AOC future of Catholic church?!

"The progressive National Catholic Reporter (NCR) has declared Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to be “the future of the Catholic Church” noting her frequent references to “Catholic values” and her “passion for justice.” (https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/07/28/national-catholic-reporter-aoc-is-the-future-of-the-catholic-church/)

If she is the future of the Catholic church, I will have to look elsewhere for a church! I don’t understand how anyone can condone the Democratic views and what is happening these days.

8 Likes

Pff. Sorry, I’m directing that sound at the suggestion that AOC espouses “Catholic values”, not directing that sound towards you.

No, obviously AOC is not “the future of the Catholic Church”. For just one example, AOC advocates for abortion, which is murder, which can never be reconciled to Catholic teaching.

Personally I’d suggest turning off the news for awhile. The political scene can stir up a lot of madness.

Don’t be shaken off the rock of Peter. God has built His Church, and He will not let the gates of hell prevail against her. Keep your eyes on Christ – not on worldly politics.

9 Likes

The NCR isn’t an authentic Catholic publication. If the National Catholic Register ever says something like this then I’d be a bit worried, but the Reporter is something akin to schismatic.

15 Likes

You mean to say you would allow your political preferences to determine your religion?

No. I’m saying if that were a fact, true fact, then couldn’t be part of that group.

3 Likes

This is politics, as usual.

2 Likes

The Future of the Catholic Church is the return of the King…

24 Likes

Exactly the opposite. We are saying that AOC does not espouse Christian doctrine or values and that precludes her from being the future of the Church. Its like saying Christopher Dawkins represents the future of the Catholic Church.

4 Likes

This guy gets it.

5 Likes

If I were you, I wouldn’t take anything the NCR says seriously, they’re highly deceptive by using the word “Catholic” in their name. They’re the fishwrap.

9 Likes

Who cares what the National Catholic Reporter has to say? It is well known to be fishwrap trying to piggyback off the name of the National Catholic Register.

6 Likes

Pelosi brags about her “Catholic values”, too, it is politically expedient to do so. Catholics are the largest group of block voters in the US.

13 Likes

Is that still true? I know they are still a large block but haven’t the “Nones” become larger? I also thought the evangelical Protestants were larger as well.

I could be wrong…and most likely am…

I certainly hope NOBODY thinks that. She has issues and she needs prayers.

2 Likes

I would have never guessed she (AOC) was Catholic at all.

6 Likes

You could have just stopped right there, you know. :wink:

6 Likes

Maybe. I just like to feel special.

1 Like

As expected, the Breitbart article conflated and sensationalized the National Catholic Reporter editorial. I read both, and I think the National Catholic Reporter item was fine inasmuch as it focused on Rep. Ocasio-Cortez’s speech about dignity and respect for women. She said something good and true, and Breitbart can do no better than to ignore the good and say “But what about her stance on abortion?”

6 Likes

. . . . What “good” ? I’ll judge her by her fruits.

2 Likes

Because you are! :innocent:

3 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.