Apologetic fiction

Can anyone recommend some studies on Christian apologetic themes in works of fiction? I’d be very grateful!

Thanks.

SeánOB

The best ones I’ve read are all by CS Lewis.

They include his Dr. Ransom trilogy -

“Out of the Silent Planet”
“Perelandra” &
“That Hideous Strength”.

These three were brilliant in my opinion.

I suppose you could also read his Narnia series, but I was bit too old for that when I became a Christian, as they’re aimed at children. I did read “The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe” however.

He also has some allegorical works eg.

“The Screwtape Letters”
“The Great Divorce”
“The Pilgrim’s Regress”

I’m afraid I haven’t made a point of reading much other Christian fiction. While some of the authors can write well, they have a fundamentalist outlook eg. the *Left Behind *series.

A lot of G. K. Chesterton’s Father Brown stories have Catholic apologetic themes, even if they’re implicit:

The Sign of the Broken Sword is a refutation of Sola Scriptura and private interpretations of Scripture in general.
The Honour of Israel Gow is about the absurd extremes that Calvinist logic leads to.
The Chief Mourner of Marne is about the Catholic concept of forgiveness, as opposed to the world’s condonation of fashionable offences.
The God of the Gongs is about the danger of assuming that all religions necessarily lead to moral conduct; in fact, some of them may lead to grossly immoral acts.

There are more, but these are the ones I remember offhand. :slight_smile:

I was really pleased with this review of my novel “Pope Bob.”

“This book was a total surprise. I thought it was going to be a humor book judging by the title, but was shocked to find real people with real problems. I know there may be some inaccuracies, the world being without a Pope for some time, but I totally fell into this book. I have little to no religious background or affiliation, and the Catholic references didn’t bother me at all. In fact, it gave me a much improved image of today’s Catholic church.”

There’s more here:
amazon.com/Pope-Bob-ebook/dp/B004EEOHPM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I also heatily recommend these classics. As well as any of the G.K. Chesterton fiction. My favorite is the Man Who Was Thursday.

There’s a more contemporary writer of fiction, who has written a marvelous set of books which I just loved:

Michael O’Brien - The Children of the Last Days series. This is apocalyptic fiction more than apologetic, but it shows what happens in a world which despises Jesus, and His Church.

1. Strangers and Soujourners
  2. Plague Journal
  3. Eclipse of the Sun
    4 Father Elijah
  4. Sophia House
  5. A Cry of Stone
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.