Apastolic sucession

How would I go about proving the apolsotic sucession (that the right to hear confession for example or the Papacy was not for the aposltes only but, it desended to the modern day)? Thanks and God bless.

Apostolic

catholic.com/library/Apostolic_Succession.asp

1. Jesus told the Apostles to go forth and spread the Good News of the Gospel to all the ends of the earth, knowing that the Apostles would not be able to accomplish this in their lifetimes. He had to give them the means to transfer their authority.

2. Jesus gave Peter, singularly, and the Apostles, as a college, the ability to bind and loose. Hence, if they decide to set up a Succession, then a Succession there will be!!! Jesus, knowing the future, realized this would happen, and yet He still gave them the power to do this. So, He implicitly approved of their use (or abuse, if you ask some people) of this power!

NotWorthy

Montie:

Can the Republic of the United States operate as outlined by the founding fathers without the succession of Presidents?

What more Christendom?

Without leadership-there’s simply no direction. Even more for Christianity where all things under the sun seen and unseen must be understood and applied according to God’s will. Without the church and the popes orthodoxy would not have lasted this long.

in XT.

[quote=AquinasXVI]Montie:

Can the Republic of the United States operate as outlined by the founding fathers without the succession of Presidents?

What more Christendom?

Without leadership-there’s simply no direction. Even more for Christianity where all things under the sun seen and unseen must be understood and applied according to God’s will. Without the church and the popes orthodoxy would not have lasted this long.

in XT.
[/quote]

True but, a protestant could easily say that the Bible does not say this while the Consitution does. I want to show to the contrary. Though good analogy I will have to use it sometime.

I really should change my name soon, I think it’s time…

Ok, I didn’t see this in the article that was linked. Here’s perhaps something helpful…

Acts 1, where Peter cites Psalm 69:25 and 109:8, and applies it to getting another person to fill Judas Iscariot’s “vacancy.”

That’s a good text for apostolic succession. It’s limited in scope, but the idea is there in the NT in Acts.

As for Apostolic Succession specific to the sacrament of reconciliation/confession… That’s perhaps a little harder. Much of it goes back to the link between the Levitical priesthood and the “Christian” priesthood of sacramental Holy Orders. There’s plenty of “forgiveness” and “confession” verses, but a link like perhaps what you’re looking for between apostolic succession and sacramental confession isn’t explicit. Perhaps it’s best described as implicit in the link between John 20:20-23 and Apostolic Succession and the priesthood in general.

However, the situation in Acts 1 is not to be taken lightly, that’s major for understanding the succession of the Apostolic office!!

A cool text in Isaiah is Isaiah 61:5,6, a prophecy of the Christian era…

And strangers will stand and pasture your flocks, and foreigners will be your farmers and your vinedressers. But you will be called the priests of the Lord; You will be spoken of as ministers of our God.

There’s more there than simply “priesthood of all believers” wouldn’t you say??

Compare that with Revelation 5:10 and I Peter 2:9!!

-Rob

During apostolic times, the apostles passed on their ‘apostleship’ i.e. the power of being a bishop–through the laying on of hands. That was continued through subsequent generations. This handing down of apostolic authority through the laying on of hands–which we call ordination–is evident in the New Testament, with ultimately three degrees of authority being apparent: bishop (or overseer) presbyter (priest), and deacon.

[quote=Montie Claunch]How would I go about proving the apolsotic sucession (that the right to hear confession for example or the Papacy was not for the aposltes only but, it desended to the modern day)? Thanks and God bless.
[/quote]

Use common sense? Why would Jesus institute something to the Apostles that wasn’t meant to last for eternity?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.