Apostle Creed

Is the Apostles Creed taken directly from scripture

No, not as a single unit. However, there is scriptural support for the various articles of the Apostles Creed scattered throughout the Bible. This webpage might help: Where the Catholic Apostles Creed is found in the Bible.

emmausroad.org/The-Creed-Professing-the-Faith-Through-the-Ages-P12327.aspx

1 CORINTHIANS - Chapter 1
10. Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no schisms among you: but that you be perfect in the same mind, and in the same judgment.

Todd I actually went through and read the versus that are listed next to scripture and those versus don’t line up. This is why I posted the question. Very confusing

It’s not full of verbatim quotes, but it is supported in substance.

There is one Lord, born of the Virgin, crucified under Pontius Pilot, etc.

Some try to argue that the church is not Catholic or apostolic, but that can be demonstrated with both scripture and history.

Then again, Catholics do not follow “scripture alone”.

matt: did you read what Todd posted. It directly points to scripture supposedly verbatim which is what made me question this whole thing. I am well aware we do not go on scripture alone but also tradition and the magisterium.

What Todd posted is exactly what someone else posted on fb. I went ahead and tried to match Scripture with each line of the Apostles Creed and could not. Which is why my question arose. Yes of course it is supported in substance otherwise we wouldn’t pray it. Thanks

Todd’s post is not an appeal to scriptural literalism. Scripture is united with living Tradition and Magisterium in formulating the creed. These three are inseparable.

I am going to try this one more time.

Here’s what Todd posted and this is what I am questioning. Let me make this perfectly clear------I as a Catholic, am well aware that we as Catholics DO NOT and ARE not a Sola Scriptura religion—that We as Catholics not only use Scripture but also use tradition and the magisterium----the three legged stool and all.

Now that I have made that perfectly clear this is what Todd posted. Notice that after each there is a verse where it supposedly can be found in the Bible.

EXample: I believe in God the Father Almighty (Mt 5:45

Well if you check the first verse it does not match Mt 5:45
None of them do.

I believe in God, the Father almighty, (Mt 5 :45)
Creator of heaven and earth, (Gen 1: 1ff;* Rom 1: 20)
And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, (Mt 3: 17;* Phil 2: 12)
Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, (Lk 1: 35)
born of the Virgin Mary, (Lk 2: 7)
suffered under Pontius Pilate, (Jn 19: 16)
was crucified, died, and was buried. (Jn 19: 29 – 42)
He descended into hell; (1 Pet 3: 19 – 20)
on the third day He rose again from the dead, (Mt 28:1-10; Jn 20:11-18)
He ascended in heaven, (Lk 24: 51)
and sits at the right hand of God, (Heb 1: 3)
the Father almighty; (Mk 14: 36)
from thence He shall come again (Mt 16: 27;* Acts 10: 39ff;)
to judge the living and the dead. (1 Cor 15: 51ff)
I believe in the Holy Spirit, (Jn 14: 15 – 20;* Acts 1: 7 – 8)
the Holy Catholic Church, (Mt 16: 18 – 19;* Eph 5: 26-27;* Col 1: 24)
the communion of Saints, (Mt 28: 19 – 20; 2 Cor 11: 13; 1 Cor 15: 33)
the forgiveness of sins, (Jn 20: 22 – 23)
the resurrection of the body, (1Cor 15: 51 – 54;* 1 Thes 4: 13 – 18)
and life everlasting. (1 Jn 5: 20)
Amen.

Here’s my question why would this be posted if none of it matches up and who put this together. This same thing was posted on FB and caused all sorts of comments and confusion.

It doesn’t? Mt 5:45 talks about us as “children of our heavenly father.” How does that “not match”?

None of them do.

I’m not buying it. Let’s try a couple…

Creator of heaven and earth, (Gen 1: 1ff;* Rom 1: 20)

Gen 1:1 – “God created the heavens and the earth”. Yep, that one works.

Rom 1:20 – “Ever since the creation of the world, [God’s] invisible attributes of eternal power and divinity have been able to be understood and perceived in what he has made.”

So, God made the world. Yep… check!

And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, (Mt 3: 17;* Phil 2: 12)

Mt 3:17 – “And a voice came from the heavens, saying, ‘This is my beloved Son’”.

Umm… sure looks like it’s saying that Jesus is the Son of God… :shrug:

Phil 2:12 – I’m guessing that this one is simply a typo. Phil 2:11 says, “Jesus Christ is Lord”. That seems to fit.

Here’s my question why would this be posted if none of it matches up and who put this together. This same thing was posted on FB and caused all sorts of comments and confusion.

So… maybe you can show where there’s a mismatch? So far, it looks like there was a typo, but that it generally holds up.

No the Apostle’s Creed is from the earliest Baptismal formula used in the Roman Church. The Apostle’s Creed is not used in the Eastern Churches, nor is it considered the standard - as this is the role of the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed.

An example of this early baptismal profession is found in The Apostolic Tradition of St. Hippolytus (d. 235), which was written about the year 215. To this day, in the Rite of Baptism for Children, the person who is to be baptized (or in the case of an infant, the parents and godparents) makes the profession of faith by responding to the three Trinitarian questions: “Do you believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of Heaven and earth? Do you believe in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was born of the Virgin Mary, was crucified, died, and was buried, rose from the dead, and is now seated at the right hand of the Father? Do you believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting?” (Adults received into the Church, and baptized and confirmed according to the Rite of Christian Initiation profess their faith by reciting the Nicene Creed.) – catholicstraightanswers.com/what-is-the-difference-between-the-apostles-creed-and-the-nicene-creed/

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.