AP source: Rudy Giuliani the favorite to be Trump's secretary of state

chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-rudy-giuliani-secretary-of-state-20161114-story.html

I like Rudy, but this seems like a strange position for him. There were assumptions that he would get either the Attorney General or Homeland Security position.

I’m happy for him. I always thought he deserved to play a more prominent role in our national politics than just a talking head on television.

Seems very odd to put a man with nothing in the way of foreign policy experience in charge of the State Department. I mean a domestic position wouldn’t surprise me, but Secretary of State :confused:

I must admit, I am very surprised at this mooted decision.

This means that Rudy Giuliani will now be the face of America to the world?

Given the international prominence of New York City, I would think a former mayor of that city would be uniquely qualified to be Secretary of State, even though I would agree that AG seems like a more obvious choice.

I agree

He’s carried a lot of baggage himself, being accused of coverups and such surrounding the events of 9/11. (He was the mayor of New York at the time.)

But I’m sure he too has a lot of supporters.

Um, what?

Homeland security seems like a much better fit for him.

It would seem that either Attorney General or Director of Homeland Security would be more in line with his expertise.

It’s a good position for him better that he not be a face inside America if President Trumps wants to unite the country.

I was hoping for John Bolton, but I suppose I can live with Giuliani. :blush:

He has said that he does not want either of those positions.

I think Guiliani as AG or HS would lead to too much surveillance on American citizens. Think stop and frisk on a federal level.

SoS would not be a good fit, but he seems to want it for whatever reason, and President Trump owes him a shot. He’d be better than Bolton.

I was expecting a domestic position as Rudy was out there standing by Trump’s side the whole way. But I agree.

Interesting he doesn’t want AG after all the talk of crooked Hillary or homeland security after having been NYC mayor at the time in 911.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.