Apologetics CD / MP3 Complaint

I have a relatively large collection of CD’s and MP3’s by the usual band of folks - Hahn, Staples, Catholic Men’s Fellowship, etc. etc. etc. I am not terribly adept at this kind of stuff, but when I rip the CD’s, I get a very long list of albums labelled, “Unknown Album, Unknown Artist - date, time, etc.” It takes me quite a bit of time to figure out what is what and get things organized… After that, sometimes, the individual files automatically relocate themselves to an entirely different directory based on some internal trigger or whatever. I think these are all DATA TAG problems and I would like this complaint forwarded to anyone who makes CD’s!!!

IF YOU MAKE A CD OR MP3, PLEASE GET THE DATA TAGS RIGHT!!!

Now, after yelling so loudly, I have to admit that my 11 year old son is better at this stuff than I am - so the problem could be entirely mine!!! If so, no offense!!!

If anyone out there can offer any hints, please feel free to do so!!!

Messy data tags is something I frequently encounter with older CDs while I find that newer ones are quite neat and tidy. I think most all newly made CDs out there come fresh from the record companies with all the data tags done properly. The ones that don’t are probably remnants from the period of years when people were playing CDs in CD players and big boom boxes rather than ripping them to computers and adding them to libraries and playlists, etc.

I own, if I don’t say myself, quite an impressive library of classical music and I keep every one of my recordings meticulously organized.

It’s sort of like gambling when I get my hands on a CD and pop it in. Sometimes everything is all right there and sometimes I have to spend a couple of hours hand-entering track and artist information for 60 tracks of an entire opera. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s just something you have to do, I guess, but if you’re good at multitasking, you can listen to the recordings while you enter all that information. That’s what I do.

Have fun!

I am having this problem with the latest stuff from Tim Staples and some others. Stuff that is fresh off of the press.

My only advice is to rename them immediately after dragging the files. In iTunes, you can select a group of files and go to “Get Info” to change the Album or Artist of multiple files at the same time.

That’s rather funny, they just added tags to Audio Sancto, and my first reaction was ‘These titles are too long, I’d prefer the filenames’.

lol.

If you’re taking them off CD’s the reason why the names aren’t coming up is because the CD hasn’t been entered into the CDDB database or other online database. I’m not sure about the process but I’ve run into this with CD copies of radio dramas that I’ve purchased as well.

Can an average guy (like me) enter this information into the CDDB??? Also, is there some special CDDB that I need an address for in order to get this information?

I think in itunes (I’m not positive since I usually rip the cd and then enter in the information manually after) you can change the title of the CD and you can enter in information by right clicking on the song titles and clicking “Get Info”.

You can select more than one track at a time which will allow you to enter the Album and Artist for all the selected tracks. But you’ll need to enter the tracks individually.

As far as having it entered in the CDDB I think the publisher of the CD has to arrange that but I’m not positive. But this might prevent inaccurate entries.

Greetings!

The thought was that the more descriptive the names given to the recordings, the more helpful it would be for folks downloading them. :slight_smile:

Just curious: what do you mean by “they just added tags?” We’re planning a website update that would include the ability to add tags to sermons (for the first time). Is your iTunes automatically adding tags?

LOL. I appear to have attracted some attention.

Well, these are just my brief aesthetic thoughts, I do not know how useful they really are. Perhaps for others other ways work better. That said here is what comes to mind.

I noticed your “20090705-The-Sacrament-of-Penance-Part-1.mp3” had been tagged with the new title: Catholic Sermons - 5th Sunday after Pentecost - Penance1. Which when it appeared in my playlist made me think, ‘Catholic Sermons’, I know that! I have their whole archive in a folder for listening to, that’s useless info, and I had to widen Winamp playlist to display all that at once taking up more desktop space! And after some more thought also: And who needs the date in long form like that? I just want to know the actual title, the numeric dates are fine and they sort in order in the playlist unlike the new ones.

You already have the ‘genre’ set to Catholic so it doesn’t need to be in the title too.

So, I like it the way it was. It is is my view that it is the most convenient that way. If you want to change it for better appearance, get rid of the dashes in the filenames for the titles, that’s all. :slight_smile: Keep the numeric dates first. If you want more info, like ‘From Audio Sancto’ put it in the comments or some spot that won’t take up display space in the playlist. Look spiffier.

Not all changes are for the best. :slight_smile: It’s nice that you changed your web page to play the sermons in a little separate page, but less convenient for me who has to click one more page to download it separately. That’s fine though, there’re some who won’t do it the way I did it. But these titles aie, I hope that Penance sermon is not a new model.

Here’s a [desktop snapshot](“http://www.gameperfection.com/Media/Desktop Snapshot.jpg”) so you can see what I’m talking about.

I have to widen the playlist just to get to the first word of the actually informative part of the title of the sermon so I know what it is about.

Oh and folks, I highly recommend you download the entire Audio Sancto archive and put it on your playlist like I did, it’s very spiritually enriching to listen to you as you work.

It’s a little more of a pain in the neck now, unlike when I did it, but well worth it and you do have to pay for good things spiritually somehow or another. It’s a wonderful series of sermons, very educational unlike often your regular Sunday sermons at the local parish, very gripping, could change your eternal life forever. :slight_smile:

Deo gratias.

[quote=Shin]LOL. I appear to have attracted some attention.
[/quote]

In checking the website stats I saw that this month more links to Audio Sancto are coming from forums.catholic.org than anywhere else, so I decided to check out what was being discussed. :slight_smile:

[quote=Shin]I noticed your “20090705-The-Sacrament-of-Penance-Part-1.mp3” had been tagged with the new title: Catholic Sermons - 5th Sunday after Pentecost - Penance1.
[/quote]

The “locally sourced” audio is sent to me without any ID3 tags on board, so I didn’t think about it when the new source of audio sent me mp3 files with ID3 tags that state things that are… well, different. I’ve removed the ID3 tags from the sermons in question – the series on Penance and the new one I just posted “On Indulgences” – so the odd appearance in WinAmp should be fixed for newly downloaded audio.

[quote=Shin]And after some more thought also: And who needs the date in long form like that? I just want to know the actual title, the numeric dates are fine and they sort in order in the playlist unlike the new ones.
[/quote]

There are a few cases where sermons one or two years apart have precisely the same title. Having the date as part of the filename insures uniqueness. It’s also a minor convenience that was specifically requested in order to know when a given sermon was given. The dashes in the filename are also a concession to certain web standards: I can’t put spaces in the filename or scores of other characters that give web-connected programs fits.

[quote=Shin]It’s nice that you changed your web page to play the sermons in a little separate page, but less convenient for me who has to click one more page to download it separately.
[/quote]

It’s the first step to future features: that separate page is going to be holding tags, categories, a sermon synopsis and relevant notes (eg: Checklist for Sanctity), links to books and references elsewhere on the web – all of which would be searchable. Right now a clear weakness is that the in-site search only operates on sermon titles which isn’t a whole lot to go on. Improving search is a goal of mine for the site and the new “intermediate page” is part of that goal.

Please feel free to contact me with any more ideas, questions, comments, or suggestions you might have!

And the easiest way to do that is with iTunes (or any other podcast/RSS fetcher). iTunes instructions can be found here – audiosancto.org/itunes – and the RSS feed is feeds.feedburner.com/audiosancto-archive.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.