Anything else I should know?

I learned a lot in RCIA but since being received into the church,I have learned more reverent ways to do things. So now instead of holding hands during the Our Father, I don't. Also, after receiving the Eucharist I kneel until the Father says "Let us pray," as opposed to sitting when the Priest does. Lastly, I have started receiving Eucharist in my mouth as opposed to in the hand. What other things can I do,that I guess you could say are more traditional or at least a more reverent way of behaving? Thanks!

Hi MaryRita,

It's great that you're so happy to be a part of the Church. And if you'd like to be more traditional that's great. Just as long as you don't put too much emphasis on "the old way" versus "the new way"! They are both equally valid. Please forgive me for failing to address your question-- I don't know any more traditional ways for you to act. I'm not trying to derail you, and the traditional way is fine, I only want to make sure some things are clear for your own sake.

What country are you from? I'm no expert in these things but from what understand, there's no reason not to receive in the hands, with the exception of the danger of profanation (I don't know what your hands have to be like for that, probably bloody or covered in tar). Here's an article: madisoncatholicherald.org/guestcolumn/2299-matenaer.html
It basically states either form is acceptable in the US, neither is deniable.

But bear in mind that it's considered normal to receive on the hands. The USCCB stated that. They didn't do that to make communion less reverent to our Lord. If you have in your mind that it is less reverent, you are putting yourself as risk of pride, elitism. If you find yourself looking at others thinking "you should be receiving our Lord on the tongue, not the hand," then you need to see a priest immediately.

There's nothing wrong with holding hands during the Our Father, though it's not an official part of the Church's teachings, if this article is correct (ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur10.htm)

That doesn't make it wrong just because the Church doesn't declare one way or another. You don't have to, and though the Church is obviously quite divided about it, if you don't want to, don't. I'd base it on the type of Church that I was in (while in France, for example, no one did this, so I would not do it. In my local parish it's very common so I do it)

Again, forgive me for failing to provide new ways for you to do things, I only wanted to make sure we are both on the same page about old versus new.

Welcome home!!! So glad you're here. I think what you have decided to practice are wonderful things to do!

Perhaps, if you don't already, you could bow profoundly **before *receiving Holy Eucharist and making the sign of the cross right *after** receiving.

I also pray a shortened version of the Divine Mercy Chaplet to offer to God the Father our Precious Lord in the Holy Eucharist.

"Eternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your dearly beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ. In atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world. (3x)

Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world. (3x)"

Keep up the great work! All the things you do to increase your fervor and become more reverent, the more pleasing you are to Our Lord and his Blessed Mother! God bless! :thumbsup:

+JMJ+

Oh, I can offer something useful. It's good to genuflect before the tabernacle, should you pass by it (though I usually just do this at the pew as I rarely pass before the tabernacle)

See, I can accomplish what people ask in the threads.

Well, some things that are practiced at the Seminary/Abbey where I study include:

-Always dress modestly (no shorts, tank tops, flip flops, hats) while inside the church.

-Genuflect before the Blessed Sacrament, if reposed in the tabernacle, genuflect with your right knee touching the ground reverently. If exposed, kneel on both knees and give a bow of the head before standing up and moving on.

-Keep custody of your eyes. Never look around distractedly, but always focus your attention to the priest, reader, or Jesus on the altar. (some notable instances in which you should keep extra-careful custody of the eyes include people coming in late for Mass, children running around or crying during Mass, EMHC's coming up to the altar, other people receiving Communion)

-Keep good, straight posture. If possible, try not to use your hands as support on the pews in front of you. If you want, you can fold your hand if it helps.

-When using a hymnal or prayer book while standing up, always hold your book up to chest level and also avoid looking around when using the book, but keep attention to the words on the prayer book.

-When receiving Communion, try not to look at the EMHC/Priest/Deacon distributing the Communion but rather focus your gaze on the Host that he presents before you.

-Use the postures specified in the Missal, like striking your breast thrice at the "through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault" in the Confiteor,

bowing (kneeling on Christmas and the Annunciation) during the Creed (whether it be the Nicene or Apostles' Creed) when it mentions the Incarnation and Birth of Christ (in the Nicene Creed, "and by the Holy Spirit, was incarnate by the Virgin Mary, and became Man" and in the Apostles' Creed "who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary"),

bowing your head towards the Host before communicating (try to do it as if you were bowing to the person in front of you receiving Communion. That way the Communion line runs more smoothly, and

only giving the Sign of Peace to those nearest to you (don't go walking up and down the aisles giving the Sign of Peace to everyone you see, nor should you awkwardly reach out your hand to someone 2 pews away. It's really distracting to others :) )

-If you want, you can bow your head (and not chest) at the name of Jesus. (Note: it is only done at the name Jesus and not at the other names for Our Lord)

-Kneel down before Mass, to ask Jesus to give you the proper disposition for receiving Him lovingly and after Mass for a short time just to thank Jesus, for receiving Him.

Well, there are probably a lot more, but that's all I can think of at the moment!

God bless,
Facite

Thanks for all the advice, I think I do the majority of these things.I definitely don't judge anyone for how they choose to worship because I'm just happy they're there! Surprisingly enough, I have had others tell me the way that I do it is gross (receiving in the mouth) so that's a bit bothersome. I think its just my personality, I tend to be more traditional in pretty much everything that I do.

[quote="MaryRita85, post:6, topic:336643"]
Thanks for all the advice, I think I do the majority of these things.I definitely don't judge anyone for how they choose to worship because I'm just happy they're there! Surprisingly enough, I have had others tell me the way that I do it is gross (receiving in the mouth) so that's a bit bothersome. I think its just my personality, I tend to be more traditional in pretty much everything that I do.

[/quote]

Just remember, worshippers should be left in peace and not in pieces. (from Cardinal Arinze) :).

Surprisingly enough, I have had others tell me the way that I do it is gross (receiving in the mouth) so that's a bit bothersome.

[/quote]

The person is not speaking for the Church. The Church allows us to receive in the hand and on the tongue. Telling you one way is gross is their poor or rude manners about Church teachings. Do not allow them to offend you. Be at Peace.

I'm just a little bit scrupulous and I want to do everything just right. How anybody else does anything makes no differenceto me:)I just want to feel happy with the way that I'm doing it, so please don't think that I am judging. well down to I'm just very hard on myself.

[/quote]

As RoseMary131 has said, don't let anyone discourage you from the way you receive the Lord. I receive this way as well. I think it is a beautiful thing to see a Catholic such as yourself taking their Faith so seriously. God Bless You!

Peace, Mark

[quote="Mark121359, post:10, topic:336643"]
As RoseMary131 has said, don't let anyone discourage you from the way you receive the Lord. I receive this way as well. I think it is a beautiful thing to see a Catholic such as yourself taking their Faith so seriously. God Bless You!

Peace, Mark

[/quote]

Thank you. I'm a minority, doing it that way so sometimes I doubt doing it. I need to be at peace and stop overanazlying everything I do. God bless you too! RoseMary was right, thanks!

Wow, so nice to hear someone so passionate about liturgy :) Most definitely a precious new member to the Church, sister.

I cannot understand how it can be 'gross' to follow a tradition that every Catholic followed for centuries and still follows now. Only in the West is receiving in hand common. In Poland I have never seen this! Everyone kneels.

The most reverent thing you can do is to be there and participate with your full attention and love. Everything else is decoration, beautiful, but still decoration. I say so as someone who also loves the traditional ways of showing reverence.

Pax, soror

[quote="MaryRita85, post:11, topic:336643"]
Thank you. I'm a minority, doing it that way so sometimes I doubt doing it. I need to be at peace and stop overanazlying everything I do. God bless you too! RoseMary was right, thanks!

[/quote]

Please don't doubt this. You're on a very good path. And it's great to see. You're right. You are in the minority.....few Catholics take their Faith seriously like you do! :) Keep it up MaryRita85!

Peace, Mark

[quote="Mark121359, post:13, topic:336643"]
Please don't doubt this. You're on a very good path. And it's great to see. You're right. You are in the minority.....few Catholics take their Faith seriously like you do! :) Keep it up MaryRita85!

Peace, Mark

[/quote]

Thank you! Most of my life I was a sinful mess,I just want to be pleasing to God and follow and behave in a way that is holy:D When you know better,do better!

[quote="MaryRita85, post:1, topic:336643"]
I learned a lot in RCIA but since being received into the church,I have learned more reverent ways to do things. So now instead of holding hands during the Our Father, I don't. Also, after receiving the Eucharist I kneel until the Father says "Let us pray," as opposed to sitting when the Priest does. Lastly, I have started receiving Eucharist in my mouth as opposed to in the hand. What other things can I do,that I guess you could say are more traditional or at least a more reverent way of behaving? Thanks!

[/quote]

Lots of good advice here.

Also remember your devotion to Christ and His Gospel the other 167 hours of the week.

They'll know we are Christians by our love.

[quote="MaryRita85, post:14, topic:336643"]
Thank you! Most of my life I was a sinful mess,I just want to be pleasing to God and follow and behave in a way that is holy:D When you know better,do better!

[/quote]

I here you! I still am a sinful mess! :o The Holy Spirit is working overtime in you! Like Mary, just keep saying yes! :).....By the way, I just saw your other thread and you're spot on about that as well!

Peace, Mark

[quote="Mark121359, post:16, topic:336643"]
I here you! I still am a sinful mess! :o The Holy Spirit is working overtime in you! Like Mary, just keep saying yes! :).....By the way, I just saw your other thread and you're spot on about that as well!

Peace, Mark

[/quote]

Thanks! I've been dealing with a lot of push back so it's nice to have a boost of confidence that I'm on the right track!

[quote="MaryRita85, post:17, topic:336643"]
Thanks! I've been dealing with a lot of push back so it's nice to have a boost of confidence that I'm on the right track!

[/quote]

You're very, very welcome! Some of those who are giving you that push back have probably become, I would venture to guess, caught up in this "modern" culture which frowns on anything that involves God. Regardless, it's becoming more and more rare to see someone so focused on following what the Church teaches. You're a real breath of fresh air!

Peace, Mark

No one else suggested this to you so I will venture it, in the "old" times women in church would put on a "mantilla" in spanish "velo" in Italian.
It's a veil but made of a fairly sheer lace fabbric or hand knitted.
Widows and women that were in morning for someone that had passed away would wear a black one or if they attending at a funeral mass. Most women I knew had at least 2. One white and the other black :D
Of course there were other colors as well.

Peace :thumbsup:

[/quote]

I receive on the tongue for my own reasons, but despite my best efforts at sticking out my tongue far enough and opening it wide enough, frequently I will feel a finger on my tongue, and most often it's the priest's. He is very large and has huge fingers. So I can see the part about seeming gross. I can take it, because as a nurse, I'm used to gross, but to many people that is off-putting and that is understandable.

I have never felt it was more reverent than receiving in the hand, because reverence is in the heart, but one should do what one feels is the best for them as far as showing reverence. I believe the most important thing about being reverent is fostering it internally. If that is done, it will naturally translate into our speech and actions, and it is never wise to judge others as less reverent or more reverent because they do or do not do things a certain way (which I am sure you are not the type of person to do that).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.