AP-GfK Poll: Most expect GOP victory in November

news.yahoo.com/ap-gfk-poll-most-expect-gop-victory-november-202133360.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — Two weeks before Election Day, most of the nation’s likely voters now expect the Republican Party to take control of the U.S. Senate, according to a new Associated Press-GfK poll. And by a growing margin, they say that’s the outcome they’d like to see. >

< Among all adults, 38 percent say they’d like the Democrats to wind up in control of Congress, to 36 percent for the Republicans. But the GOP holds a significant lead among those most likely to cast ballots: 47 percent of these voters favor a Republican controlled-Congress, 39 percent a Democratic one. That’s a shift in the GOP’s favor since an AP-GfK poll in late September, when the two parties ran about evenly among likely voters. >

< Women have moved in the GOP’s direction since September. In last month’s AP-GfK poll, 47 percent of female likely voters said they favored a Democratic-controlled Congress while 40 percent wanted the Republicans to capture control. In the new poll, the two parties are about even among women, 44 percent prefer the Republicans, 42 percent the Democrats.

In all, the poll finds that 55 percent of likely voters now expect Republicans to win control of the Senate, up from 47 percent last month. Democrats have grown slightly more pessimistic on this count since September, with 25 percent expecting the GOP to take control now compared with 18 percent earlier. >

< Same-sex marriage? Only 32 percent said that was an extremely or very important issue to them personally, identical to the percentage saying so in September, before the Supreme Court effectively allowed same-sex marriages to proceed in five more states.

The poll, which asked likely voters whom they preferred among the candidates in the congressional district where they live, found Republicans hold an edge in the upcoming elections. Forty percent said they would vote for the GOP candidate in their House district, while 32 percent said the Democrat. About a quarter backed a third-party candidate or were undecided. >

To the extant that the Obama-Pelosi party has embraced the Culture of Death, they very much deserve defeat. To the extant that the opposition party opposes the Culture of Death, they deserve electoral victory.

Don’t believe everything you read in a poll. Go out, vote and make it happen.

Most expect GOP victory in November
Don’t believe everything you read in a poll. Go out, vote and make it happen.

Given that “St. Reagan” legalized abortion in CA, nominated two pro-abortion judges to the Supreme Court together with a legacy of almost 8 years of GOP majority in congress with a GOP president with abortion never seriously challenged, I don’t expect much.

Also being pro-life isn’t limited to abortions and euthanasia, but also should extend to how we treat the poor and weak and how we strive towards peace rather than war. GWB’s war in Iraq killed over 60,000 innocent civilians. How many GOPers support the death penalty and endless wars like Obama? None of this is “pro-life”.

I think the GOP pays lip service to social conservatives for thier votes when in the end they, like the democrats, only care about money and power.

newsmax.com/US/Mark-Steyn-conservative-elections-liberals/2014/10/20/id/601925/

Mark Steyn’s take on things

Anthony Kennedy was actually recommended by National Right to LIfe. Who was to know how this guy would “grow” in Wasington? O’Connor was a nice lady, but a mediocre choice. Scalia has been good. Obama and Clinton have given us nothing but radical leftists on every issue, people who are repulsed by the Constitution. The hacks in black are with us at every level of the judiciary, thanks to the votes of Christians who insist on seeing "moral equivalence between the parties.
Reagan became stridently pro-life after he was duped in CA. into signing a bill which seemed to him to be (on its surface) humanitarian. He was awakened to how vile the left can be. Ca. went from double digits of pregnancy rapes per year to tens of THOUSANDS of such “rapes” the year after this pernicious bill was signed. :rolleyes:

It is a much-used; overused, really, tactic of the Democrat party to argue that the parties are “equivalent”, in order to sour people who are otherwise repulsed by the Dem party. They aren’t equivalent. G.W. Bush appointed Alito and Roberts to the Supreme Court. Obama appointed Sotomayor and Kagan. A more stark difference could hardly be imagined.

And Democrat apologists know there’s not much that can be done to overturn abortion on demand other than by Supreme Court appointments. It can, however, be weakened and limited. Repubs are responsible for every state action that has done so.

Also, it may be noted that in the Carhart case, every last Dem appointee to the Supreme Court voted in favor of partial birth abortion. Every Repub voted for a ban on it.

And 'GWB’S war" was voted for by almost every Democrat in Congress. It was their war too. But Obama abandoned the Iraqis without a congressional vote, so are we now to call it “Obama’s ISIS”?

I’m not a Repub. Never was. I was a Democrat for most of my life. But the party I supported is as dead as the Whig Party of old. It has been replaced by a party that cares nothing for the poor, serves the rich, and impoverishes the middle class. But its number one priority is abortion.

Excuse 1,5,7,&9

Excuses for voting for Pro-abortion Canidates:

1. National Republicans aren’t “really” pro-life, so it’s okay if I vote for the virulently pro-abortion party.
  2. Specific candidate isn’t “really” pro-life, or I don’t believe his supposed change of belief, so it’s okay if I vote for the virulently pro-abortion party.
  3. My deacon/priest/bishop/cardinal told me or wrote me a letter telling me it was okay to vote for a virulently pro-abortion politician.
  4. I’m not a one-issue voter, so I can ignore the Church’s teaching and vote for the virulently pro-abortion politician.
  5. Republicans (at any level) have not passed enough pro-life laws (as decided by me), so I can vote for the political party that is virulently pro-abortion.
  6. Republicans (at any level) have not had enough success on pro-life issues (as decided by me), so I can vote for the political party that is virulently pro-abortion.
  7. Roe vs. Wade is still the law of the land even though most Supreme Court justices were appointed by the Republicans, therefore Republicans aren’t serious about abortion, so I can vote for the political party that is virulently pro-abortion.
  8. I found a Church document that mentioned proportionate reasons in voting, so I personally judged support for a higher minimum wage (or other social justice cause) was on equal footing with abortion, and I can vote for the political party that is virulently pro-abortion.
  9. I personally believe that Democratic policies will reduce abortions, so it is okay for me to vote for a virulently pro-abortion politician.
  10. We can’t do anything about abortion until we change the hearts and minds of the people, so it is okay for me to vote for a virulently pro-abortion politician.
  11. You can’t legislate morality, so it is okay for me to vote for a virulently pro-abortion politician.
  12. People will still have abortions even if you make them illegal, so it is okay for me to vote for a virulently pro-abortion politician.
  13. We can’t end abortion until we address the root causes, so it is okay for me to vote for a virulently pro-abortion politician.
  14. I can’t impose my beliefs on other people, so it is okay for me to vote for a virulently pro-abortion politician.
  15. There isn’t any difference between the parties, so it is okay for me to vote for the virulently pro-abortion party.
  16. The Pro-Life movement is in the tank for the Republican party (even though all pro-life legislation has had the overwhelming support of Republicans and overwhelming opposition from Democrats), so it’s okay for me to vote for the virulently pro-abortion party.

Here’s hoping - let’s not get too excited until it happens. A lot of the races are really, really close and Republicans for the most part are horrible campaigners with precious little appeal across the aisle. And I speak as a Republican. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.