Apologetics class/club

:slight_smile: Hello everyone,
I am a high school teacher in San Antonio, Texas. I am starting an apologetics club at the school. I have some ideas of what I want to do, but am looking for suggestions. I am also teaching an adult class at my parish and it to is apologetics also. Any suggestions?

Why don’t you tell us some of your ideas so we can add to them or expand on them?

Malia

Just start teaching. Ideas will come to you as you go along. One thing naturally leads to another. Assuming you have enough background in apologetics to teach the subject, I suggest starting with a survey of the interests of your students. Apologetics is very largely a matter of replying to those who are attacking the Church. Find out if the young people you are teaching have been on the defensive withe their peers … protestants, atheists, etc. If you start by addressing their own immediate needs, you might ignite some real interest in the subject.

I have found that starting with answers to atheists is a good place to begin. Our culture is now largely secular and religion is fighting to survive. Some of the children you are teaching may well be under attack by those who would test their faith. They need to have the answers ready.

You might assign them to follow various threads at Catholic Answers, especially the threads that interest them.

But above all, they need to know their religion before they can defend it!

In light of both the year and its place in the Church I have three suggestions for your intro topic:

The Eucharist.

The Eucharist.

The Eucharist.

After that, I recommend dealing with the common objections to the Blessed Mother.

God Bless,
RyanL

[quote=Feanaro’s Wife]Why don’t you tell us some of your ideas so we can add to them or expand on them?

Malia
[/quote]

I intend to start with the simple and then go to the more difficult. I will use the booklet series Beginning Apologetics ( there are 7 booklets). First start with their quesitons. Then introduce issue like the Eucharist, seven sacraments, honor to Mary, etx. I hope this will stimulate discussion. There will be service projects and fund raisers to get guest speakers.
Thank you for your input.
J. E. Leon :smiley:

I have a tip. Make sure you don’t get fired. :frowning:

[quote=J. E. Leon]I intend to start with the simple and then go to the more difficult. I will use the booklet series Beginning Apologetics ( there are 7 booklets). First start with their quesitons. Then introduce issue like the Eucharist, seven sacraments, honor to Mary, etx. I hope this will stimulate discussion. There will be service projects and fund raisers to get guest speakers.
Thank you for your input.
J. E. Leon :smiley:
[/quote]

Well, it sounds like you’ve got everything covered! Aside from Gilbert Keith’s idea to survey your students to find out what issues trouble them most, I am not sure what more we can add. Good luck and thank you for taking this on!

Malia

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.