Apologetics help - mary crushes head of Satan?

I need some help. If you can, please do, or even just send me to a link. I somehow got involved in fielding many questions about our faith and I realize it is a priviledge but I am also wondering how I am going to have the time to get to all of them! So I am seeking help here as a shortcut. Any help would be appreciated.

I know that Mary will crush the head of Satan. I said as much on this discussion group (Evangelcial, a group I used to be a member of and was just visiting but now find myself discussing Catholic a lot!). Now they are asking, where do you get this? I know its from scripture.

Here is what I said and the response:

:

<< Mary, after all, will crush the head of the devil with her heel,
right? >>

This statement really struck me, [Eliza10]. Where do you get this idea?
The reason it struck me is that it sounds so much like the following
verse, except for the identity of the “crusher.”

GEN. 3:15 [God speaking to the serpent after the fall in the[/color]
garden]: “I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between
your seed and her seed. He will bruise your head and you will bruise
his heel.”

Bible scholars have interpreted this passage as a prophetic reference
to Christ and his work on the cross. The passage is known as
the “protoevangelion” – which means it is the first passage in the
Bible that speaks of the “evangel” – the “gospel” – that the Messiah
would die, but that his death would be the very means of victory over
Satan.

[Eliza10] – your statement appears to give Mary the credit for “crushing
Satan’s head under the heel,” rather than giving the credit to
Christ. At the very least, the passage says “his head” and “his
heel” – not “hers,” and certainly not “Mary’s.”

Perhaps it is statements like this that cause Boettner and so many
others to believe that Catholicism gives Mary the place of Christ? If
not, I would be interested in an explanation as to why this statement
does not fit that claim? I would also be interested in an explanation
as to where you got this idea?

Thanks –
M

Well I forgot where I got the idea! I think it is a combination of this verse as well as something from Revelation. I also read recently somewhere that this verse actually does say, “he” will burise the heel - yet still it is about Mary. Can someone help with this? I don’t doubt the teaching - just wonder what scriptrue we use to back it up.

Also i want to add I think the writer of this is a pastor.

The teaching comes from carrying the verses cited in Genesis to their logical conclusion.

When Eve denied God’s will, basically saying no to him, sin was brought into the world. Adam should have nipped it in the bud, but he failed us all by giving into temptation.

Fast forward to the Annunciation. Gabriel announces to Mary that she is to be the mother of the Redeemer. What does she say? She says, “Be it done to me according to your word,” IOW, she said Yes where Eve had said no. This was the opening salvo in the war to be waged by Christ against Satan.

Through Mary’s “yes” as opposed to Eve’s “no” salvation came into the world in the person of Mary’s Son, Jesus. So, she is a part of the crushing of Satan’s head because of her perfect obedience to God to become the Second Eve who brought us the Second Adam.

Hi Eliza,

In addition to Della’s excellent response I think you might be able to point towards ROMANS 16:19-20

[font=Arial]

[font=Verdana][font=Arial]19 For while your obedience is known to all, so that I rejoice over you, I want you to be wise as to what is good, and simple as to what is evil; 20 then the God of peace will quickly crush Satan under your feet. [/font]

[/font][/font]
[font=Arial]
Thus acoording to St. Paul, obedient, wise, and humble (simple)followers of Christ will crush satan under their feet (by the power of God, through His grace.)

Mary is the obedient, wise, and humble Disciple of Christ par excellence. She is full of grace, and preeminently obedient – the ultimate serpent crusher.

You also might want to check out this This Rock article: Who Will Crush the Serprents Head? by Jimmy Akin.

God Bless you Eliza,
VC
[/font]

Take a look at this thread from a few days ago:

To crush his head!

Mark
www.veritas-catholic.blogspot.com

Mary will indirectly crush the head of Satan because of her fiat, that is her “yes” when she said yes to God the Father and was the only human in the history of the earth to do His will perfectly. She bore the Son which would bear the sins of mankind and thereby cooperated in obtaining our salvation. Therefore, Mary becomes the New Eve and Christ becomes the New Adam. Gen 3:15 shows us where the woman will crush the head of the Serpent and also shows us how it was prophecied in the OT that Mary would be preserved from the stain of original sin. Later developments in the OT shows us where Mary & Her Son accomplish this role.

Thank you so much! This is helpful!

Hi Eliza! You are welcome.

Here is one more Scripture that I like, which seems to fit well here:

Rom 8:37 “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.”

Mary, the beloved of God, is certainly more than a conqueror. Being preeminently loved, she preeminently conquers through Christ.

VC

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.