Apocalypse now.

In contemplation of the Book of Revelation’s warning of the rise of the anti-Christ, I submit some inquiries:

Written in 2 Thessalonians 2: 3-5-" Let no one deceive you in any way. For unless the apostasy comes first and the lawless one is revealed, the one doomed to perdition, who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god and object of worship, so as to seat himself in the temple of God, claiming that he is a god–do you not recall that while I was still with you I told you these things?"

Therefore, the anti-Christ will exalt himself above God. He will deceive many people into thinking that he is greater than God. Many (perhaps some Catholics; who knows?) will admire and follow the anti-Christ.

In reference to the Third Fatima Secret, the only way that the anti-Christ will be able to deceive so many people in this manner is to destroy the Papacy and hail himself as the Vicar of Christ. Since the Pope is the Shepherd of God’s Flock, it is necessary to destroy him first in order to control the flock.

I know the famous verse “The gates of the Nether-world shall not prevail against it [the Church]” holds true.

But what assurance do I have that the anti-Christ and his minions won’t infiltrate the Church and vacate the Seat of the Papacy? Does that one verse say it all? Is there absolutely no way that the anti-Christ could become a Pope? And if the anti-Christ could, is it even the right thing to do to swear COMPLETE fidelity to the Vicar of Christ?

These questions have come up in my mind. Please, I would appreciate any Scripture verses or Church documents to quell these concerns of mine.

Why do you have concerns? Do you not trust in our Lord?

Hi, Apocalypse 12,

as one suggestion, I believe that we have the right to disobey the Pope if he commands us to do something that is contrary to our properly formed conscience. On that note, from what I understand, any spirit of antichrist must, according to St. John of the First Epistle, deny that Christ is the Son of God. Seeing as we know from general teaching that the spirit of antichrist in the end shall, paraphrasing from the CCC, “glorify man in place of the Messiah come in the flesh”, it would then seem to follow that no Pope could ever deny Christ as come in the flesh, seeing as the Church is infallible.

Secondly, even from Fatima, we do not appear to be in the final apostasy (that is, the great one), but rather the minor apostasy. IOW, this current apostasy will unconditionally be healed (if the general mystics are correct), only it may take the minor chastisement. Hence, we are most likely on the verge of not antichrist, but rather the greatest good in human history, the fullness of the Gentiles. So have hope, have faith. Yes, the world stands to immimently ALMOST come to an end, but we have strong reason to believe that it will repent this time when the horrors come. Humanity is still healable at this stage. Only after Christians are reunited and the faith gloriously restored and reconciled with science, will humanity no longer have an excuse when it apostatizes again, after the age of peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.