Apostle Creed

Apostles Creed

I have a friend who says he is protestant but says that they recite (sing actually) the apostles creed at his church. From what I heard, it’s very similar to ours.

His point to me was, if that’s what we all agree on as the “rules” of our belief, where is there any difference between our beliefs. He says that the rest of the Catholic faith is “made in Rome”, and has no biblical evidence.

Any help to answer him would be gratefully received.

Christ wrote nothing and used quotes from the Old Testament, as He established His Church and explicitly made four promises to Peter alone:
“You are Peter and on this rock I will build My Church.” (Mt 16:18)
“The gates of hell will not prevail against it.”(Mt 16:18)
I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.” ( Mt 16:19)
“Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven.” (Mt 16:19) [Later to the Twelve]

Sole authority:
“Strengthen your brethren.” (Lk 22:32)
“Feed My sheep.”(Jn 21:17).

“And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.’ (Jn 21:25).

1. Never did Jesus command any of His Apostles to write anything, but to go and teach under the Primacy of St Peter.
  2. It is only through His Church that anyone can have the Sacred Scriptures to mangle or to lead him to Christ’s Church – the Catholic Church.
  3. The result of private interpretation has been tens of thousands of differing and confused “interpretations” among those outside of His Church.

Of course Christ established His Church, which defined what books are the inspired Word of God, no more nor less. Only She has the authority to interpret what She has given the world.

Your friend is right - the Apostles Creed chanted or sung in the mainstream protestant churches is identical to the one we use. We are all Christian, after all, but there are differences in interpretation between denominations - one example is on the use of the term apostolic which has a different meaning to Catholics than it does to many other Christian denominations. Note too, that until the recent introduction of the new wording of the Nicene Creed, the wording for that too was identical among English speaking Christian denominations.

Anglicans have (and still do) use the term “Holy Ghost” (“Was conceived by the Holy Ghost… I believe in the Holy Ghost…”). Obviously it is a very minor difference in translation. As you say, the wording is the same, but the meaning (how it is interpreted) is not. But nobody ever interpreted it in the protestant sense until the Sixteenth Century, and Catholics interpret it in the same sense as the original authors (whose writings we can still read today).

I would have to ask your friend where is the biblical evidence for the Trinity and where does he think the doctrine of the Trinity comes from? When he discovers it, the doctrine of the Trinity, was developed prior to the first codified bible that we hold today then ask him what did the early Christians do to determine “rules” before this bible?

Peace!!!

Though your Protestant friend’s church (or, more properly, ecclesial community) may sing that they believe in 'the holy catholic Church," they have a diffierent understanding of the words from Catholics. To Catholics the words mean so much more.

When saying the Nicene Creed at the start of the Rosary, and at mass I say the version I grew up with in the Episcopal Church, only because it is almost identical and I memorized it that way.

I believe the differences are:

“to judge the quick and the dead” [archaic word for living]

“worshiped and glorified”

“being of one substance of the father” …or is it with the Father…

Am I sweating over nothing?

They do NOT agree on the rules of the faith.

Just 2 points

[LIST]
*]When they say they believe in Jesus, does that mean they do EVERYTHING He commands? If that was true they couldn’t be Protestant…true? Believe is not just some intellectual recognition of something. It means DO all that the belief requires
*]When they say they believe in the Holy Catholic Church, that’s nonsense. They can’t redefine words in our Catholic creed. We know who Protestants broke from in the 16th century and remain so today. It was the Catholic Church, Our Lord’s Church. The Church Jesus says " I will build MY Church and not even the gates of Hell will prevail against it" and He wants zero division form what He builds John 17:20-23 . And they are Protestant to, His Church they say they believe in? :rolleyes:
[/LIST]When they begin with “I believe” and end with “Amen” they are making an oath to God.
Yet what they profess to God is not the reality for them. It would be the same for anyone who professes belief in what they really don’t believe. Romans 3:13

The Catholic Church as well as the Catholic faith has been there from the beginning.

[LIST]
*]Acts 9:31 So the church throughout all ἐκκλησία,καθ’,ὅλης ,τῆς
[/LIST]ἐκκλησία,καθ’,ὅλης,τῆς, = Church…Kata…Holos…the = the Catholic Church.

The English word Catholic is a transliteration of the Greek katholikos which is a compound word from kata, which means according to, and holos, which means whole. catholic.com/tracts/what-catholic-means
[LIST]
*]St IgnatiusBp of Antioch, ~69 a.d. - ~107 a.d., ordained by apostles, disciple of St John the apostle, called the Church the Catholic Church [/FONT]of which schismatics won’t be going to heaven [/FONT]
*]St Polycarp, Bp Smyrna, disciple of St John called the Church the “Catholic Church” [/FONT]
*]Muratorian canon [/FONT]
*]Irenaeus ~180 a.d. wrote “Against Heresies” called the Church the “Catholic Church” [/FONT] Bk 1 Ch 10 v 3], and also Irenaeus who was taught by Polycarp, teaches all must agree with Rome [Bk 3, Ch 3, v 2-3][/FONT]
*]Cyprian~250 a.d. [/FONT]
*]The Nicene Creed, 325 a.d., it’s a matter of faith to believe in the “One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church”
*]etc etc etc
[/LIST]Protestantism like Gnosticism, Arianism, Pelagianism, etc are all condemned heresies.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.