Apology over 'offensive' puppy police advert after Muslim complaints

A police force has apologised to Islamic leaders for the “offensive” postcard advertising a new non-emergency telephone number, which shows a six-month-old trainee police dog named Rebel.

The German shepherd puppy has proved hugely popular with the public, hundreds of who have logged on to the force’s website to read his online training diary.

But some Muslims in the Dundee area have reportedly been upset by the image because they consider dogs to be “ritually unclean”, while shopkeepers have refused to display the advert.

telegraph.co.uk/news/2229719/Apology-over-%27offensive%27-puppy-police-advert-after-Muslim-complaints.html

Where any Muslims forced to touch the unclean thing (6 month old puppy)? Where any Muslims forced to pledge fidelity to the unclean thing (6 month old puppy) before police assistance would be rendered to them in their time of need? Where any Muslims subject to puppy boarding?

Apologize for what? … :rolleyes:

Political correctness run amok.

I agree. I’m not particularly fond of dogs, myself, but it’s just a photograph.

Maybe if it was a cartoon of a puppy, do you think we’d see riots and burning buildings

Muslims are using the courts and the threats of lawsuits as a tool of terrorism. :mad:

Good grief! Muslim ate my policedog!

Not all Dundee’s Muslims would appear to be as naughty as Councilor Asif, though.

If you liked that, then you’ll like this one too:

Church school renames Three Little Pigs to avoid offending Muslims

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-442555/Church-school-renames-Three-Little-Pigs-avoid-offending-Muslims.html

The day that happens here, is the day when I lock-n-load.

Liberalism at it’s finest:mad: .

If you actually read that story you will see no-one Muslim asked for those changes in the story and indeed you have local Muslims quoted as saying it was bizarre. It was more a case it would seem of politically correct school councillors trying guess what would upset Muslims and failing to because they made wrong-headed assumptions.

Coming from a citizen of a country where people consider appeasing religious fundamentalists by teaching creation science, that’s quite funny really.

From the article:

Dundee councillor Mohammed Asif claimed the postcard, advertising Tayside Police’s new non-emergency telephone number, could offend some Muslims because it features a black German shepherd dog sitting in a police officer’s hat.

If a Muslim Cleric had not spoken out and hinted that Muslims might be offended we wouldn’t have political correctness run amok. The only reason people are bending over backwards not to possibly offend is because of events like what we had in Denmark, and those events were not isolated.

It is a form of terrorism. A group of people says they are offended, the other group or groups say deal with it, it’s our society not yours. The offended group goes on a rampage. So, what happens the next time the first group says, “They might be offended”? Exactly what we have here, which is also not an isolated incident.

Put me in charge, I’ll fix it.

p.s. some of us (if not most of us) actually do read the posted articles and then we put our thoughts behind what we’ve read. If our thoughts differ from yours it is not always an indication of a lack of reading comprehension, it is more an indication that we see things differently.

Which is odd because they’re two different cases and you’ve compounded them.

What is odd about two examples of similar cases being tied together? :confused:

I thought I was pretty clear in comparing the two. What is it you find odd?

You’re comparing pigs to puppies…come on now.

LOL - you know this is very funny because I was thinking that if it were me making the final say so on this deal that I would have reissued the add and replaced the puppy with a little piglet all dressed up like a motorcycle cop, sunglasses, black leather, tall riding boots. Of course this is only sort of funny in the US where cops are some times called pigs. But I am sure the message wouldn’t get lost too much, even in the UK :stuck_out_tongue:

We do? That’s news to me because I don’t see creationism as an official policy in the US. Maybe you see from where you are in Europe, but we are not seeing it here in the US.

b_justb;3880361

The only reason people are bending over backwards not to possibly offend is because of events like what we had in Denmark, and those events were not isolated.

I disagree here. It is not for fear of Muslims, but Liberalism and the desire to not offend people only becuse that it what Liberalism does. But in that proccess, they end up offending more people than ever. It’s not fear, but stupidity.

[quote=neat62]It’s not fear, but stupidity.
[/quote]

I think I can agree with that! :smiley:

The word I used was ‘consider’.

You cited one case and used a quote from the other.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.