Apology over 'offensive' puppy police advert after Muslim complaints

And?

Hm, might it not have been better to have taken each case separately and cited articles that actually apply to the relevant case?

You and I are both free to correlate the way we wish :slight_smile: So, anything you’d like to add about the offensive puppy in the ad, which is referenced in both links provided so far?

I thought the Dundee paper that I linked to and JharekCarnelian’s point about the pig story said what needed to be said, really. I realize that these are not relevant to the purpose of the thread, of course.

What museum did they have to raid to get that rotary dial phone? The Victoria and Albert perhaps, or maybe it was one of the ones Howard Carter dug up from King Tut’s tomb :stuck_out_tongue:

Realizing this goes way off the topic, but it brought back memories of child hood…the old black rotary dial AT&T telephone in our hallway…the only phone in the house for years…and my parents have had the same phone number for over 44 years…as much as I move around I think I’ve had 44 phone numbers.

I still have the old rotart dial phone we had growing up - giant cream thing that it is.

As to the two articles -I had less disagreement with the first one as I feel people were getting needlessly silly about sticking up the poster in their shop window in that example - the second example which was some what off topic was about schools removing references to pigs in a particular story and performances thereof. That one I cited as the local Muslims themselves were bemused as they had not asked for the change and they felt people were been a bit over sensitive over non-exsistent issues.

My local council did something similar when it removed all the books translated into Urdu and Punjabi in the local library which contained fairytales and memorably a translation of Animal Farm. They were reinstated when the local Imams said that this was a waste of time and public money and that it was actually quite patronising having people attempting to deem what was offensive or not to them.

The cute little puppy in the Scottish ad is black, which is the possibly the “most offensive” color he could be.

“In a fashion similar to European medieval folklore, black dogs, in particular, were viewed ominously in the Islamic tradition.[1] According to one tradition attributed to Muhammad, the Prophet of Islam, black dogs are evil, or even devils, in animal form.[2] Although this report did reflect a part of pre-Islamic Arab mythology, it had a limited impact upon Islamic law. The vast majority of Muslim jurists considered this particular tradition to be falsely attributed to the Prophet, and therefore, apocryphal. Nevertheless, much of the Islamic discourse focused on a Prophetic report instructing that if a dog, regardless of the color, licks a container, the container must be washed seven times, with the sprinkling of dust[3] in one of the washings. Different versions of the same report specify that the container be washed once, three, or five times, or omit the reference to the sprinkling of dust. The essential point conveyed in these reports is that dogs are impure animals, or, at least, that their saliva is a contaminant that voids a Muslim’s ritual purity. Hostility to dogs, not just as a source of physical but moral impurity, are further expressed in Prophetic reports claiming that angels, as God’s agents of mercy and absolution, will not enter a home that has a dog,[4] or that the company of dogs voids a portion of a Muslim’s good deeds.[5] Cultural biases against dogs as a source of moral danger reach an extreme point in reports that claim that Prophet commanded Muslims not trade or deal in dogs,[6] and even to slaughter all dogs, except for those used in herding, farming, or hunting.[7]”

scholarofthehouse.org/dinistrandna.html

:rolleyes:

Nevertheless, much of the Islamic discourse focused on a Prophetic report instructing that if a dog, regardless of the color, licks a container, the container must be washed seven times, with the sprinkling of dust[3] in one of the washings. Different versions of the same report specify that the container be washed once, three, or five times, or omit the reference to the sprinkling of dust.

Well, I think it’s prudent to wash anything a dog has licked out of, for health reasons.

The essential point conveyed in these reports is that dogs are impure animals, or, at least, that their saliva is a contaminant that voids a Muslim’s ritual purity.

Not to mention, give him galloping trichonosis. :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, cleaning up after one’s dog is not the same thing as “thinking that dogs are ritually impure.”

Well consider this: Nothing done here in the US is done out of fear or appeasment of religious people. And so what if we “consider” teaching creationism?

Hey, you assert something and I’ll believe it - well, err, probably not.

And so what if we “consider” teaching creationism?

It might well depend on how great one’s sense of humor might be.

[quote="JharekCarnelian]Dundee councillor Mohammed Asif claimed the postcard, advertising Tayside Police’s new non-emergency telephone number, could offend some Muslims because it features a black German shepherd dog sitting in a police officer’s hat.
[/quote]

I like how it only takes one post for a “Dundee councillor” to become a “Muslim Cleric”. That should be an apt demonstration of how these ridiculous non-stories end up being international news. :shrug: The only Muslim religious leader of any form who’s been quoted on this said that he didn’t care about it.

We Muslims really don’t care if someone wants to have a dog in their poster, and find it very insulting that a certain group of beaurocrats think we need them to decide for us what we find offensive.

Kaninchen;3884029

Hey, you assert something and I’ll believe it - well, err, probably not.

Have you lived in the US before?

It might well depend on how great one’s sense of humor might be

As funny as a Jew in Germany.

Twice.

As funny as a Jew in Germany.

Somehow, in some frame of reference, that comment relates to what was being talked about.

Kaninchen;3884216]

Twice.

You should come back and make some better observations.

Somehow, in some frame of reference, that comment relates to what was being talked about.

I think you are confused.

K: Oh, no I needn’t!
N: Oh, yes you should!
K: Oh, no I needn’t!
. . . . . . . . .

I think you are confused.

Surreal responses can often affect me that way.

N: Oh, no they don’t!
K: Oh, yes they do!
N: Oh, no they don’t!
K: Oh, yes they do!
. . . . . .

[Thus Kaninchen indicates the sheer pointlessness of this exchange.]

I’ve seen your posts before. You are not polite. But, whatever.

“Coming from a citizen of a country where people consider appeasing religious fundamentalists by teaching creation science, that’s quite funny really.”

Your charge, now back it up. It’s called a conversation. Knock off this stupid game.

There is no threat of violence in the US from religious people if creationism is not taught. Where, the mear cartoon of a religious icon in Europe, may. We have seen it beofre, yet you attempt to make a comparrison??

Well, at least we have that in common.

Your charge, now back it up. It’s called a conversation. Knock off this stupid game.

That’s supposed to be a conversational gambit?

There is no threat of violence in the US from religious people if creationism is not taught. Where, the mear cartoon of a religious icon in Europe, may. We have seen it beofre, yet you attempt to make a comparrison??

There’s no comparison, that’s agreed. Muslims in Europe are a tiny minority who feel themselves, rightly or wrongly (more rightly than wrongly, I’d suggest) marginalized and continually ‘got at’. On the other hand, Christian fundamentalists are a significant minority in the US . . . .

It appears this was blown way out of proportion.

We had a similar case in, I think it was Oregon or Washington state, where a principle decided to do away with the Pledge of Allegiance for fear of offending muslims. Only - the muslims were embarrassed because they were never offended.

Kaninchen;3885420

That’s supposed to be a conversational gambit?

No, that was a few posts back.

There’s no comparison, that’s agreed. Muslims in Europe are a tiny minority who feel themselves, rightly or wrongly (more rightly than wrongly, I’d suggest) marginalized and continually ‘got at’.

On the other hand, Christian fundamentalists are a significant minority in the US . . . .

So what? What does that have to do with this topic? European liberalism appeases a tiny minority, and in the US we do not appease a significant minority?(unless it is a non religious minority)

It sounds to me that apologizing to a minority for puppies and pigs is a spinless action. And it seems to me that if they are being “got at” is probably because they complain about a police dog in a civilization that widely accepts dogs. I’m not suprised that they are “got at”. They move to Europe, it is they who needs adapt, not the other way around.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.