Apologetic Tip

I wanted to do a Bible study with a “Bible Only” Christian on how Catholic teaching is very biblical. What I did wrong is give him the information I wanted us to study first an asked him what he thought. The info was very biblical like you can find on Catholic Answers so it would be hard for him to refute. I tried this about three times and he did not want to do it. The last time I begged him and he said I was unreasonable and didn’t listen to what he was telling me about the errors in the Church so a Bible study would be useless with me. We had an arguement and he has been cold ever since. Some of my friends say I planted a seed and he may want to talk to me again. I think he never wants to talk again. What do you think?

Bible only Christians often invite other people to do “Bible Study” with them. It sounds perfectly harmless, in fact most of them genuinely think they are studying a text in a rational, natural manner, but of course the Bible Study wouldn’t stand up to five minutes of a real scholar in the room,
At some stage you’ve got to make your friend waware of that, and better sooner than later.

Wait for him to approach you.

Catholic Doctrinal Concordance
infpage.com/concordance/
skypoint.com/~waltzmn/TR.html

ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/DEUTEROS.HTM
scripturecatholic.com/septuagint.html

Jerome was the foremost biblical scholar of the ancient Church
justus.anglican.org/resources/bio/256.html
scripturecatholic.com/oral_tradition.html

If this person is a friend of yours then you need to nurture your friendship and keep in touch with him. I agree with Michael when it comes to speaking about matters of faith. Let him approach you first instead of initiating the discussion.

Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Wait, and have faith that God works on him as well.

Maybe he saw the truth you presented to the point that it scared the self assurance out of him. Some people cannot handle the truth. Especially if the mind has been programmed since childhood with a specific database of information.

I tried this same tactic on my sister…she nearly had a nervous breakdown.

It reminds me of the I-Robot book by Isaac Asimov. Robots are governed by 3 Primary Laws.

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2.A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3.A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law

It was found out that commands issued to a Robot must be perfect and concise since a Robot could disable itself (Robotic equivalent to a nervous breakdown) when a conflict arises to any one of the laws.

Some people are like these Robots…

I agree with Pax. We will all pray that the seed has been planted and await it’s germination.

Peace,
+N

I thought he was a friend. I tried many ways to get to know him and his wife better but the didn’t seem to want to go deeper than e-mail about errors they see in the Church and our attendance at Creation Society events. Any Christian can belong to the group but it’s focus is from a “Bible Only”/Protestant “Six Day Creation” view. One of their views is Christian or nonChristian if you don’t agree with “Six Day Creation” and othe passages in the Bible that say something about creation you are “part of the problem”.

Sounds cultish…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.