Apologetic Question regarding Geneology of Jesus and Mary

I post this question which arise from Sacred Scripture thread by Ceasar’s forum.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=144863

How can Jesus be from the line of David since Joseph was not responsible for his birth?

The common answer I have is that perhaps Mary is also from the line of David.

I have done some research and still searching if there is any validity to Mary being descended from David line.

I ask all Christian Apologists, Catholic, Protestants and Orthodox to assist me in this seeking…

rtforum.org/lt/lt11.html

Both Mary and Joseph were of the house of David

[quote=www.drbo.org]Isaias 7,13 And he said: Hear ye therefore, O house of David: Is it a small thing for you to be grievous to men, that you are grievous to my God also? 14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign. Behold a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and his name shall be called Emmanuel.
[/quote]

This prophesy states that the Christ will be concieved by a virgin of the house of David.

Following Jewish tradition, Jesus gained full hereditary rights through Joseph.

How do you see that? The text you cited doesn’t say the virgin will be from the House of David.

Mary was cousin to Elizabeth who was from the Levitical line, wasn’t she?

It does not really matter if Mary was of David’s line or not. In Jewish tradition, lineage came from the father. Also per Jewish tradition, Jesus gained full hereditary rights through his adopted father, Joseph.

They made no distinction between “adopted” and “genetic” fatherhood.

Maybe the third time is the charm!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.