Apologetics in the workplace

Greetings,

So here’s the story. At work this afternoon I was speaking with a colleague about a Bible study he had this morning before work. The conversation then moved to movies and I mentioned that I wanted to see the movie “The Way.” He then said that was how they referred to the Church as The Way, and I replied yes, in Acts. He then stated it was not until Constantine that Christianity became a “religion.”

I of course know how to engage with him on this topic, my question is how? How is one to engage in apologetics at work. I do not want to come across like a know-it-all. I like the “dumb Catholic” approach myself :D. Anyway, how is the best way to start a conversation about about this particular topic without being offensive or with an “I’m going to show you mister” attitude?

Thanks,
ZP

I know this isn’t what you were asking, but –
From an HR standpoint, the best answer to your question “How is one to engage in apologetics at work?” is “Don’t.”

Many employers have rules against such discussions at work, and even if yours doesn’t, someone could file a complaint about it. Also, an employer might wonder if you’re using time for apologetics when you’re being paid to do something else.

Perhaps the two of you could go to lunch or dinner for your discussions.

Thanks for the insight!

I was thinking exactly that, lunch or sometime off the clock.

ZP

Ask him why he has an issue with “religion” since we are called to it in the New Testament?

James 1:26] If any one thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this man’s religion is vain. 27] Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

I’m sure a few people are tired of hearing this suggestion from me, but use the dictionary. Provide the proper definition of the word “religion” and point out that Christianity, even originally, falls under the umbrella of this definition. Then it’s not even really apologetics, but rather just being a stickler for the English language. No worries needed.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, which is basically the standard by which all other dictionaries are judged, religion is defined as "1. belief in a personal God or gods entitled to obedience and worship. 2. expression of this in worship. 3. particular system of faith and worship. 4. thing that one is devoted to.

It’s an open and shut case.

Here in the south, all a Catholic has to do is put a picture of Mary on his desk and then sit there…

-Tim-

:rotfl:True…:rotfl:Very true indeed…:rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.