show goes thru the process methodically. I recorded the show on DVD so I could go back at some point in time and critique it.

It proves the Biblical account. There is antagonism about from the Baptists, since it did not occur just like it did in Cecil De Milles “The Ten Commandments” with Charleston Heston. There seems to be to much of a preconcieved notion about the plagues. Cecil De Milles has imbedded how it happened in the minds of most. The Dangers of Hollywood.

Yes watch the show yourself.

I TiVO’d it and thought it was excellent. Especially how it didn’t take God out of the whole thing. When it came to proving the Tenth plague I thought, “How in the world are they going to be able to prove why only the firstborn Egyptian males died and no Jews???”:confused: But they did it!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I thought the Phoarah of the Old Testament was Ramses II but that was not true. That was based on Cecil De Milles “TEN COMMANDMENTS” staring Charleston Heston. I think many Christians in these age who watched that original TEN COMMANDMENT movie are mislead that the Paroah is Ramses II when in fact, history shows that it was Paraoh Ahmose.

I like to quote Wikipedia on the account of the historical document.

Ahmose I. Jacobovici suggests that the name of the Pharaoh at the time of the Exodus may have been a paronomasia. Jacobovici states that in Hebrew, the Egyptian name Ahmose would mean “Brother of Moses.” The documentary also examines the mummy of Ahmose’s son Sapair, who appears to have died at the age of twelve. In the Bible, the pharaoh loses a son to the Plague of the Firstborn, although Jewish tradition says that the son of Pharaoh survived. Also, the name of Ahmose I was mispronounced in the documentary. In the documentary it was pronounced “ĀḤKH-mōsay”, when it is actually pronounced “Ā-mōs”. Also, while the Egyptian mos can become Mošə in Hebrew, it cannot happen in the reverse. The Egyptian “s” corresponds to the Hebrew “š” (“sh”) when transliterating from Egyptian, however, in the reverse, “š” stays the same

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.